Roller Coaster Ok for Her?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My now 9 year old, who is generally scared of everything new, went on every rollercoaster at Disney as soon as he was tall enough to ride 'em, and he loves them all. My 3 year old was just tall enough for Gadget's Go-Coaster in March in Anaheim (their analog of Goofini) and he couldn't wait to get on it again. Start small and see what she likes.

One additional thing I'll say is that Space Mountain was more frightening for my older boy because of the darkness and effects. BTMR, Everest, Primeivl Whirl, and even RnRC (no build-up to effects in line, I guess) were way less frightening for him than Space Mountain.

ExtinctJenn

While personality plays into some of this, you also need to be careful not to hype up the thrill rides with fear. I had to be really careful with my older one since she can be pretty timid. I didn't do any "are you sure" or anything like that...I just psyched her up. Granted, she was 40" on the dot on our trip last summer and isn't too far over 41" now- so we're not talking Space Mountain or Everest, but her first "big kid" WDW ride was BTMR and she LOVED it. BTMR is definitely more mild than Space Mountain- so maybe see how she does on that before going over to Space.
I'd agree with this for sure! You have to be careful not to scare them out of it for life. In other words, don't tell them the ride is scary or if you're too small you may fall out or anything like that because even once they are big enough, they'll be too afraid to do it. :)

SAV

On our last trip this past June, my son who is 7 went on every coaster in all 4 parks and loved them all. He is a bit of a daredevil and will go on any coaster(he is tall enough for) at our local Six Flags, so he may not be the best measuring stick for a more timid child. He also loved Dinosaur!

But I agree with the others who say to start small and work your way up. I did make sure to explain everything that was going to happen in the ride before going on it so he knew to trust me when I said it wasn't a big deal. Ex(It is going to be dark in Space Mountain, but there aren't any big drops. RNRC is going to shoot you out super fast, right into a loop, and it is going to be dark inside there. )

Dad 2 M & M

Depends on the child. Mine weren't bothered by SM, but had ridden several rollercoasters at other parks first. Try the Primeval Whirl at AK.

awoogala

I have a seven-year old sister who is 48 inches tall. She's pretty mild, though. Any coasters you recommend? Also, she said she would ride Space Mountain, which I was surprised because she doesn't really like thrills. Is Space Mountain OK for her?
If she doesn't do roller coasters in general, I'd say no. Mine insisted on trying it last time and spent the whole time screaming and sobbing. Not a coaster kid. (age 6)
My son was fine on it at 7. But he is a wild coaster kid.
It isn't what I would call a big coaster, but it's pitch black with the upgrades, and you ride alone, with a backrest, then the next person (not side by side) and that raises the fear factor.

CaptainShortty

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but you can also try Primeval Whirl if you're headed to AK. That's a very mild coaster which will help her judge what she can do. I'm a HUGE chicken of rides and rode that one with no problem (mind you this was this past week after many, many, many days spent in Disney at 22 years old.) Told ya I was chicken. =P

Todd L

My little guy is 7 now and was 4 when he tried His first Rollercoaster Goofys Barnstormer.

He was a Little scared But managed to smile a few times.

TDF

I was 17 the first time I rode Space Mountain and I almost threw up waiting in line because I was so nervous. Of course being a teen after the ride I came off saying that was nothing but when you saw the picture of me you can tell otherwise. In all seriousness though I love Space Mountain. I also just started Test Track because I was scared to death of the fast part not realizing I drive faster then it…
- Justin

afar28

DS6 hit 48 inches 2 trips ago. He is also "mild" but ended up doing Everest in March and Space Mountain in September. He came off them both saying he had fun but was ok if he never did them again. Now, nearly a year since that trip and he's recently started saying he'd like to ride SM again.

Another great coaster for that height and age would be Big Thunder however DS6 still refuses to do it (and we're pretty sure it's just because of the word "thunder" in the title).

One word of caution... the reason he didn't do SM in March when he was tall enough was because, though he was checked and let through the first two height check-points, the CM at the last check-point refused let him on because he was getting antsy (after an hour wait) and wouldn't stand straight to be measured a 3rd time. Us holding him in place wasn't allowed and the fact that we had gotten through the previous two wasn't enough. I mention this because if she's in that "questionable" range, you may run into something similar.
You waited an hour and then they wouldn't el him ride?? Jeez that's messed up...

popcenturylover

I have a seven-year old sister who is 48 inches tall. She's pretty mild, though. Any coasters you recommend? Also, she said she would ride Space Mountain, which I was surprised because she doesn't really like thrills. Is Space Mountain OK for her?
We just returned from WDW a little over a week ago & my DD who will be 4 next week rode the Barnstormer twice, BTMRR, & Splash MNT!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom