Room Upgrade

Burgstressera

Have any of you ever upgraded your room at check in?

Meaning changed from a standard view to a garden or water view...

If so, how does it work and what are the chances I'd be able to do so?

Also does anyone have any tips for ensuring we get a King Bed. I've requested it, but they keep saying it's not guaranteed. My husband and I are going to be very disappointed if we wind up with 2 double beds and are sleeping separately for our 4 year wedding anniversary trip...probably a little more info than you wanted to know, right?!?! :lol:

Any info or tips any of your may have would be greatly appreciated.

tikiman

Upgrades are usually given because of a circumstance like overbooking, rooms closed unexpectedly for repairs, etc. They make it seem at check in that it was just some extra magic but there is usually a reason behind it. Upgrades are rare. This came from front desk staff and management.

I don’t know that there is a way to help you get the king bed. I did not think the YC had doubles in the rooms but we had a king bed room at the YC so hopefully someone else can answer that.

Now we did get a king bedroom as requested but I think that was because it was noted that we were on our honeymoon and it did have a water view that we did not pay for but we were told that the king bedrooms (at that time) were not requested much since they are smaller rooms.

Upvote 0

scotth1224

My wife and I requested a King Bed for our Honeymoon. The request was made 9 months ahead and we didn't get it so we were stuck with two beds for our honeymoon...and this was this month 9-10/9-17(offpeak)....Good Luck!!!!
The only way I know to get a for sure King Bed is to reserve a one bedroom villa at a DVC resort......not bad price...about the same as a standard deluxe resort room and more space...and a whirlpool tub!!!!!

Upvote 0

samanthadelong

I booked our honeymoon which is in 9 days (our wedding is oct 7th) through Disney reservations and they put us in the Port Orleans and they asked me if I would like a king bed and they gave it to me at no extra charge. I only booked 2 and a half months in advance. Maybe it has to do with were you stay. Do you really get extra stuff at the parks if you were a button saying it is your honeymoon?

Upvote 0

Burgstressera

Original Poster
When my husband and I honeymooned in WDW 4 years ago we wore the hats and we also had shirts that we wore.

Lots of people said congratulations, but no special treatment. We didn't mind though - we still had an awesome time!

I have heard of many people getting special treatment and with the Year of a Million Dreams going on I would wear your pins - you never know with Disney!

Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoom!

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

I have gotten upgrades on several occasions -- most recently this past weekend at the Contemporary from a Garden Wing room to a Tower room. It was my DD's birthday. Then, last year for my DD's birthday we got an upgrade to delux savannah at AKL from a water view. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not. As for the King bed, remind them at check-in and that usually helps alot, especially if you are willing to wait until later in the day instead of getting your room immediately.

Upvote 0

sarajo

I'm sure that if you were willing to pay for the upgrade, you would get it-- if there is availability.

At the deluxe resorts, I think you'll at least have a queen-sized bed. I've stayed at 3 of the deluxes and it seems they have queens and not doubles. That should help a little bit if you are unable to get the king.

Have a great anniversary trip!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Have any of you ever upgraded your room at check in?

Meaning changed from a standard view to a garden or water view...

If so, how does it work and what are the chances I'd be able to do so?

Also does anyone have any tips for ensuring we get a King Bed. I've requested it, but they keep saying it's not guaranteed. My husband and I are going to be very disappointed if we wind up with 2 double beds and are sleeping separately for our 4 year wedding anniversary trip...probably a little more info than you wanted to know, right?!?! :lol:

Any info or tips any of your may have would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately there is no one sure fired way to get a king bed unless the room category you are booking into always has a king bed. There are a couple of things I can tell you that will help increase the probability of your request being honored. First every time you make modifications to your reservation always have the cast member read back your requests following the change. Special requests are sometimes erased when making modifications to a reservation. This is due to a software glitch and not the cast member. Second get to the resort early and be willing to check in late. Politely remind the cast member of your king bed request and let him/her know that you are willing to be a flexible as possible in order to get that request honored.

On the upgrade thing. Free upgrades are now only given out due to operational needs of the resort. If you ask for an upgrade and it is available you will be charged the difference. My advice would to be really nice to the cast member, engage in small talk and maybe ask if they could recommend a good restaurant on property for your anniversary dinner. This will clue them into the fact that you are celebrating something without looking like you are fishing for freebies. I have generally found that when the free upgrades need to be given out they seem to go to the guy that is making the cast member's day behind the counter a little bit brighter vs the guy that treats them rudely.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Unfortunately there is no one sure fired way to get a king bed unless the room category you are booking into always has a king bed. There are a couple of things I can tell you that will help increase the probability of your request being honored. First every time you make modifications to your reservation always have the cast member read back your requests following the change. Special requests are sometimes erased when making modifications to a reservation. This is due to a software glitch and not the cast member. Second get to the resort early and be willing to check in late. Politely remind the cast member of your king bed request and let him/her know that you are willing to be a flexible as possible in order to get that request honored.

On the upgrade thing. Free upgrades are now only given out due to operational needs of the resort. If you ask for an upgrade and it is available you will be charged the difference. My advice would to be really nice to the cast member, engage in small talk and maybe ask if they could recommend a good restaurant on property for your anniversary dinner. This will clue them into the fact that you are celebrating something without looking like you are fishing for freebies. I have generally found that when the free upgrades need to be given out they seem to go to the guy that is making the cast member's day behind the counter a little bit brighter vs the guy that treats them rudely.

I don't think it can be said any better than that.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I booked our honeymoon which is in 9 days (our wedding is oct 7th) through Disney reservations and they put us in the Port Orleans and they asked me if I would like a king bed and they gave it to me at no extra charge. I only booked 2 and a half months in advance. Maybe it has to do with were you stay. Do you really get extra stuff at the parks if you were a button saying it is your honeymoon?
It is really a crap shoot. We got plenty of congratulations from the cast members when we wore the wedding ears but nothing like free stuff. There were other guests that bought drinks for us at dinner one evening. However, with the new promotion you might put yourself in a little bit better situation to win something by wearing the wedding ears.

Upvote 0

drei

I used to work at the front desk at the Y&B. I can tell you from experience it is hard to get a King bed regardless of how long ago you made your reservation. There are very few king beds in the hotels. This is because the majority of guests are families. The more flexible you are the more likely you are to get it. Often people would have a mile long list of requests and would be horrified if we could not meet every one.

As far as upgrades go the front desk staff can not do it unless you are paying extra for it or it is given out at random. We had little to no power. In cases of terrible issues sometimes managers can help with these things.

Upvote 0

tamibar

My husband and I were upgraded for free to concierge @ the POLY in June When I made the reservations, I told them it was our 10th anniv. At check-in it was "Aloha" are you checking in?. I gave my name and she said "Happy Anniv. and congrats. you have been upgraded to concierge for free !" I was speechless, well I did remember to say thank you. Enjoy your trips!

Upvote 0

Burgstressera

Original Poster
I am willing to pay for the upgrade - not a problem.

Thanks so much to all of you so far for your suggestions and feedback.

Cross your fingers for me that our request is fulfilled.

Upvote 0

scotth1224

I truely hope that your request is honored. Try not to get upset if it isn't!
Have a magical time!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

On my past trip last week staying at the Lodge I paid for the Standard view and was upgraded to Courtyard view on the first level which was great. We walked out our room right into the pool. Ah.

Upvote 0

cm2k

We paid to have a Poly Lagoon view, we were celebrating a special occasion and placed a request into them for a castle view - they were BRILLIANT and for free upgraded us to a Concierge Lagoon view for our celebration :D I was so amazed and grateful to them, really made the trip! :D

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: This isnt as great as some of the others, but, when we went to POP for our anniversary they gave us a room overlooking the lake. also, they left balloons and an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie with congratulations on it. we picked up the best wishes pins at guest relations at the MK and a CM at Cosmic Rays gave us a free chocolate cake dessert on him. that was nice. we got lots of attention from the CM's also. have a magical trip. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

jjgoo

Sounds like having a pleasant and relaxed attitude is what gets you the farthest. Other than that it's sort of luck of the draw. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for my honeymoon on the 23rd.

Congratulations to everyone else that is celebrating. And thanks to everyone that posted so much good information about personal experience. IMHO this is a very good thread. :)

Upvote 0

Yanks07

Stayed @ BC last year for 20'th anniv. and requested King. They gave us 2 Queens instead. Called desk and told them we were celebrating our anniv. and that 2 beds were not going to work. They put us in a hospitality suite, King bed and tons of room. Happy Anniversary:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Austin1

I have a similar question.

I just booked AK lodge pool view rooms for Jan. They told me there were no standard rooms left, so now I'm being forced to pay for a pool view. Is there anyway (since there are no standard rooms left) I can get the standard rate since that's what I wanted?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom