RSoxNo1's Thanksgiving Update

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I was at Disney from 11/18-11/27 here are my thoughts, opinions, and updates.

Magic Kingdom:
Jungle Cruise: Had arguably the best skipper ever mid week. Stayed with few staple jokes, and spiced it up with his own style and charisma.
Pirates: We were stuck on it while they were taking boats off. This backed up the line a bit which was annoying. It seemed to me that the soundtrack was louder.
Spash Mountain: On the 20th, my girlfriend and I were absolutely soaked coming off this ride. Never been that wet after Splash. Brer Rabbit was circling the bush across from Brer Bear stuck in the tree, but many other things weren't working. The sweeping female bears weren't talking and Brer Rabbit's shadow wasn't going over the hill. The jumping water in the Laughin' Place wasn't jumping either. There was also a large board on the left side of the track approaching the second left hill (the one that often gets spashed as other logs go down the falls). Finally, the waterfall before the Zipadeedooda scene wasn't functioning.
Thunder Mountain: The mouse that hangs down from the tree was missing.
Haunted Mansion: It seems they're putting more people in the preshow area resulting in a backed up disorganized mess waiting to board the ride.
Small World: Boarded up with light seeping out of the cracks during all hours of park operation.
20,000 Leagues: Nothing new here
Peter Pan, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, PhilHarmagic: No real changes, although I thought Christopher Robin has an animatronic in the "flood" scene of Winnie the Pooh. Also not sure if riders were sprayed with water previously on Pooh, if so that has stopped.
Buzz Lightyear: Other then my girlfriend beating me 995,900 to 618,000 nothing to report.
Space: Midweek the finally got smart and began winding the standby line around the interior. They set up polls that divided the fastpass and standby in the interior portion of the ride. This allowed for more people to fit in the building. Now... someone needs to explain to me why for the beginning of the line, the fastpass area is significantly wider then the standby area... shouldn't that be switched?
Stich: Clever to a degree. Stitch sounds like a slightly less annoying Jar Jar Binks. I find myself trying to translate the alien language that lines the walls. The Chili dog scent is a good effect, but it seems the amazing animatronic Stitch is wasted. I wish there was more to the ride where we can see him in the tube. The best part of the animatronic is how he blinks... it looks real.
CoP and Timekeeper: both open at times during the week.

Epcot:
Future World:There aren't many updates for future world. I didn't go on Mission Space b/c I'm not really much of a simulator fan, even of one that good. Test Track needs to find a way to move crowds better, but the cars are seconds apart, so short of building another exterior track it won't happen. Fast passes were usually gone by 11. Although Journey into a psychotic episode has cool effects, I wish they'd at least keep more of the original song. From future world Soarin' is pretty well hidden, However when you get to the American Adventure you can see the large building behind Canada. You can peak into the line area, but nothing is revealed, anything noteworthy is boarded up.
World Showcase: There is a large boarded area near Germany. No idea what's going here.

MGM: The soundtrack on Rockin' Roller coaster seemed softer this trip. Maybe it just seemed that way on different cars/soundtracks. I'm getting annoyed at people that say Disney wastes a large part of the Tower of Terror building. People fail to realize that pretty much the entire building is utilized for the attraction. The abbreviated backlot tour was nice, I wish they forced you around the prop area though. I would have liked to have an excuse to look at that stuff. As a joke, my girlfriend took a picture of the Geo Metro from Big Trouble. The interior of the Motor stunt show looks to be complete (save a few minor things). The seating area appears larger then Indiana Jones and is quite impressive as you see it through the trees on your way to the studios. The fastpass and line areas seem to be complete, so my guess is whenever the training is completed soft openings will begin.

Animal Kingdom: No soundtrack on the Safaris on one of our ride throughs. There were more ostrich's then I remember as well. Several sat alongside the road watching as the trucks drove by. I'd like to recognize the increased throughput time of this ride as well. They've got trucks leaving multiple times per minute, making sure every guest that enters the park can see the animals at least once with a minimal wait. Dinosaur: It baffles me that they can leave four empty seats on a ride vehicle like this. With waits of 45 minutes to an hour this is unacceptable. Perhaps it's just my thinking as a business student that studies ways to make things more effecient, I'd definitely re-consider how some of these rides are operated. Also, please note that the last time I rode this ride, I didn't make it back from the asteroid impact. The ride stopped right after Seeker said, "They're not gonna make it!" If you wanted to know, the afterlife is very dark. One of the species of monkeys in Asia has a baby which was put on stage this week. Finally, saw everest through the walk way. It is absolutely huge. I don't have any pictures, but they don't do it justice. As for the steps lining the banked turn out of the mountain, my guess is they'll be visible when the ride is completed, but they'll be covered with rock work. This seems to be how disney has done things in the past.

All in all a great trip (including a side trip to Universal). Not sure if I'll be going back this year so I made sure to enjoy every minute. One last note: I managed to go the entire week without eating a hamburger.

Disneydreaming

Hi,

I was there from the 18th thru the 26th, Contemporary Towers. You didn't mention how beautiful the weather was. A bit chilly on the evening of the 25th and on the 26th, but compared to summer's heat it was beautiful. The crowds earlier in the week were medium, but by Wednesday the parks were very crowded. Unfortunately, we were unable to ride Test Track, because like you said, the fastpasses were gone by late morning, early afternoon. Our schedule of all the parks was determined by our priority dining schedule, so we could never get to Epcot before 1pm. But I opted for annual passes instead of the package, so we hope to go again next spring. My biggest dissapointment was that Blizard Beach was closed. My kids were upset about it, but then we tried Typhoon Lagoon for the first time and had a blast in the wave pool. Although I WISH it was heated, we got used to the chilly water after a few minutes. Um, I think the wave pool was the only really great thing about this park though. Blizard Beach is much better, hands down, for the variety of fun it offers.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Good point on the weather. Compared to Massachusetts weather it was like I died and went to heaven. Absolutely beautiful. Fast passes really weren't an issue for us. I have an autistic brother so we get a guest assistance pass to prevent him from getting agressive in lines. Again, I should commend Disney for providing us with this option (Universal also accomidated us) which proves to be most beneficial when my brother refuses to break from his routine.

Chape19714

Good Update! To answer your question about the Space Mountain FastPass Line: The FP Side is required to be much wider, becasue the only way the ride is acessible to Wheelchairs is through the FP Line, due to the stairs on the Stand-by side. So that is why it is considerabally wider, and this is good, because, belive me, you need that room in a wheelchiar. Glad you had a good time!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I see you said that CoP and TK was open during the week, but did you ride either of them? What were the crowds and wait times like (if any)?

General Grizz

I was at the park Thanksgiving WEEK, and CoP was pulling in about 13,000 people. Timekeeper had a ton of guests throughout the day. I was told last night that few people were in the theatre around 8, but I guess I have to take into account the parade was going on.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
yeah... my bad grizz about the sweeping rabbits, I didn't read what I wrote after the fact. I didn't go on timekeeper b/c we normally got to the kingdom around supper time and didn't get over to Tomorrowland until later. The theater we were in for CoP was about 40% full. The fact that emphasize Walt's passion for the CoP lead me to believe that it will remain a staple in some way, shape or form.

Nicole

Thanks for a great update! I'm amazed that you didn't manage to eat a hamburger - that's high on my list of "must do's". Thanks also for the description of the afterlife, I've been curious :) Oh if only Timekeeper would stay open through Christmas, I think I'm going to miss it. Five more days and we'll find out!

aimster

Also, please note that the last time I rode this ride, I didn't make it back from the asteroid impact. The ride stopped right after Seeker said, "They're not gonna make it!" If you wanted to know, the afterlife is very dark.
Okay, I just about spewed Mountain Dew on my monitor. :lol:

Bigg Robb

:wave: hi everyone, im pretty new here and i wanted to post on this topic

im 16 and love goin to WDW, its great. me, my mother and my two sisters (5 & 3) went on Thanksgiving day. we live in Jacksonville so it was an easy trip

on Thanksgiving night we had FPs to Big Thunder Mountain and went to ride it at 7PM. It was closed, and had been closed for 30 minutes they said. One CM told me they were doing maitnence and i thought "at 7 at night?!?" then another CM said they are havin technical difficulties. hope no1 was hurt.

but overall great trip, this was my families 4th trip. it was my first time riding Buzz and i only scored 56,000, lol, but had a blast. :sohappy:

and just a quick question, :veryconfu are they planning on revamping Fantasyland anytime soon?? besides Philhar Magic and Pooh it just seems to be kind of worn-out. :snore: are they replacing Snow White w/ something more kid friendly?? seems to scary for young children.

thats all, thanks for your time

-bigg robb

imagineersrock

welcome Robb :wave:

as far as your fantasyland question goes.. Not too much is planned as of now, with the exception of Small world which is currently under a major refurb. Also, the site of the old 20k ride, which is supposedly being turned into a garden area.

thats pretty much it for now...

phichi17

Skipped the hamburgers too

Didn't eat a hamburger the whole trip....ate at CP, Cali Grill, Akershus, The Land pavillion (Italian sub), luau at the POLY, and at POR food court (ribs and chicken again)....probably gained 10lbs on the trip avoiding hamburgers.....

Ringo8n24

phichi17 said:
Didn't eat a hamburger the whole trip....ate at CP, Cali Grill, Akershus, The Land pavillion (Italian sub), luau at the POLY, and at POR food court (ribs and chicken again)....probably gained 10lbs on the trip avoiding hamburgers.....

BTW, the Philly Steak and Cheese at POR is great, but they always run out late in the evening. That is my new goal when we go next is to avoid hamburgers at all costs. I could not even stomach the sight of one for over a week when we returned.

zone15int

Bigg Robb said:
. :snore: are they replacing Snow White w/ something more kid friendly?? seems to scary for young children.

-bigg robb
Snow White was actually updated years ago to make it kid friendly. When I first rode it back in 1985, it scared me half to death. I was 8 yrs old tho :)
When it was kiddy-fied, they added those extra scenes with the 7 dwarves. I remember there used to be more scares and a mine cart with jewels used to roll by you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom