RotR: Disney is still not at Universal's level

Glasgow

I can agree with the OP here. The immersive detailing on RotR looks incredible, but the actual experience appears to be dominated by copious levels of detail and not as much visceral thrill. But to each their own .. obviously.

Having recently ridden Hagrids, Spiderman, HP FJ and Gringotts, RotR has a lot to live up to and I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

StarshipDisney

That is how I knew that the poster had no actual intention on enjoying their visit. The confirmation bias is strong with that poster. Not really worth addressing. Let them go to Disney and enjoy it.

Not sure why you would think we paid good money for a week at Universal and "had no intention on enjoying their visit". That is ridiculous.

As I said "to each their own"; but if you want to say Universal is better, then I have plenty of reverse argument. Lets start with say...tickets:

- At Universal, you wait in line and check in to get room and club keys. The you get told to walk to another location at the hotel where you wait in another line for pre-paid park and HHN tickets. Then you get told to go to the park next day and wait in another line for the pre-paid photo package. Then on the night of HHN, you go wait in another very, very long line to get the pre-paid RIP tour tickets. Then you have to manage all those separate items. Sorry Universal, but the Disney one-stop magic band beats the crap out of your drawn out and ancient process.

- Don't get me started on the horrible and mandatory ride locker system. It was standing room only and hardly that. Get a locker at the bottom and people using a higher locker will run over you. Very aggravating. If you really enjoy this, then I'm happy for you. Enjoy.

- Lots more negative from our trip, but a comment on HHN: they talk up the storyline detail so much but then herd you at a brisk pace through the haunted houses like cattle with employees every 10 feet making sure you do not stop for 2 seconds. We went on this vacation specifically for the HHN and the RIP tour...but what a disappointment that was. Again, maybe some enjoy that, but we simply did not.

People are different and I know many may love Universal. But you seem to think I am just biased against Universal which is incorrect. We planned that trip for a long time, splurged for the Portofino Bay Hotel (which was wonderful), and did not spend a lot of money with "no intention of enjoying their visit". Universal is just not for us and as I am sure many love Universal, I am also pretty sure some may agree with me.

retroeric

Original Poster
I guess a more specific gripe is that RotR's vehicles (outside of the drop part) don't really interact with the action in the ride. You're just an outside observer, watching what's going on. In Universal rides such as Spider-Man, Kong, Transformers etc the action interacts with the vehicles. The vehicle actually reacts to characters pushing it, stomping onto it, explosions, etc. You really feel the urgency of being part of the action. That is not the case with RotR where you basically go from room to room to watch as an outsider.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I've ridden RotR twice now, and while I truly loved the overall experience and level of immersion, I feel like it's missing something very important- THRILLS. I'm sorry but this ride is lacking "juice" in the movement of the ride vehicles. It's just too tame and overall not very thrilling. If the ride vehicles had some of the quicker acceleration and urgency of, say, Indy at DL or Spiderman at IOA, or the multi-direction movement of FJ, it would have locked itself up as the greatest ride ever created. Instead, Disney simply made a relatively slow-moving trackless dark ride ala Mystic Manor or Hunny Hunt with Star Wars theming and special effects. I still think the overall experience is outstanding, but it's just not all that thrilling.

I realize Disney's goal was to make it kid friendly and be inclusive of guests of all ages, but then why put the drop near the end of the ride? That one drop required them to put warning signs all over the ride about sudden drops and everything. If they're going to make one tiny thrilling spot, why not just make the whole ride thrilling?

I think it's remarkable that Universal has had their Spider-Man ride for 20 years now, and Disney's still can't create anything to top it. And they're not even close to FJ.

Note: I still think RotR ranks as one of the very best, but that's entirely due to the overall magnitude of the attraction and storyline as well as the obviously great theming and special effects.
Thanks for sharing

JusticeDisney

That is how I knew that the poster had no actual intention on enjoying their visit. The confirmation bias is strong with that poster. Not really worth addressing. Let them go to Disney and enjoy it.
You act as if nobody could genuinely prefer FP over EP, which is just ridiculous. Personally, I think the EP system is far superior, but I also understand that it is a subjective thing and the fact that someone else might happen to prefer the FP system doesn’t necessarily mean they have a bias.

LUVofDIS

You act as if nobody could genuinely prefer FP over EP, which is just ridiculous. Personally, I think the EP system is far superior, but I also understand that it is a subjective thing and the fact that someone else might happen to prefer the FP system doesn’t necessarily mean they have a bias.

I will add, Express Pass is superior, the reason I believe it is, is because not everyone receives it. FP+, everyone gets three up front choices. All are equal, that is except for the very limited that get the extra FP+ or the very few that get the VIP tour. All-in-all, I would prefer to see it go back to old school, no special passes at all.

Stripes

I guess a more specific gripe is that RotR's vehicles (outside of the drop part) don't really interact with the action in the ride. You're just an outside observer, watching what's going on. In Universal rides such as Spider-Man, Kong, Transformers etc the action interacts with the vehicles. The vehicle actually reacts to characters pushing it, stomping onto it, explosions, etc. You really feel the urgency of being part of the action. That is not the case with RotR where you basically go from room to room to watch as an outsider.
Because those kinds of motions don’t fit the story of the ride. Disney could’ve purchased ride vehicles that have those motions. The ride vehicles Disney purchased for Tokyo’s Beauty and the Beast attraction, for example, have motion. They opted not to because those motions don’t fit the story of being in a Star Destroyer. They made a wise decision.

I feel like most theme park fans appreciate a refined, well-executed story far more than thrills. If it’s thrills in a dark ride you’re looking for, I’d say The Hollywood Tower Hotel has been the king ever since it opened. As far as story, Rise of the Resistance has the most well-executed, impeccable story of any ride whose story revolves around the rider. The scale and flawless execution of the story are truly something to behold.

Besides, I don’t get any thrills from Spidey. I get jostled around and motion sick. I appreciate the ride from a technical standpoint given its age, but the story is greatest hits Spidey villain edition. Personally, I don’t find it very compelling or sophisticated.

retroeric

Original Poster
Because those kinds of motions don’t fit the story of the ride. Disney could’ve purchased ride vehicles that have those motions. The ride vehicles Disney purchased for Tokyo’s Beauty and the Beast attraction, for example, have motion. They opted not to because those motions don’t fit the story of being in a Star Destroyer. They made a wise decision.

I feel like most theme park fans appreciate a refined, well-executed story far more than thrills. If it’s thrills in a dark ride you’re looking for, I’d say The Hollywood Tower Hotel has been the king ever since it opened. As far as story, Rise of the Resistance has the most well-executed, impeccable story of any ride whose story revolves around the rider. The scale and flawless execution of the story are truly something to behold.

Besides, I don’t get any thrills from Spidey. I get jostled around and motion sick. I appreciate the ride from a technical standpoint given its age, but the story is greatest hits Spidey villain edition. Personally, I don’t find it very compelling or sophisticated.
I'm not saying they should have taken RotR, the way it is now, and forced the vehicles to become reactionary to what's going on. I agree that's not what being in a star destroyer allows. What I'm saying is, I believe they made the ride that way BECAUSE they don't know how to get the vehicles more involved. So they planned from the beginning an attraction that would basically be a glorified walkthrough. 20 years after Spidey and they still don't have anything to show for it at that technical level.

Again, don't get me wrong, RotR is a fantastic attraction and experience. But when you really think about it, it's a Mystic Manor or Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Star Wars skin and a lot of pre-show bells and whistles. It's still a standard "let's go room to room and see different scenes as an outsider". I can tell you this, it's a lot easier to create an attraction like that, then it is to have the vehicles actually synced up to the scenery/footage where you are REALLY part of the action, something Universal has been doing now for 20 years.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

No, but there has still been “it looks nice, BUT....”

there is a feeling that NOTHING Disney does will ever be good enough. We complained about Epcot, now that the park is getting some love, we moved onto HS, now that it's got things going on, we complain how tired and old MK is, I'm sure after the upgrades in that park, it will be onto the animal kingdom beat down. No matter what rides open, it will never be "good enough"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney is in a no-win situation when it comes to thrill rides. The common mantra of "It's Disney. How bad can it be?" is so prevalent that guests ignore numerous warnings and then march straight to guest services demanding the moon when little Jimmy got traumatized and ruined their once in a lifetime Disney trip.

Case in point; Alien Encounter. Disney put warnings on top of warnings on that show. They even put in a 48" height limit on a theater show to try and stem the problems.

In spite of all that it was the most complained about attraction in WDW.

That was until they made M:S.

Again, Disney pushed the envelope of a thrill ride. They had warnings out the wazoo that guests ignored and like before, marched straight to guest services when they tossed their cookies.

I honestly do not think we will ever see a ride more intense than an RnRC or E:E in an American Disney park again.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I love both parks for different reasons, and my family likes to visit both. I think Uni has more thrill rides but relies way too much on screens( and some give me a headache to ride, the way my eyes work, I dont catch all 3d sequences and there are others out there like me!). Disney has more rides you can ride as a family. I still think Disney has nothing as immersive and breathtaking as Diagon Alley. And I say that as someone who was not a super fan of Harty Potter before visiting it the first time, it's so good it actually compels people to want to see the movies and read the books.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What about Tron?
Tron is a very mild coaster. It has a top speed of less than 60 mph, is under 80' in height and has no inversions. It will be a fun, incredibly well themed coaster, but the thrills are pretty mild.

When you compare Tron to something like Millennium Force at Cedar Point that is over 300' tall and hits speeds over 90 mph, Tron looks like a kiddie ride at the local fair.

retroeric

Original Poster
Tron is a very mild coaster. It has a top speed of less than 60 mph, is under 80' in height and has no inversions. It will be a fun, incredibly well themed coaster, but the thrills are pretty mild.

When you compare Tron to something like Millennium Force at Cedar Point that is over 300' tall and hits speeds over 90 mph, Tron looks like a kiddie ride at the local fair.
I've ridden Tron, and it's not mild. It's no less mild than RnRC, despite having no inversions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom