Roy O. Disney locomotive shipped off for rehab

Cloujshe

Original Poster
The time has finally come for a fan favorite Walt Disney World Railroad locomotive. The Roy O. Disney #4 has presumably been shipped to Strasburg for her overhaul:
1000004308.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

It's only the end of the era if it doesn't come back. Is that what you are saying?
No, the Roy is the last locomotive to leave for a rebuild. These locomotives are coming back essentially brand new, the first complete rebuild since 1970.

It’s also the end of an era of not having electric fire starters and other modern additions to the locomotives.

Goofyernmost

No, the Roy is the last locomotive to leave for a rebuild. These locomotives are coming back essentially brand new, the first complete rebuild since 1970.

It’s also the end of an era of not having electric fire starters and other modern additions to the locomotives.
A little on the dramatic side, but OK, I never think of it as the end of a mechanical thing to be rebuilt. I think of it as the ability to continue on. Much like my Pacemaker. It didn't end anything it only allowed me to continue annoying folks and the upgrade to being battery operated. Now that is a useful upgrade.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So part of the design is changed and the rest of the equipment is updated and refurbished. Not the first time and possibly not the last. It began its service as a wood burner in the jungles of the Yucatan peninsula in the late 1910's then converted to fuel oil in the 1950's. When it was retired in 1969 is was bought by Disney and then modified for amusement park use. So if you pick a particular point in time, you ignore its entire history.

TrainsOfDisney

So if you pick a particular point in time, you ignore its entire history.
Yes, that’s part of the fun of steam locomotives. They continue to be modified - it’s fun to watch all the differences over the years.

A little on the dramatic side
Your reply seemed more dramatic than my statement. I was just saying some facts. Like it’s the end of an era when they can’t say “we wants the redhead” anymore. Marks a turning page in the history of the WDW parks, just making a little observation :)

Goofyernmost

Yes, that’s part of the fun of steam locomotives. They continue to be modified - it’s fun to watch all the differences over the years.

Your reply seemed more dramatic than my statement. I was just saying some facts. Like it’s the end of an era when they can’t say “we wants the redhead” anymore. Marks a turning page in the history of the WDW parks, just making a little observation :)
No, the "red head" was a change not an end. Pirates is still operating mostly in it's original form. Its era will end when it has the same fate as, lets say, Horizons in Epcot. The steam train still exists in reality and is just getting its own Pacemaker, so to speak. It will be back, modified to keep up with the long life it has lived and will continue to circle around Magic Kingdom which is were it currently belongs. It will be the end when it is melted down to create the chassis for the newest Tesla car. Observation also but my definition of what ends and era. Everyone's is diffferent. :)

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
No, the "red head" was a change not an end. Pirates is still operating mostly in it's original form. Its era will end when it has the same fate as, lets say, Horizons in Epcot. The steam train still exists in reality and is just getting its own Pacemaker, so to speak. It will be back, modified to keep up with the long life it has lived and will continue to circle around Magic Kingdom which is were it currently belongs. It will be the end when it is melted down to create the chassis for the newest Tesla car.
It was an end for me. Final nail in fact. POTC is mostly skippable with our crew. The attraction is due a renew. Might ride again if wait time is low enough.

Goofyernmost

It was an end for me. Final nail in fact. POTC is mostly skippable with our crew. The attraction is due a renew. Might ride again if wait time is low enough.
Not being critical, just curious, but if the loss of the red head was a final nail for you, why does it seem like you are willing to accept a overall renew. Isn't that even more a burial than just a nail?

The final nail for me was a combination of
1. massive price increase.
2. park reservations and last but certainly not least.
3 Genie Plus/Lightning Lane (this one should be number one, but what it does if you can get past (1.) is to make it difficult to see anything worth seeing)

Minor changes have meant nothing if you are priced out of a life long semi-obsession. For now at least the train will return and the boats will still glide through while y'all sing "a pirates life for me".

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Not being critical, just curious, but if the loss of the red head was a final nail for you, why does it seem like you are willing to accept a overall renew. Isn't that even more a burial than just a na
I've already discounted it. Can it fall lower? Sure! But I'd still welcome a change. It's not just additions mind you, overhauls can include removal too! And there's plenty to remove. And plenty to fix. I'm not foolish enough to think that it can't get worse, but I am still foolish enough to think Disney can course correct. So bring on the overhaul! Until then POTC is a pass.

Not to derail any further but I'm glad the trains are still getting some love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom