Rope Dropping MK EMH

ELeigh

I have read a lot about rope dropping MK and I am just wondering if anyone can give me more information on what to expect rope dropping on an EMH day? (I know that some will say don't do it but there's no other park that will work for this particular day on my trip). What time do they let you in the gates? Is there an opening show? What is the process for comfirming hotel guests? How long will it take to navigate to the lands/rides from the opening time on an average day?
Sorry for so many questions I am just nervous after a horrible rope drop experience at DL a few months ago!

Weather_Lady

The last time we visited MK on an EMH day, they opened up the gates about 15 minutes before official EMH opening (8am), with no opening show (just a brief announcement, maybe). We scanned our MagicBands at the tapstiles, per usual (nothing more is needed to confirm that you are a hotel guest - the MagicBand knows all).

My children and I arrived later than we'd anticipated that morning -- exactly around 7:45am as guests were beginning to enter the park (it is possible that the gates were opened even earlier, and that people were being held at a rope someplace along Main Street, but we weren't in a position to see if that was the case) -- so we were on the heels of the rope drop crowd rather than at the front of it.

After a brief pause at Bag Check and scanning our MagicBands at the tapstiles, we passed through the gates ourselves around 7:50am, and headed to Tomorrowland. In the next two hours (we had to leave by 10am to get back to our resort for DME), we hit Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, 7DMT (with FP+), Splash Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbeaan (and took a 15-minute detour to chase down a hat my son inadvertently left on 7DMT -- happily, the hat was found!). There was no chaos or craziness -- just strolling from one attraction to the other. Did I mention that this was the Monday before Thanksgiving, 2016, so the crowds were insane by the time we left (and would reach a 10/10 level by noon)? That being said, we practically had the place to ourselves during the first 2 hours, and were able to hit 6 of the biggest headliners from one end of the park to the other with little-or-no wait, and use only one FP+. So in other words, regardless of the expected crowd level, you can get a whole lot done at rope drop!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ELeigh

Original Poster
what went wrong at Disneyland with rope drop?
After a relatively dead weekend at DL I bravely (maybe foolishly?) thought I would be able to bring my two young kids into the DCA park for a few rides while we waited for DH to checkout of the hotel. When we arrived it must have been horrible timing because the line for DCA extended all the way to DL enterance and it was a mob of people waiting to get in. I must have hit it just at the wrong time where I wasn't early enough but would have done better being there a bit later when they opened the gates so people would have somewhere to disperse to. It was just a nightmare and I decided the best plan was to turn around and go back to DS because I was not prepared but people were not very understanding and wouldn't let us get back through the escape the crowd. I would hope MK would not have this problem with much more of an overflow area leading up to the park but I am still a little afraid from the whole ordeal.

Upvote 0

ELeigh

Original Poster
The last time we visited MK on an EMH day, they opened up the gates about 15 minutes before official EMH opening (8am), with no opening show (just a brief announcement, maybe). We scanned our MagicBands at the tapstiles, per usual (nothing more is needed to confirm you are a hotel guest).

My children and I arrived later than we'd anticipated that morning -- exactly around 7:45am as guests were beginning to enter the park -- so we were on the heels of the rope drop crowd rather than at the front of it. After a brief pause at Bag Check and scanning our MagicBands at the tapstiles, we passed through the gates ourselves around 7:50am, and headed to Tomorrowland. In the next two hours (we had to leave by 10am to get back to our resort for DME), we hit Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, 7DMT (with FP+), Splash Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbeaan. Did I mention that this was the day before Thanksgiving, 2016, so the crowds were insane by the time we left? That being said, we practically had the place to ourselves during the first 2 hours, and were able to hit 6 of the biggest headliners from one end of the park to the other with little-or-no wait, and use only one FP+. So in other words, you get a whole lot done at rope drop!

Thank you! This helps make me feel a lot better about my plan :). I will be happy with just accomplishing a few attractions before our FP windows open up (thinking of making them starting at 10 for a park opening of 9) then hopefully sneak a couple between FPs. We will have another MK day on the trip so if any waits are longer than anticipated I'm fine with moving on.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

[QUOTE="ELeigh, post: 8055372, member: 121814"I would hope MK would not have this problem with much more of an overflow area leading up to the park but I am still a little afraid from the whole ordeal.[/QUOTE]

You're right about this -- the "waiting" area between the tapstiles and the front gates (and even between the Bag Check stations and the tapstiles) can accommodate hundreds of people, and once the gates open, it empties very quickly. Unless you're visiting on Thanksgiving or Christmas or on some other day when record amounts of people will be attending, you shouldn't find rope drop to be an intimidating experience.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

OOPS - I have a correction! I just went back and re-read my trip report from that visit. According to what I wrote back then when my memories were freshest, there WAS a Welcome Show that morning, and when we arrived at 7:45am it was just finishing. Of course, that was when they did the Welcome Show over the front gates. Now they do it at Cinderella Castle -- so if they do it at rope drop on an EMH day during your visit, that would actually open up the entrance even more, as crowds would be let all the way down Main Street (with cast members holding ropes across the entrances to each land until the show was over) to watch the Welcome Show, before the [rest of the] park officially opened.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
OOPS - I have a correction! I just went back and re-read my trip report from that visit. According to what I wrote back then when my memories were freshest, there WAS a Welcome Show that morning, and when we arrived at 7:45am it was just finishing. Of course, that was when they did the Welcome Show over the front gates. Now they do it at Cinderella Castle -- so if they do it at rope drop on an EMH day during your visit, that would actually open up the entrance even more, as crowds would be let all the way down Main Street (with cast members holding ropes across the entrances to each land until the show was over) to watch the Welcome Show, before the [rest of the] park officially opened.

On EMH days, the Welcome Show is still performed at regular park opening time. So when they open the gates, you can then go wherever you want to.

Also the security checks have been moved back, so all there is to do at the MK entrance is the ticket tapstiles. Also I'm not sure if anyone would get past the TTC if they drove there and were staying offsite.

Does anyone know if they check bands or anything at the TTC?

Upvote 0

Legendary

Has anyone rope dropped MK recently? Where do people start lining up for 7 Dwarfs? We usually get a FP and RD Space so never really payed attention to where people lined up or where they were led to but I vaguely recall seeing them being led over the bridge towards teacups. Is that correct? I am assuming the Castle would be closed for walk thru’s.

Upvote 0

JohnyKaz2078

Has anyone rope dropped MK recently? Where do people start lining up for 7 Dwarfs? We usually get a FP and RD Space so never really payed attention to where people lined up or where they were led to but I vaguely recall seeing them being led over the bridge towards teacups. Is that correct? I am assuming the Castle would be closed for walk thru’s.

I rope-dropped MK in October with my family. It was a Mickey's Party Date (Friday) and the park was closed from 6pm and onward for the party. We came up 40 minutes before opening and we were OK. All of the Fastpasses for the Mine Train were booked for this day and we managed to get 3 for Peter Pan, Space and Big Thunder. When I was there the line for SDMT was on the bridge that leads to Teacups. Now I've seen that people are held all the way to Cosmic Ray's Cafe. We rope-dropped and ended up waiting 10-15 minutes. By the time we were out the posted wait was 75 minutes and the line was backed up all the way to Storybook Circus. Go figure....:)

Upvote 0

RKSteel

Facing the Castle, take the first bridge to the right of the Castle, (not the one w/ the TL archway) Cosmic Rays will be on your right when you cross it, then head to 7DMT.

Upvote 0

Legendary

Thanks. That really clears things up. Would hate to get up early and end up lining up in the wrong spot. I learned my lesson once before and always check the forums 1st now.

Made the mistake of trying to go to Big Thunder at rope drop during EMH...that side of the park is closed 🤪

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom