Rule Breaker

correcaminos

We bought our points to try all of the resorts. First time we booked we did two nights at the Boardwalk and two nights at Saratoga. We love Saratoga. Also stayed at the Tree Houses at Saratoga which we loved. When we were at Boardwalk this ultra-jerk started a conversation with me basically calling us out as being idiots for staying at Saratoga essentially saying it was the slums of Disney. He proceeded to tell me about the massive amount of points he owned at Boardwalk and Aulani. I'm the type of guy who would have hauled off and sent him to the dentist for major reconstructive surgery, but I figured that I best keep my calm at the "happiest place on earth." However, that doesn't mean you're going to meet people with the most humility or respect.
Check out your annual dues, and try to pay the most you could out of pocket. Don't take a massive loan from Disney.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with SSR. One of my favorite resorts is OKW! They are just great! I do have an SSR booking I'd like to move, but it's a solo trip and I prefer interior hallways for solo trips and to be closer to a park (walk or boat) but I sure am not going to whine if I cannot get a waitlist to go through. SSR isn't beneath me and the BW person just sounds snobby. Ugh.

Phonedave

We own all of our points at SSR, and have stayed in every DVC resort except for BRV, CCV, and Riviera over the last 15 years. We'll hit those eventually. We have stayed in the Treehouses twice, and loved them. We also love SSR, and we are happy to stay there if we can't switch at 7 months, which is rare as we travel in slightly slower times.

Don't listen to idiots like the jerk at Boardwalk. They have no idea what they are talking about, and it's best just to smile at them and move on. Oh, and Boardwalk is our second favorite DVC after SSR. Have stayed there multiple times already during F&W.

There is a DVC group on Facebook where most members lovingly refer to SSR as "The Hood". It is sort of an in joke, nobody means it, and those of us who own there take it as a badge of honor.

There are also a load of other in-jokes about hobo napping, "seltza", leaving your kids on the roof of VWL as a form of child care, and "Owning The DVC".

correcaminos

There is a DVC group on Facebook where most members lovingly refer to SSR as "The Hood". It is sort of an in joke, nobody means it, and those of us who own there take it as a badge of honor.

There are also a load of other in-jokes about hobo napping, "seltza", leaving your kids on the roof of VWL as a form of child care, and "Owning The DVC".
I am not sure I want to know which FB group that one is. Knowing how people hate on SSR and OKW, I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't meant loving by some sadly.

My prior dislike of SSR was all about interior themes (much like VGF) and not much else. I found the updated rooms refreshing. The others left me cold... but considering I dislike VGF more it's definitely not about resort, but how it looks inside. BLT leaves me quite cold too but my kid likes it. Ugh.

James White

Original Poster
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to share your input and first hand experience. In a way, we are all blessed to have the ability to put forth this much time and effort to engage in the DVC culture. I have tuck away money to pay cash for a decent contract and now realize the many different approaches one can take as a entry point. Still thinking through the best next step for me. There is the conservative approach to the buy where you want to stay or where you would not mind staying vs the much more risky approach of buying at the lowest cost and then engage in the hand to hand combat of moving into where you really want to stay at the seven month point. In one way or another, all of you have voiced excellent concerns that fit into these two camps. Again, thank you for sharing. I am appreciate all of the wisdom from this group-Thank you!!

Phonedave

I am not sure I want to know which FB group that one is. Knowing how people hate on SSR and OKW, I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't meant loving by some sadly.

My prior dislike of SSR was all about interior themes (much like VGF) and not much else. I found the updated rooms refreshing. The others left me cold... but considering I dislike VGF more it's definitely not about resort, but how it looks inside. BLT leaves me quite cold too but my kid likes it. Ugh.

It is a very 'interesting' group. They are sticklers for the rules (which I like). Don't decorate your balcony, don't hang stuff on your door, follow the pool hopping rules, etc.

The stuff about SSR being "The hood" and the other in jokes are more because people have joined the group and posted things such as trying to lie about something because they don't want to stay at SSR because it was 'cheap'. It then became a joke about roving gangs at SSR and having to be indoors after dark. There are quite a few SSR owners in that group (including myself).

I myself don't hate any particular resort. There are certain aspects almost every one that I do not like, as well as aspects that I do like. I love the rooms at OKW as well as the layout and location. I do not like the quick serve option or the pool area. While I don't dislike Olivia's, I do find it tiresome. I suspect there menu is like it is because of a small kitchen.

I could likely say similar things about every resort.

Phonedave

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to share your input and first hand experience. In a way, we are all blessed to have the ability to put forth this much time and effort to engage in the DVC culture. I have tuck away money to pay cash for a decent contract and now realize the many different approaches one can take as a entry point. Still thinking through the best next step for me. There is the conservative approach to the buy where you want to stay or where you would not mind staying vs the much more risky approach of buying at the lowest cost and then engage in the hand to hand combat of moving into where you really want to stay at the seven month point. In one way or another, all of you have voiced excellent concerns that fit into these two camps. Again, thank you for sharing. I am appreciate all of the wisdom from this group-Thank you!!

Depending on what your travel plans are, and how large a contract you were looking at, you can also go with option #3

Buy two smaller contracts at two different resorts. Lets say you think you need 600 points a year. You could buy two 300 point contracts.

One year you go to resort #1 and bank resort #2. The next year you use the 600 points in resort #2 and bank resort #1

Or you can do a split stay, booked at 7 months out (some people like those)

nickys

Premium Member
Depending on what your travel plans are, and how large a contract you were looking at, you can also go with option #3

Buy two smaller contracts at two different resorts. Lets say you think you need 600 points a year. You could buy two 300 point contracts.

One year you go to resort #1 and bank resort #2. The next year you use the 600 points in resort #2 and bank resort #1

Or you can do a split stay, booked at 7 months out (some people like those)
If you had two home resorts, you could book a split stay at 11 months out.

It would only be if you wanted to stay at one resort you’d have to wait until 7 months to combine them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom