Rudeness at Chefs Du France

Just thought I'd post something about my experience at Chef's Du France. This past weekend (November 18th-20th), my family and I (as well as my fiancee) went to Chef's Du France in the World Showcase for dinner. As always the "tradition" in my family, we always order the escargot (snails) appetizer. Of course, my fiancee turned her nose up at the idea of eating snails. Well, when we got our snails, this lady sitting at the table across from us looked at me and goes, "Eeeew.... snails.... I hate snails...... are you going to eat that?" I looked at her with the snail on my fork, smiled, and said, "Yep!" as I ate it. Before she left, she looks at me and says, "I hope you get sick." My parents just sat at the table and watched me interact with this lady. They found it amusing, I found it rude. I guess now, I find some humor in the whole thing. ;)

listentotheland

"Stay calm. Don't look down, don't look down! Look up! Just keep your eyes up and keep them that way, o.k.! Waiter there are snails on her plate. Now get them out of here before she sees them! Look away, just look away, keep your eyes that way! You would think that in a fancy restaurant at these prices you could keep the snails off the food! There are so many snails there you can't even see the food! Now take those away and bring us those melted cheese sandwich appetizers you talked me out of!"
-navin r. johnson (steve martin), the jerk

Rotel1026

I can't believe she felt the need to comment in the first place but then to tell you she hopes you get sick? That most definitely is rude. Should have grabbed one of the snails and flung it at her. :lol:

shmmrname

At least it was about a guest.... I saw the Thread title and cringed, but I feel a little better now. At least you still had a good time!

goofyfan13

shmmrname said:
At least it was about a guest.... I saw the Thread title and cringed, but I feel a little better now. At least you still had a good time!

I don't know if we thought the same thing, but I was expecting to see some frech jokes come out of the woodwork. So the first thing I thought when I saw this title was, "Uh, oh." Good thing it was about a guest. :lol:

BTW: I LOVE Escargot! :slurp:

shmmrname

To each their own....

Food and taste is completely unique for every individual. I mean, I hear that some people actually PREFER thin-crust pizza.

Still, it's disheartening an ADULT could act like that.

KeithVH

You're a very good person. Me, it woulda been "No, they're not for eating. You just rub them all over your body - care to join me?" And then getting the expected slap in the back of the head from my better half.

Woody13

Eat Them Raw

2.jpg

barnum42

I thought this was going to be a thread about a waiter being rude (which in fact would just add to the authenticity of a French waiter dealing with people they see as being only used to eating nothing more flavoursome as a cheese burger :lol: )

rainfully

I can't even get over how many levels of wrong that is.

I think its incredibly rude to comment on other's food, no matter how terrible it looks to you. But to be a complete stranger and do it... it's just a million times terrible. That lady needs to mind her own business.

On anther note, I've never had escargot myself... not that I'd be against it just not really willing to fork over the $$ to try something I'm not sure if I'd like.

Grrr... that lady... I just can't get over that someone would actually do that. I'd love to chuck a snail at her head.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
barnum42 said:
I thought this was going to be a thread about a waiter being rude (which in fact would just add to the authenticity of a French waiter dealing with people they see as being only used to eating nothing more flavoursome as a cheese burger :lol: )
I was thinking the same thing.

What the other patron did was rude and what you did was absolutely justified. I see the same reaction from some people when I order octopus sushimi at a Japanese restaurant and will typically respond as you did.

barnum42

rainfully said:
On anther note, I've never had escargot myself... not that I'd be against it just not really willing to fork over the $$ to try something I'm not sure if I'd like.
It's worth doing (IMHO) only to tick it off the list of "Foods I have tried". They taste of nothing but what they are cooked in.

bgraham34

I comment to friends in a joking matter about what they eat. But a complete stranger at a restaurant is something i would never do. There is a time and place for that. But that lady was just plaine rude.

LaughingGravy

The only time I've tried escargot was at Chef's Du France. It was great!
I've had opportunities at other restaurants over the years, but the only time I ever trusted it was at Disney. How's that for confidence in a brand?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom