Rock 'N' Roller coaster help

rentNdisney

Original Poster
Today in school, for a final project, my teacher assigned us a project called "I like math?" We're supposed to find math in our hobbies or interests and teach the class about it. So, I'm planning on presenting about the mathematics of the Rock 'n' roller coaster. I have killer photos of the track, and magnets that run the ride from when I got walked off when it broke down in March. The only problem is, it's really hard to find information about how the ride works. I know someone has to have information, about speed, or angles of the inversions, anything mathlike!! haha...so calling all roller coaster connoisseurs!!!

o and ps, if i do get a nice person to help, maybe i can finally post the pictures i have from inside the coaster, with the lights on!! if thats not an incentive to help me, then i dont know what it....lol

I am deff. *NOT* good at math. But I do know it goes from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds (Well, the guides at MGM said it was 0-60, but other articles say 0-57) Anyways, you should post the pics on here! :p ...And I hope you find someone helpful!

http://ultimaterollercoaster.com/co...disneymgm.shtml

Ride Stats

Height: 80 feet
Top speed: 57 mph

Max. G-Force: 5 G's
Inversions: 3

Launch: LSM
Length: 3,403 feet

Ride time: 3 minutes, 12 seconds
Trains: 5 - 24 passenger (4 operating)

I don't think the top speed is right, or the ride time. Seems A LOT faster (I know it has to be faster than Test Track, and test track goes 60 something, right?....) And before when one of my friends timed the ride said it was about a minute..

dave2822

Pixiedust1393 said:
I don't think the top speed is right, or the ride time. Seems A LOT faster (I know it has to be faster than Test Track, and test track goes 60 something, right?....) And before when one of my friends timed the ride said it was about a minute..

Nope that is correct, Test Track is the fastest attraction at WDW, at 65 mph.

Initial launch & darkness (RnRC) vs. theming & build up speed (TT) is why many can swear RnRC is faster.

rentNdisney

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I knew some of it, but my problem is that i have to make a 5 minute presentation. I was kind of looking to see if there were any smarty pants out there who really knew their stuff, like the types of inversions, how fast you have to be going for them to work, angles of elevation and such....but thanks all, and i'm going to get crackin' on posting my pics!!

luckyeye13

Attraction/Ride Statistics:
Ride Cycle Time:3 minutes and 12 seconds
Actual ride time for the roller coaster is 1 minute and 22 seconds
Inversions:3
First coaster at both the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort and at DISNEYLAND® Park with multiple inversions (takes guest upside down), including two roll-over loops and one corkscrew.
Limotrain (ride vehicle) capacity:24 guests
Maximum speed:0-57 mph in 2.8 seconds
Maximum ride height:Approximately 85 feet (8 stories at point of inversion)
Total number of speakers in attraction:More than 900
Number of speakers per limo:120-125
Watts of audio amplifier output power:More than 32,000
24 Sub-woofer onboard audio system
Launch:Catapults you approx. 200 feet
G-Force: Between 4 and 5 entering the first inversion.
Track Length:3,403 feet of linear track
more than 1/2 mile of twists, turns, loops, corkscrews, hills, and dips
Total Building Square Footage:68,131

Ride Vehicles:Each passenger train resembles a 1962-era Cadillac super-long "stretch limousine" with fins, and features approximately 120 onboard speakers.
Each "Limotrain" can hold up to 24 passengers, about twice the number of passengers that can fit into the average "stretch limousine."
Each passenger seat has 5 built-in speakers "blasting" Aerosmith music.
4 behind the ears - 2 high-frequency tweeters and 2 mid-range speakers
1 subwoofer mounted under the seat

Make the ride over

Well if it isnt due for a while. . .( i'm having a brain fart!)

Well it does have 1 flip, and 2 corkscrews, the flip goes 80 feet up dont know how tall the corkscrews are. If you had time left over, here is my great idea! If you have Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 go to sandbox mode and make a version of RnRc, like with the flips and all, then as you go you can tell the class about the flips and how fast it goes and that kind of stuff. If your teacher isnt old fashion he/she should like it. Have fun, get creative, and good luck.
It's pretty easy to make if you know how to use RCT3- i'm making a Fantasmic The Ride with music and everything as we speak but it's not going well b/c the music is getting old b/c i can tell you every word.

MickeyMan101

Narthex

You may try rocknrollercoaster.com. They have a few good pictures as well a videos there. I have wanting to see the ride with its lights on. I have ridden it 50+ times and still have yet to have the opportunity to see it with the lights on. Anyone ever have the coaster miss its cue at the launch before. Its kinda strange when the coaster does not take-off after Steven Tyler's countdown.....then its does a few seconds later when you don't expect it...heh heh.

DisJosh

MickeyMan101 said:
Well if it isnt due for a while. . .( i'm having a brain fart!)

Well it does have 1 flip, and 2 corkscrews, the flip goes 80 feet up dont know how tall the corkscrews are. If you had time left over, here is my great idea! If you have Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 go to sandbox mode and make a version of RnRc, like with the flips and all, then as you go you can tell the class about the flips and how fast it goes and that kind of stuff. If your teacher isnt old fashion he/she should like it. Have fun, get creative, and good luck.
It's pretty easy to make if you know how to use RCT3- i'm making a Fantasmic The Ride with music and everything as we speak but it's not going well b/c the music is getting old b/c i can tell you every word.

MickeyMan101

There's actually only one corkscrew. The inital 2 inversions are part of what's called a cobra roll. Sit in the back if you really want to feel it. :D

Vekoma actually calls them boomerangs. B&M refers to them as cobra rolls. I think cobra roll just sounds cooler. ;)

FatBoy976

I don't know what level of school you are at (if this is a fifth grade final project or a 12th grade one) but I think I can point you in the right direction:

The launch system uses linear induction motors. Disney first used them on WEDway Peoplemover out in Disneyland. They are currently used to launch fighther jets off of the latest US aircraft carrier (USS Ronald Reagan?). You might be able to find stuff on linear induction motors in a college level physics book.

As for speeds needed going into a loop, you can offer up some general equations. Kinetic energy is maximum at the bottom of the loop (full speed) and should be lowest at the top of the loop, where potential energy is at a maximum. As long as you have enough kinetic energy going into the looop to make it the max height, you should be ok. If I remember correctly, KE=1/2mv^2 and PE=mgh. Of course if you come out of the loop at the same elevation you entered the loop, there will be some loss of kinetic energy due to friction.

Good luck!

MrNonacho

Premium Member
DisJosh said:
There's actually only one corkscrew. The inital 2 inversions are part of what's called a cobra roll. Sit in the back if you really want to feel it. :D

Vekoma actually calls them boomerangs. B&M refers to them as cobra rolls. I think cobra roll just sounds cooler. ;)

It's actually not a cobra roll. It's an immelman immediately followed by a dive loop, a combination which Vekoma calls a roll over (B&M calls it a sea serpent). The train exits the inversions travelling in the same direction as when it entered. Cobra rolls act as turnarounds, with the train heading back the opposite direction from which it entered.

rentNdisney

Original Poster
FatBoy976 said:
I don't know what level of school you are at (if this is a fifth grade final project or a 12th grade one) but I think I can point you in the right direction:

The launch system uses linear induction motors. Disney first used them on WEDway Peoplemover out in Disneyland. They are currently used to launch fighther jets off of the latest US aircraft carrier (USS Ronald Reagan?). You might be able to find stuff on linear induction motors in a college level physics book.

As for speeds needed going into a loop, you can offer up some general equations. Kinetic energy is maximum at the bottom of the loop (full speed) and should be lowest at the top of the loop, where potential energy is at a maximum. As long as you have enough kinetic energy going into the looop to make it the max height, you should be ok. If I remember correctly, KE=1/2mv^2 and PE=mgh. Of course if you come out of the loop at the same elevation you entered the loop, there will be some loss of kinetic energy due to friction.

Good luck!

thanks so much for the information!! I'm in 11th grade, but this is for my advanced math analysis class, so its more like freshman year college stuff....you're info was wonderful!!!!

coasterphil

I had a whole packet full of the equations used in designing roller coasters, for an engineering project I did a few weeks ago but I can't seem to find it. I'll look around for it some more, as that should be helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom