Romantic and/or 1st timer to-do list

k.hunter30

This will be my husband's first visit to WDW. I LOVE the place, obviously, and feel like I almost know it like the back of my hand. However, I've never taken an adult who has never been to the World.

What is a list of things I should plan to do with DH (age 24) that would make a fun and memorable trip for a first-timer? Also, what romantic things should we plan other than main meals? (We've already made reservations at quite a few places - i.e. CRT, Le Cellier, Chef's de France, etc.)

I'd like to make the trip special for the both of us - a different WDW experience than I've had before for me, and a totally fabulous first one for DH!

daverube

I'd suggest trying to get ressies at the California Grill. It's not the most romantic place, but the food is absolutely fantastic....

About an hour before your ressie, take the monorail to the Grand Floridian and head to Mizner's Lounge for a nice glass of wine....if you're lucky, they'll have a band playing outside of the bar (and facing across the interior of the hotel)....the bar is nice and cozy...and the music will be just loud enough to enjoy....

I see you booked Le Cellier...that's a VERY good choice.....unfortunately, Chef's de France was not as fun last time we were there (Nov. 2006)....the menu changed from the previous year and was not as good.....but the restaurant interior is still the same....

Also....you MUST get a Dole Whip Float and eat it in Adventureland near the Swiss Family Treehouse....not too romantic, but always a trip highlight.....

Have a fun trip!!

dave

Upvote 0

Unplugged

About an hour before your ressie, take the monorail to the Grand Floridian and head to Mizner's Lounge for a nice glass of wine....

Chef's de France was not as fun last time we were there (Nov. 2006)....the menu changed from the previous year and was not as good.....but the restaurant interior is still the same....

I'll add two notes to dave's comments:
1) Add more than 1 hour to the side trip at Mizner's. My last visit to California Grill was (as always) absolutely fabulous, but it was very busy. Check-in is done on a lower level then the grill itself, so time to wander either of the resorts (Grand Floridian & Contemporary can take some time).

2) I agree on the Chef's de France comment. We also had a lot of rude guests the day we were there. If you want a romantic "dinner in France", my wife and I did this last year: Make a reservation at Bistro de Paris, which is upstairs from Chef's. It's quieter, nicer, far more romantic, and the food is (was) outstanding. Also, if you plan it later in the evening (7P or so), you can stay and watch the fireworks from within the Bistro giving you a view over all the heads of guests and a glass of dessert wine if planned well. Note that the Bistro does cost more, but is a very romantic dining experience. :wave:

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

Original Poster
I'll add two notes to dave's comments:
1) Add more than 1 hour to the side trip at Mizner's. My last visit to California Grill was (as always) absolutely fabulous, but it was very busy. Check-in is done on a lower level then the grill itself, so time to wander either of the resorts (Grand Floridian & Contemporary can take some time).

2) I agree on the Chef's de France comment. We also had a lot of rude guests the day we were there. If you want a romantic "dinner in France", my wife and I did this last year: Make a reservation at Bistro de Paris, which is upstairs from Chef's. It's quieter, nicer, far more romantic, and the food is (was) outstanding. Also, if you plan it later in the evening (7P or so), you can stay and watch the fireworks from within the Bistro giving you a view over all the heads of guests and a glass of dessert wine if planned well. Note that the Bistro does cost more, but is a very romantic dining experience. :wave:

Thanks for the advice! Actually, DH and I had initially planned on eating at Bistro, but decided to save the money and do Chef's. I know I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm not thinking this meal with be the highlight or anything (I know Boma and hoping Le Cellier will be!) I'll report back after the trip.

Any more non-dining recommendations for an adult first-timer or romantic trip?

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Depending on how much you are looking to spend... you could charter a boat from one of the resorts to go out onto the Seven Seas Lagoon for the Wishes fireworks. I believe that you still hear the sync'd soundtrack on the boat and their may be options for dinner or dessert.

The big plus is its very intimate. There may be a few other couples... but at least you won't be in the middle of the street with throngs of other guests... screaming kids, etc...

Other, slightly less expensive options are to watch it from the Polynesian beach front. Then hang around for the floating water parade that occurs 15-30 minutes after Wishes. (bring bug repellant)

depending on your tastes... do Fantasia gardens mini-golf together... make it into a game where you bet on future favors for each other.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Other things, (some that require cash outlays), are..

• rent a small boat on Bay Lake for the two of you
  • Do the Romantic Couple's Massage at the Grand Floridian or Saratoga Springs spa facilities
  • Upgrade your room to one with a great view
  • Tour all the resorts together... especially the deluxe resorts.
  • Relax and don't take a frantic pace to see everything at the parks.
  • Resort hot-tub in the evenings... if it has one.
  • Night out dancing, reliving the 80's at 8-traxx, Comedy acts, adult beverages, etc at PI - (again... only if it suits both of your tastes)
  • Boardwalk strolls at night
  • walking along the beach fronts
Also try to do things that you normally do and maybe put a twist that could personalize it. I don't know what either of your likes/dislikes are but these are just some suggestions.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

I think by your signature your staying at POFQ. I would take up the advise of the hot tub one evening and also a carriage ride.

Also the earlier idea of stroll on the beach and on the grounds of Poly and maybe a drink before hand in the Tambu(spelling?) Lounge.

Calf.Grill is also a must. And I have done a speciality cruise on the Grand 1 Yacht with dinner etc. It was awesome but a little $$$ pricey.

Also if you want to do something unique check out this website for some ideas www.giftsofalifetime.com I have used them several times and it has always been great.

Upvote 0

iheartdisney91

for some romantic value perhaps an italian restaurant? in epcot, then go and watch illuminations/wishes/spectro magic. either one is pretty good. then like said walk around the boardwalk at sun set this will be after you eat at italy or some where lol

Upvote 0

Unplugged

• Boardwalk strolls at night
  • walking along the beach fronts
I can't believe I forgot these...good catch! My DW and I have done the walk around the boardwalk lagoon, almost every year. Last year we had our DS in the stroller on his first visit with us. We (and he) walk the beach at Beach Club and in general walk the enitre resort loop (Boardwalk, YC & BC) twice. Late evening the views are great and it can be very quiet depending on the time. There are also lots of nice places to pull off the path and just take in the scenery.

Enjoy!!

Upvote 0

Juliaz3

Relax and have fun!

I took my boyfriend to DW for the first time in January. He is from Brazil and although he was familiar with the TV show and loves the animated films (up through the '70s and most of the Pixar films), he really didn't know what "Disney World" was. I decided not to tell him a lot about what to expect or what we would do. I spent some time planning basic daily iteneraries, learning about the FastPass system and particular "can't miss" rides and attractions, and then decided we'd just "go with the flow".

We had an amazing time! He's a big kid at heart, and he got so excited when he first saw Cinderella's Castle. It was a pleasure to me just to see how much he was enjoying it all. He let me lead the way and explain where we'd go and when. I made sure to be flexible and not force a schedule on us. For example, I never thought that he would want his photos taken with every single character we saw! But I slowed down to let him have his fun and now we have great photos to jog our memories. A lot of neat things happened because we were just in the right place at the right time -- not rushing about.

So -- take it easy, don't overschedule, go with the flow, and be sure to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority at sunset -- it's romantic to see the lights of the MK coming on and a pretty sunset sky-- or ride it when you need to get off your feet for 20 mins. It's a neat introduction to Space Mountain, too!

A great secluded/romantic spot in the MK is the path that leads from the train station near Tomorrowland toward Space Mountain. It's got lots of benches where you can just chill for a while out of the crowds and be happy together.

Upvote 0

rob45

Try the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness it about $30 for a 1-2 hour trip around the campground (mostly through the woods). Bring some bubbly and drink up. :fork:

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I alwyas enjoyed dinner at San Angel in Mexico. It was simply a great atmosphere, and one of the most romantic dining destinations in the World. Try a walk around the showcase afterward and do some window shopping. The showcase is beautiful at night, and there is plenty to see and sample.

Upvote 0

mpoppins76

These are all GREAT suggestions! We're going around the same time as Kat and it's my DBF's first time too...he's 31 (sad, huh? :rolleyes: ). Having worked down there and going a bazillion times since, I have so many "must do's", these will help w/ some new ideas for myself too. :)

Upvote 0

happyphaze

Try the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness it about $30 for a 1-2 hour trip around the campground (mostly through the woods). Bring some bubbly and drink up. :fork:

oooooh...that sounds romantic. I didn't even know they did that there!! Even though this was meant for someone else...thanks for the tip! :wave:

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: I second the romantic carriage ride but take it at POR. its closer to where you are staying than Fort Wilderness. get him a first time pin at guest relations at the first park you go to. he will get lots of attention. have a magical trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Not sure how long you are staying, but I hope you have enough time in the parks to really enjoy the attractions. I've been with first timers and I've never guessed right about what they like. I thought my brother in law would love LMA at MGM. Instead, A Bug's Life was his hands down favorite. I thought hubby would love RnRRC, instead, he loved Test Track. One thing great about going with first timers is that you can enjoy things that you might have overlooked before. I would say to be sure you get to take advantage of all the Disney classic attractions at each park. Don't rule something out just because it isn't your favorite. You never know what someone else will like.

It always seems like I'm the cheap one on the board, but my vote would be to take full advantage of all the "free" (well, prepaid) stuff on this trip and save the expensive add-ons for a future trip.

I also disagree with staying in the room :animwink: You're married! You can do that anytime! :dazzle:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom