Roller Coaster Ok for Her?

cba

Original Poster
I have a seven-year old sister who is 48 inches tall. She's pretty mild, though. Any coasters you recommend? Also, she said she would ride Space Mountain, which I was surprised because she doesn't really like thrills. Is Space Mountain OK for her?

ExtinctJenn

DS6 hit 48 inches 2 trips ago. He is also "mild" but ended up doing Everest in March and Space Mountain in September. He came off them both saying he had fun but was ok if he never did them again. Now, nearly a year since that trip and he's recently started saying he'd like to ride SM again.

Another great coaster for that height and age would be Big Thunder however DS6 still refuses to do it (and we're pretty sure it's just because of the word "thunder" in the title).

One word of caution... the reason he didn't do SM in March when he was tall enough was because, though he was checked and let through the first two height check-points, the CM at the last check-point refused let him on because he was getting antsy (after an hour wait) and wouldn't stand straight to be measured a 3rd time. Us holding him in place wasn't allowed and the fact that we had gotten through the previous two wasn't enough. I mention this because if she's in that "questionable" range, you may run into something similar.

cba

Original Poster
DS6 hit 48 inches 2 trips ago. He is also "mild" but ended up doing Everest in March and Space Mountain in September. He came off them both saying he had fun but was ok if he never did them again. Now, nearly a year since that trip and he's recently started saying he'd like to ride SM again.

Another great coaster for that height and age would be Big Thunder however DS6 still refuses to do it (and we're pretty sure it's just because
of the word "thunder" in the title).

One word of caution... the reason he didn't do
SM in March when he was tall enough was because, though he was checked and let through
the first two height check-points, the CM at the last check-point refused let him on because he
was getting antsy (after an hour wait) and
wouldn't stand straight to be measured a 3rd
time. Us holding him in place wasn't allowed and
the fact that we had gotten through the
previous two wasn't enough. I mention this
because if she's in that "questionable" range, you
may run into something similar.
Lol, thanks! When I was 5 I thought BTMR struck people with thunder, so I wouldn't go on.

ExtinctJenn

Lol, thanks! When I was 5 I thought BTMR struck people with thunder, so I wouldn't go on.
That's kind of what we're thinking is going on in his head too. We've decided that on this next trip (whenever it happens) we'll call it "Big Train Mountain" or something. :)

DisneyDebNJ

What about Barnstormer??? And kudos to ANYONE who rides Space Mountain because I'm, ummmm cheeeeeeekin to ride it. I did ride BTMR when I was 10 ... in Disneyland, and never went back. (What's that tell ya????) Coincidentally, when I DID ride BTMR back in *the day* it started to thunder and lightening in the distance, and the ride was shut down when I got off... so guess who thought it had to do with the ride??!?? Yep, you guessed it, a very timid 10 yr old from Jersey LOL

CaptainShortty

You're really the only one to know your child so you'd be the best judge of what she can handle and what she can't. I would recommend building her up to Space, first with Splash and then with BTMRR. If she can handle both of those with no problem, she'll probably be ok to give Space a try.

cba

Original Poster
You're really the only one to know your child so you'd be the best judge of what she can handle and what she can't. I would recommend building her up to Space, first with Splash and then with BTMRR. If she can handle both of those with no problem, she'll probably be ok to
give Space a try.
I didn't think of that, thanks I'll probably put that to play :)

MITCH 112198

For my kids, if they are tall enough to ride they have to at least try it once. If they didn't like it they don't have to go on again, but they can say they have rode it.

cba

Original Poster
Yesterday I went to Hersheypark (it's a really good park, not as good as WDW, though) and my sister went on her first coaster ever, the wild mouse. If you've been on that ride, does it help?

cba

Original Poster
What about Barnstormer??? And kudos to ANYONE who rides Space Mountain because I'm, ummmm cheeeeeeekin to ride it. I did ride BTMR when I was 10 ... in Disneyland, and never went back. (What's that tell ya????) Coincidentally, when I DID ride BTMR back in *the day* it started to thunder and lightening in the distance, and the ride was shut down when I
got off... so guess who thought it had to do
with the ride??!?? Yep, you guessed it, a very
timid 10 yr old from Jersey LOL
I showed my sister a barnstormer/great goofini video and said she'd go on. :) Thx

ExtinctJenn

For my kids, if they are tall enough to ride they have to at least try it once. If they didn't like it they don't have to go on again, but they can say they have rode it.
We have the exact same rule. Ironically I edited it out of my post above. LOL!

I showed my sister a barnstormer/great goofini video and said she'd go on. :) Thx
Y'know... I didn't mention Barnstormer because you don't have to be 48" to ride it (and I incorrectly assumed that was done already as a result). Woops!!

lovetheears

If you do decided to go on it I'd sugest having her ride in the middle the 1st time so she feels more secure. ie we did not do that with our sons 1st time and he did said he was worried the whole ride since he rode in the first spot We had assumed that he would love the 1st spot after loving all the other coasters, whoops.

EvilQueen-T

every kid is different and some are just going to be more bold than others. i like to get them excited on something more mild and build them up...like start on barnstormer then splash, test track, or thunder then space or tower of terror, then finally rockin roller coaster and everest. my kids (now adults) and now granddaughter (age 8) progressed great and are all big time coaster junkies. my 5 y/o niece had her 1st disney trip this summer and was afraid of everything from pirates to dumbo but we were able to work her into riding everything she was tall enough to ride. i think the biggest thing is to help pump up their confidence and not try to spook or scare them.

mickeysbrother

I rode sm when i was 3... Back in the day i sat on my moms lap with a seatbelt thingy. My daughter rode it also. She just turned 6. She cried when she got off cause she said it was too dark but liked the rollercoaster itself. She did big thunder with a huge smile on her face. She enjoys thrills in the most part and always tells me to drive faster in the car. So its really up to the child i guess.

jonnyc

Try bribery if they are scared. On our first trip I was age 9 and petrified of thrill rides, then my Dad offered me $10 to go on Tower of Terror. I loved it and by the end of the holiday I was suggesting that the family go on the front row of The Hulk!

coachwnh

our kids loved big thunder, everest, and space since they were tall enough to ride!!! now that they are taller, the love RRC in HS as well! it all depends on the kids. Ive seen kids cry after dinosaur (mine included) when they are younger, so i guess it is all dependent on the comfort of your kids. if they dont want to do it, i wouldnt make them. if hey want to, then have fun!!!

HouCuseChickie

While personality plays into some of this, you also need to be careful not to hype up the thrill rides with fear. I had to be really careful with my older one since she can be pretty timid. I didn't do any "are you sure" or anything like that...I just psyched her up. Granted, she was 40" on the dot on our trip last summer and isn't too far over 41" now- so we're not talking Space Mountain or Everest, but her first "big kid" WDW ride was BTMR and she LOVED it. BTMR is definitely more mild than Space Mountain- so maybe see how she does on that before going over to Space.

swissamy

I would start at the smallest at Magic Kingdom , the Goofy Barnstormer - which now has some name related to the great Goofini and then if she likes it, move up the Thunder Mountain and if that is a go, move up to Space Mountain - Kids talk big about what they will do but there is nothing like waiting an hour in line only to hear "I don't want to" when you hit the boarding area. Start small ...If it goes well, you have lost nothing, if you move too fast and it goes badly, the child can become unnecessarily afraid of roller coasters and more (any dark rides) for the next few trips...spoken from experience...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom