Room request strategy for Old Key West

mp2bill

Original Poster
We’re (me, wife, 2 daughters) staying at OKW in August, and through Touring Plans’ room request tool, I am requesting a 3rd floor room near Hospitality House.

Does anybody have any input as to the pros and cons of this request? I’m not too concerned about noise levels or views or anything like that, but I did want something close to the last stop for the buses before they head to the parks, and I also want to be kind of close to the main pool, and I figured that fewer people would want a 3rd floor room than one of the lower rooms.

What do you all think of this strategy?

ETA: I forgot to mention that we’re booked through DVC via an RCI exchange. Also, when I said, “near Hospitality House,” I didn’t mean the category; just that I didn’t want to be super far from it, like down by Buena Vista Drive or past the pool on Bonnet Creek Drive. I’ve actually requested building 62, but it looks like I may need to not go through Touring Plans and should do it myself?

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
We’re (me, wife, 2 daughters) staying at OKW in August, and through Touring Plans’ room request tool, I am requesting a 3rd floor room near Hospitality House.

Does anybody have any input as to the pros and cons of this request? I’m not too concerned about noise levels or views or anything like that, but I did want something close to the last stop for the buses before they head to the parks, and I also want to be kind of close to the main pool, and I figured that fewer people would want a 3rd floor room than one of the lower rooms.

Did you book the Near Hospitality House category (HH on the website). There is no point requesting that if you didn’t.

Cash reservations almost certainly won’t be in the HH category, they are usually for DVC bookings only.

correcaminos

First I'm now done trying to use TP for room requests with my DVC stays. Zero have been recorded since they reopened. My last two stays have proved it to me. So to me that's not where one should request anyway.

HH is a separate booking category and last I knew wasn't available outside of DVC. So if DVC you had to book it. You could request Miller's Road or Peninsular instead if you did not. Buildings 62-64 and 15 and 16 are pretty close. So are 27-29.

mp2bill

Original Poster
Did you book the Near Hospitality House category (HH on the website). There is no point requesting that if you didn’t.

Cash reservations almost certainly won’t be in the HH category, they are usually for DVC bookings only.
Sorry, I should’ve included that fact. We are DVC through an RCI exchange.

mp2bill

Original Poster
First I'm now done trying to use TP for room requests with my DVC stays. Zero have been recorded since they reopened. My last two stays have proved it to me. So to me that's not where one should request anyway.

HH is a separate booking category and last I knew wasn't available outside of DVC. So if DVC you had to book it. You could request Miller's Road or Peninsular instead if you did not. Buildings 62-64 and 15 and 16 are pretty close. So are 27-29.
So yeah…I’m finding out now that I should’ve included the fact that we’re staying DVC via an RCI exchange.

Whatever the case, can you see any issues staying on the 3rd floor?

PS - I did actually request building 62. When I said “near Hospitality House,” I didn’t mean the category. Just physically close to it and not, say, down by Buena Vista Drive or past the pool on Bonnet Creek Parkway.

SteveAZee

Did you want 3rd floor or top floor? If the former, I assume it's for the best view, and for the latter, I assume it's to avoid people tromping around overhead. Not all building sections have a third floor. Last time I booked I asked for the top floor to avoid the foot and furniture noise of the people above.

Being on the third floor means a lot of stair climbing, so lots of ups and downs with groceries, strollers, trips to and from the pool... all that in addition to coming home from the parks tired.

Club Cooloholic

I don't mean to rain on the request parade but I didn't get close to any of my requests on my split stay 2 weeks ago. I did not do online check in so that I could get a different room easier if I didn't like what was assigned. Both at the Poly and Saratoga none of my requests were met or even close. Both times they were able to help, more so at Poly. Saratoga had me at the Carousel, but got something in Paddock. Anyway, I don't know how much requests are getting looked at

mp2bill

Original Poster
Did you want 3rd floor or top floor? If the former, I assume it's for the best view, and for the latter, I assume it's to avoid people tromping around overhead. Not all building sections have a third floor. Last time I booked I asked for the top floor to avoid the foot and furniture noise of the people above.

Being on the third floor means a lot of stair climbing, so lots of ups and downs with groceries, strollers, trips to and from the pool... all that in addition to coming home from the parks tired.
Yes, I suppose top floor. Specifically, I was looking at building 62, which has a 3rd floor.

mp2bill

Original Poster
I don't mean to rain on the request parade but I didn't get close to any of my requests on my split stay 2 weeks ago. I did not do online check in so that I could get a different room easier if I didn't like what was assigned. Both at the Poly and Saratoga none of my requests were met or even close. Both times they were able to help, more so at Poly. Saratoga had me at the Carousel, but got something in Paddock. Anyway, I don't know how much requests are getting looked at
So you're saying that you didn't do online check in, and that allowed you to check in like you usually would and request a room in person?

You're the second person who's alluded to the fact that room requests aren't being looked at anymore.

Club Cooloholic

So you're saying that you didn't do online check in, and that allowed you to check in like you usually would and request a room in person?

You're the second person who's alluded to the fact that room requests aren't being looked at anymore.
Well, I have heard with DVC if you do online check in and then don't like the room assigned they will charge you a fee to change rooms. I had made my room requests about 6 weeks out with DVC member services. Both times I didn't check in till later in the day, weather this meant there was more or less rooms to choose from I don't know. I know at Poly one room that looked good literally disappeared from the inventory as the cast member at the desk was helping me. While I didn't get the food I wanted I did get the building at Poly so I was happy. At SSR getting the right building is even more important due to the size similar to OKW. There I got close to where I was, a bit of walk to pools but not as bad as Carousel

bpiper

First of all, to make a room request, you need to contact member services and have the agent note it in the reservation.

Second, the various DVC hotels are hit or miss on whether the planner looks at it.

We stayed at Kidani last October, SSR in December and Kidani just now in May. Each time we called up Member Service several weeks before the trip and had them note the request in the reservation. Each time they accommodated the request. We did the online check-in also. From what I can gather, its just a labor savings method to short staff the front desk. Your room will be assigned by the planner the day before you arrive. When housekeeping clears your room and you have indicated that your there, you get a notification that its ready along with your room number.

One caveat, don't get there late in the day. Even though your room was preassigned, if you haven't been notified of the room number yet, its open for poaching. Poaching happens when a guest doesn't like their room they got earlier in the day, goes to the front desk and requests a different room. When the agent sees that a room that meets their requirements hasn't been given to the assigned guest yet due to a late arrival, they will go in back and confirm that the guest hasn't been given the room number and will switch the rooms. So the earlier guest gets their room and the late arrival gets the rejected room. This use to happen all the time when we did late arrivals at OKW when we were younger (10-11pm). We would fly down after work.. Now a days we fly down in the morning. Problem solved.

You do realize that each building's last 2 rooms (studio and 1 BR) at each end are only 2 stories? So 4 room are only 2 stories. It's only the middle section that is 3 stories and the amount of rooms that this contains will vary depending upon the size and shape of the building. Also the Grand Villa's are located on the 2 and 3 floors, so that will decrease the amount available.

We always get one of those 4 rooms on the 2nd floor. No one above us and only 1 flight up the stairs.... You will appreciate that when you come home exhausted from walking around the parks all day. Never mind carrying the luggage and groceries up.

mp2bill

Original Poster
We always get one of those 4 rooms on the 2nd floor. No one above us and only 1 flight up the stairs.... You will appreciate that when you come home exhausted from walking around the parks all day. Never mind carrying the luggage and groceries up.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

correcaminos

Well, I have heard with DVC if you do online check in and then don't like the room assigned they will charge you a fee to change rooms. I had made my room requests about 6 weeks out with DVC member services. Both times I didn't check in till later in the day, weather this meant there was more or less rooms to choose from I don't know. I know at Poly one room that looked good literally disappeared from the inventory as the cast member at the desk was helping me. While I didn't get the food I wanted I did get the building at Poly so I was happy. At SSR getting the right building is even more important due to the size similar to OKW. There I got close to where I was, a bit of walk to pools but not as bad as Carousel
That's not totally true about a fee. Like all things depends on why you switch. If you see your room number before hand you can usually swap at check in online or not. More of an FYI. So I do online check in and then if room isn't ready I check in in person and double check requests - this is how I knew TP wasn't getting them.
So yeah…I’m finding out now that I should’ve included the fact that we’re staying DVC via an RCI exchange.

Whatever the case, can you see any issues staying on the 3rd floor?

PS - I did actually request building 62. When I said “near Hospitality House,” I didn’t mean the category. Just physically close to it and not, say, down by Buena Vista Drive or past the pool on Bonnet Creek Parkway.
FYI buildings 62-64 do have elevators so it can be hit or miss with requests as it is a popular set of buildings.

Club Cooloholic

That's not totally true about a fee. Like all things depends on why you switch. If you see your room number before hand you can usually swap at check in online or not. More of an FYI. So I do online check in and then if room isn't ready I check in in person and double check requests - this is how I knew TP wasn't getting them.
FYI buildings 62-64 do have elevators so it can be hit or miss with requests as it is a popular set of buildings.
See, I heard somewhere, maybe here that if you do try to check in on line, once they give you access to the room, the fee comes in. I guess I wouldn't want to risk it if the room became ready sooner and it wasn't what I wanted. The again, maybe they don't always charge the fee if you don't ever enter the room. I have done online, but that was when I didn't care where the location was, just that I would take the earliest room available.

Raxel7851

Although we don’t stay at a DVC, we never had much luck with room/building requests when making a reservation. That’s one reason we never do online check-in. We try to arrive before noon to check in and if we don’t like the room we were assigned, most front desk CMs will help you find one that you like more. By getting there earlier, there will be more rooms available. If you get there around check in time, the pickings can be slim.

nickys

Premium Member
See, I heard somewhere, maybe here that if you do try to check in on line, once they give you access to the room, the fee comes in. I guess I wouldn't want to risk it if the room became ready sooner and it wasn't what I wanted. The again, maybe they don't always charge the fee if you don't ever enter the room. I have done online, but that was when I didn't care where the location was, just that I would take the earliest room available.
If you enter a DVC room and then decide you don’t like the view or whatever and ask for a change, then they might charge you a cleaning fee. If there’s a legitimate reason why you need to change they won’t, obviously.

But if you do online check-in, look at the resort map and go to the check-in desk - there won’t be a charge if they can move you.

WDW_Emily

I requested a room through touring plans at dak lodge in 2021 and get exactly what we wanted! We arrived in the middle of the day.

We are currently at Saratoga Springs and requested Paddock through touring plans and got grandstand (which honestly we are loving this location!) we arrived very late this trip at around 1am. So going off what someone else said time of arrival might have something to do with it.

Djsfantasi

The only time I did a room request was at AoA. The trip was booked by my Disney Authorized Agent.

Not only did she get my request, when we checked in, the manager came over and gave us an upgrade!

Out of the blue… they gave us a suite. It was myself and my girlfriend. My DAP is truly magical.

sinead

ETA: I forgot to mention that we’re booked through DVC via an RCI exchange. Also, when I said, “near Hospitality House,” I didn’t mean the category; just that I didn’t want to be super far from it, like down by Buena Vista Drive or past the pool on Bonnet Creek Drive. I’ve actually requested building 62, but it looks like I may need to not go through Touring Plans and should do it myself?
If you've been to WDW in August before this, you understand the impact of the intense sun, heat & humidity on your plans.
If you haven't, I can't think of a good reason to request 3rd fl unless it's a special view or QUIET your're after.
Have stayed OKW MANY TIMES. (Since they swapped out carpet for hard floors, we find it is noisier if NOT on TOP floor)
But TOP FL could be 2nd FL depending on room location (Only ONE flite of stairs)

You really can't predict how far your room will be from bus or pool. (HH location or rooms in one of the few elevator bldgs are reserved &/or saved for those needing accessibility first.) Add that to time in parks + waiting for bus or getting to car.

Sorry. 3rd fl in Aug would not be my choice, especially with young kids or anyone with health issues.

Ayla

I got my room requests met at OKW in May. First floor near a bus stop. We were assigned to first floor of Building 48.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom