Rowl Greenhalgh

Mark Wyndham-Jones

Original Poster
Rowl Bam 1.JPG
Rowl Poo 1.JPG
Hi Peeps,
View attachment 224926 View attachment 224926
I'm new to this discussion forum so please bare with me.

I have recently acquired a couple of original watercolors by a Rowl Greenhalgh who is said to have worked for, and was a family friend, of Walt Disney himself.

I have found very little information on Rowl Greenhalgh and can only say for sure that he was an animator in Australia with his own production company.

My question is, does anyone know if he did work for Walt Disney, when and in what capacity (and any other info as i'm not even sure if he is still alive?).

It's always nice to know a little more about an artist you have pieces by.

Thanks for any help available.
Mark (UK)

GT2180

View attachment 224929 View attachment 224930 Hi Peeps,

I have recently acquired a couple of original watercolors by a Rowl Greenhalgh who is said to have worked for, and was a family friend, of Walt Disney himself.

I have found very little information on Rowl Greenhalgh and can only say for sure that he was an animator in Australia with his own production company.

My question is, does anyone know if he did work for Walt Disney, when and in what capacity (and any other info as i'm not even sure if he is still alive?).

Mark (UK)

Just arrived on this Forum myself.

I knew Rowl personally and he painted several paintings for me that I still have. Two of them are very large and I had to really lean on him to do them as there was a lot of work. This was perhaps 20 years ago or more. He has been long gone as he was quite elderly at the time. He was actually a bit of a character and a nice guy. He did work for Disney and was one of his original artists. I saw photos of him with Walt Disney and saw a letter from Walt to Rowl. So he was the genuine article. He told me he had permission from Disney to produce some paintings on the side as long as he did not do it as a business. But I would not make too much of that one... might be true and might not be. So he lived in a retirement village on the Gold Coast of Queenland and produced paintings as a way to make a little extra money. Your paintings are definitely done by Rowl and that is his signature.

Mark Wyndham-Jones

Original Poster
Hi GT2180,

Thank you for the confirmation, I must admit the quality of the painting are really well done especially since you mentioned that Rowl was quite elderly around the time (painting taken year 2000).
I think (Without measuring them) they are approx 15 inch x 10 inch in size, would you know the possible price I could put on them if selling,, although they would look good on my wall.

GT2180

Your paintings are his regular size. In 2000 my guess he was into his 80's and that would have been very near the end of his painting career. I knew him during 1994 -97 period and lost touch with him after that. For the record I spoke to his neighbour a couple of years ago. He did have family but I have no idea how to contact them. It would be good for someone to do a biography and his family would be best for that. He told me one of the Brisbane universities included him in a course they did and the students each year would visit him. So that university would have good information on him. Perhaps University of Queensland (UQ). There is interest as he was quite prolific and there could be several hundred of his paintings held by people. I have no idea how much his paintings are worth. I suspect less than we would like. He is not really known in the right circles and a biography would help that. His paintings are unique in that he used a very old style that was long since superceeded by digital technology. The detail is amazing and each of his characters had a unique expression on their faces which is very lifelike and something we could all understand and association with. He showed me some memorabilia from his Disney days. Including a photo of him with Walt and an autographed photograph of Walt Disney to Rowl. It is good history these days. I do have at least one photo of him.

Last edited:

Cassidee-aussie

Your paintings are his regular size. In 2000 my guess he was into his 80's and that would have been very near the end of his painting career. I knew him during 1994 -97 period and lost touch with him after that. For the record I spoke to his neighbour a couple of years ago. He did have family but I have no idea how to contact them. It would be good for someone to do a biography and his family would be best for that. He told me one of the Brisbane universities included him in a course they did and the students each year would visit him. So that university would have good information on him. Perhaps University of Queensland (UQ). There is interest as he was quite prolific and there could be several hundred of his paintings held by people. I have no idea how much his paintings are worth. I suspect less than we would like. He is not really known in the right circles and a biography would help that. His paintings are unique in that he used a very old style that was long since superceeded by digital technology. The detail is amazing and each of his characters had a unique expression on their faces which is very lifelike and something we could all understand and association with. He showed me some memorabilia from his Disney days. Including a photo of him with Walt and an autographed photograph of Walt Disney to Rowl. It is good history these days. I do have at least one photo of him.
Hello i was just reading this just now and rowl greenhalgh is actually my great grandfathe, I have loads of paintings of his and he was such a great artist.

Cassidee-aussie

Mark (UK)
Hello, I was reading this just now and I love reading and seeing my great grandfathers paintings and his history.

Mark Wyndham-Jones

Original Poster
Hello i was just reading this just now and rowl greenhalgh is actually my great grandfathe, I have loads of paintings of his and he was such a great artist.
Hi Cassidee-aussie would you be able to find out if your great grandfather did actually work for, or was a friend of Walt Disney (Maybe ask an older relative?) my email contact is markwyndhamjones @ gmail . com

Merlin777

Hi I live in Scotland UK. I have one rowl greenhalgh disney paintings and I am in the process of buying two more. What disney characters did rowl paint and do they come up regularly for sale and if so where in Australia? I would appreciate your help or advice. Many thanks.

Chemical Media

I knew Rowl personally and he painted several paintings for me that I still have. Two of them are very large and I had to really lean on him to do them as there was a lot of work. This was perhaps 20 years ago or more. He has been long gone as he was quite elderly at the time. He was actually a bit of a character and a nice guy. He did work for Disney and was one of his original artists. I saw photos of him with Walt Disney and saw a letter from Walt to Rowl. So he was the genuine article. He told me he had permission from Disney to produce some paintings on the side as long as he did not do it as a business. But I would not make too much of that one... might be true and might not be. So he lived in a retirement village on the Gold Coast of Queenland and produced paintings as a way to make a little extra money. Your paintings are definitely done by Rowl and that is his signature.
Dear Cassidy, I wonder whether I could trouble you. We are trying to get a better quality clip and also clear for use, a clip produced by Rowl.

Since his passing, we don't know who can give us this permission and the details at the NFSA are outdated. Chemical Media are working on a history documentary series for SBS. You are welcome to contact me at joany@chemicalmedia.tv. Would be much appreciated.

Chemical Media

Dear Cassidee, I wonder whether I could trouble you. We are trying to get a better quality clip and also clear for use, a clip produced by your grandfather Rowl.

Since his passing, we don't know who can give us this permission and the details at the NFSA are outdated. Chemical Media are working on a history documentary series for SBS. You are welcome to contact me at joany@chemicalmedia.tv. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bushy Peach

Mark (UK)
Hi Mark,
My name is Bob Braithwaite here in Australia, My Sister Marian was married to Rowal GREENHALGH,'s son Errol', who is now deceased, as with Rowal, Errol GREENHALGH,'s son, Scott GREENHALGH, I don't know how you can contact him, though he is on the Australian Facebook, Scott lives on the Lives in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia, if you can access the Australian Facebook, you may be able contact him that way, also his Sister Kelly Greenhalgh (nee Hanna) 'KelAnn Machintobe', this looks like the name she goes under now on Facebook, the bloke she will be getting married to soon. Kelly may be better to contact first. she is the older and she may be able to give you some information on her grandfather?

Sorry, I was going to send accouple photos so you would recognises them, but the system wouldn't let me!
Let me know how you get on? i'm not sure what they know?

Good luck, bob Braithwaite Queensland Australia.
bobbraithwaite8@gmail.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom