Room security checks

jaklgreen

You also have to take into account that the interaction with the person is playing a role here as well. If you're friendly to the person doing the check and they see that you're a family with children you become a lot less of a risk than say, a single person who seems highly annoyed that you're checking their room.
I'm a single person that gets annoyed at pointless big brother, that does not make me a terrorist. And unless they are going through your bags, which they say that they are not, you can stash whatever you want in them.

HMFan999

I'm a single person that gets annoyed at pointless big brother, that does not make me a terrorist. And unless they are going through your bags, which they say that they are not, you can stash whatever you want in them.
And I can assure you that if you make a big scene about someone doing a room check that next knock on your door will be a couple sheriffs deputy's with some questions. Don't like it, stay home.

Polydweller

And you are thinking incorrectly about this. One of the biggest issues impacting hotels, and not talked about much, is trafficking in human especially kids. Disney would be a prime spot to try this with all the kids there. Checking a room doesn’t necessarily mean they are looking for weapons or terrorists but something more sinister. And yes most hotels are now on the lookout for this and it has been uncovered.

So it isn’t pointless or big brother at all.

SteveAZee

For those staying in villas, especially the two story, three bedroom Grand Villas at OKW... do they check each bedroom as well? It seems like a lot of work, but at the same time the 'check' seems pointless if they're not looking in each bedroom.

Perhaps they're just making sure the 'feel' of each room/villa/home is normal, vs. piles of mattresses in flames or chickens running around wild?

jaklgreen

And I can assure you that if you make a big scene about someone doing a room check that next knock on your door will be a couple sheriffs deputy's with some questions. Don't like it, stay home.

I never said anything about making a scene so I don't know where you got that from. My concerns are valid. As a single female traveler, I am more concerned with my safety then their need to spy on people. IDC if they come in while I am in the park, but I don't think that they should be randomly knocking on people's doors. Set up a time to come in that works with the guest's schedule.

unmitigated disaster

And you are thinking incorrectly about this. One of the biggest issues impacting hotels, and not talked about much, is trafficking in human especially kids. Disney would be a prime spot to try this with all the kids there. Checking a room doesn’t necessarily mean they are looking for weapons or terrorists but something more sinister. And yes most hotels are now on the lookout for this and it has been uncovered.

So it isn’t pointless or big brother at all.
The hotel I work at (Tucson, Arizona) has you watch a video about human trafficking once a year: how to spot it, who to notify, etc. It got massively revamped this past year; I suspect due to the whole Jeffrey Epstein case.

Commander Buzzy

Doing the random security checks at random times is intentional. They will always knock and announce themselves. However, you can always stop by the front desk and see if they can do the checks during certain time as they can make a note for housekeeping to only service the room at certain times.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
There are ways to step around this if you're the would-be terrorist, mass-shooter, whatever.

Keep your weapons hidden in your vehicle in a large enough suitcase for transport. Let the hotel security do their room check theatricals for the day. Then when you're ready to do the deed, go to your car, take your "suitcase" to your room, and you're ready.

Of course, lugging the weaponry to and from your room is really unnecessary with all the other opportune locations at your disposal. Example, if you're staying at Poly, why take weapons to your room when you can easily walk your suitcase up to the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House for a prime location with a usually high population flow?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I would ever encourage this, nor would ever hope this to happen. Just pointing out how these room checks do practically nothing but provide showmanship.
And your facts proving your last sentence are where ?

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Just look at the news over the past few months. The crazies out there always seem to find a way. Not saying Disney is doing a poor job taking precautions. But if a sicko with a gun is desperate enough, the daily room checks won't do anything. Unfortunately it's the world we live in today. I wish I could say otherwise.
I get what your saying but it's only an opinion. There is no hard proof this does or doesn't work .

HMFan999

It is meant to be a deterrent. The problem with deterrents and "security theater" as it's called is that you can't measure its success. If it works, then nobody ever finds out because it stopped something from happening. Thinking that lack of finding things makes these measures worthless is flawed logic. We'll never know if someone decided not to do something because these measures are in place. Yes, there are ways around every security measure and nothing will stop a person who is determined enough, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't implement the basic security measures.

Think about it like this, to get into a house that has a door with a deadbolt you could pick the lock, ram the door, kick the door in, shoot out the lock, melt the lock, break a window, drive a tank through a wall, and I'm sure a million other likely or unlikely scenarios... I'm still going to lock my door tonight.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
It is meant to be a deterrent. The problem with deterrents and "security theater" as it's called is that you can't measure its success. If it works, then nobody ever finds out because it stopped something from happening. Thinking that lack of finding things makes these measures worthless is flawed logic. We'll never know if someone decided not to do something because these measures are in place. Yes, there are ways around every security measure and nothing will stop a person who is determined enough, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't implement the basic security measures.

Think about it like this, to get into a house that has a door with a deadbolt you could pick the lock, ram the door, kick the door in, shoot out the lock, melt the lock, break a window, drive a tank through a wall, and I'm sure a million other likely or unlikely scenarios... I'm still going to lock my door tonight.
I'm off to buy a tank now ...

correcaminos

For those staying in villas, especially the two story, three bedroom Grand Villas at OKW... do they check each bedroom as well? It seems like a lot of work, but at the same time the 'check' seems pointless if they're not looking in each bedroom.

Perhaps they're just making sure the 'feel' of each room/villa/home is normal, vs. piles of mattresses in flames or chickens running around wild?
No, only the kitchen sometimes. I have seen bathroom trash removed but not consistently.

reptar77

They did on our stay at BLT grand villa.

Lilofan

I've seen this in Las Vegas where I think it would be beneficial to make sure people aren't dead or overdosed but at Disney?
Disney has always been in the radar for the bad guys to do something so better safe than sorry. Not hotel related, the crazy guy and the Orlando Pulse nightclub incident, he was seen on video tape walking around Disney Springs scoping the area out shortly before the nightclub incident.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
If it needs to be this way, so be it. Darn skippy I'll request my towel, coffee and REAL sugar needs in exchange. Win/win 😇

Tom P.

"Security Theater" worked at Disney Springs...
No, *security* worked at Disney Springs. There is real security at Disney Springs and it has helped deter criminals. No one is suggesting that all security is security theater or that no security measures should be taken. But this room check policy, as it is presently implemented, is definitely security theater. Motivated primarily, I suspect, by a desire to avoid lawsuits than a real belief in its benefit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom