Riverside, the Good, Bad, and Ugly Needed

Daddymouse

I am sure this type of thread is repetitive, but DW and I just changed or room reservation from French Quarter to Riverside. What I really want to know is; what do you find good, bad, and ugly. Which rooms are the best? We would like to stay relatively close to the food court. We also do not want to be too far away from the main pool. The hot tubs seem to help us relax even more in the evening. Our reservation is for a standard room.

I_heart_Tigger

Oh, I wrote to Disney when we got back and they apologized and *gasp* told me that this does happen often as Disney was built on wetland like property.

Who else would love to see a copy of the letter that Disney wrote that says that roaches happen "often". This poster is getting all the excitement - bloody, greasy room, mousekeepers so he!! bent on revenge that they will throw garbage into their suitcase, the largest infestation of roaches in the world and now Disney admits a roach problem on paper! :eek::eek::eek:

Why can't all of these one-of-a-kind, never-before-happened, completely-unbelievable things happen on my trips to Disney? That would truly be a magical moment

Upvote 0

John

Aren't you two lovely and nice people, it's so nice to get a warm reception on a board I have been reading for years and finally decided to post again when someone asked about the bad things at POR. Thanks for being so kind. Way to encourage people to share their experiences, even if they aren't as fantastic as yours.

I did not lie, I also think it is a fantastic resort! Thanks for believing me! The Cast Member was a delightful guy too... he was just eccentric and liked talking about bugs in the POR area, he may have over exaggerated and said there were more rooms afflicted, that's not my place to judge his truthfulness.

So here is the issue with why there may be bugs in some of the POR rooms.

The rooms in the Alligator Bayou section are surrounded by lush swamp like areas (they're pretty and have frogs that really excited my boyfriend the one night we got to stay in one) these areas at some times of year are breeding grounds for different types of bugs (try as it might the mouse cannot kill all the bugs on grounds) when the Mousekeepers clean sometimes they prop the door open and during breeding season some bugs can get into the rooms. These bugs find the closest thing to their natural homes (dark, damp, wet... fridge!) and lay their eggs these hatch, and during the slow season these rooms may go unchecked if the room has low turnover.

As for the blood, grease, and garbage... the guy at the front desk simply apologized, gave us a credit (not that we asked for one) and said that some Mousekeepers might be having a bad day. I left it at that and enjoyed my vacation until the invasion of the bugs, and when that was fixed I was in a pretty good mood.

I go to the House of Mouse every year, sometimes twice a year. I have stayed at almost every hotel on property. I just booked a trip and am staying at the Poly. I've stayed at POR a few times, I liked it... just there are some parts of it that are ugly. Enjoy your trip!!!! If you two want a nice night and have some extra money I would recommend taking the horse drawn carriages around both properties at the start of the trip, it's a great way to gauge the distance between the properties.

Oh, I wrote to Disney when we got back and they apologized and *gasp* told me that this does happen often as Disney was built on wetland like property.

I apoligize you felt so unwelcomed. But still am not buying your story. My mother has been a CM for fifteen yrs at WDW. Has held every job from a conceirge to renting strollers. I have heard almost every horror story you could imagine. NEVER once have I heard anything like this. Disney isnt perfect by no means but if something like what you described happen.... heads would roll. I know of CM's who were dismissed for far less then what you described. If Mousekeeping left your room in that condition or "dumped" trash in your luggage there would be a dismissal or two. I know for a FACT that rooms are checked randomly by supervisors.

Maybe if you had established yourself here before you gave such a wild tale you might have been recieved with more of a cordial response. You have to remember who your audience is.....these are people who have visited WDW many many times combined. In all the years I have lurked around these blue pages your story is one of the most farfetched yet. So forgive me for not buying your story.....

I still am not buying it.....:shrug:

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Who else would love to see a copy of the letter that Disney wrote that says that roaches happen "often". This poster is getting all the excitement - bloody, greasy room, mousekeepers so he!! bent on revenge that they will throw garbage into their suitcase, the largest infestation of roaches in the world and now Disney admits a roach problem on paper! :eek::eek::eek:

Why can't all of these one-of-a-kind, never-before-happened, completely-unbelievable things happen on my trips to Disney? That would truly be a magical moment

Recently, at my home area, I went for a lovely ice-cream. We sat on a bench near a fence for about 5 minutes. When we got up we were covered in ticks. (At least 6 off my son and husband) Since I had gone there often, I went to the owner to quietly tell him this. I expected him to say, I'm sorry, we haven't had time to spray, thanks for letting me know. But, no he said, "it's the woods, there are ticks, what do you expect." This came from the owner. I live in an area that is much more tick infested, and yes, we do check daily. We have NEVER been swarmed with them. Maybe someone DID SAY that to her thinking it's near a swamp. I've had many people in guest relations say the weirdest things. BUT, we've never gotten things in writing. Generally when you write to complain they call you. I've had some real issues with other places and I"m very verbal. They have NEVER sent me a written response. They have always called me. Anyone ever get a letter????

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Recently, at my home area, I went for a lovely ice-cream. We sat on a bench near a fence for about 5 minutes. When we got up we were covered in ticks. (At least 6 off my son and husband) Since I had gone there often, I went to the owner to quietly tell him this. I expected him to say, I'm sorry, we haven't had time to spray, thanks for letting me know. But, no he said, "it's the woods, there are ticks, what do you expect." This came from the owner. I live in an area that is much more tick infested, and yes, we do check daily. We have NEVER been swarmed with them. Maybe someone DID SAY that to her thinking it's near a swamp. I've had many people in guest relations say the weirdest things. BUT, we've never gotten things in writing. Generally when you write to complain they call you. I've had some real issues with other places and I"m very verbal. They have NEVER sent me a written response. They have always called me. Anyone ever get a letter????

I have sent an e-mail and got responses by e-mail from it. It was followed up by a phone call but I have e-mails on hand from Disney and I'm very familiar with their spiels about customer service issues (as an ex-Disney employee I've given as well as received them) and I know Disney would not admit to a roach problem. That means that now I have to believe that this person also got the one person (by letter, e-mail or phone) that has no idea of basic Disney customer service protocal...just another "amazing" thing to add to the completely unbelievable story.

Disney may apologize for an issue and even offer something in recompense but admitting something like that is simply not in the Disney customer service repertoire.

Upvote 0

jnbarrett

I am sure this type of thread is repetitive, but DW and I just changed or room reservation from French Quarter to Riverside. What I really want to know is; what do you find good, bad, and ugly. Which rooms are the best? We would like to stay relatively close to the food court. We also do not want to be too far away from the main pool. The hot tubs seem to help us relax even more in the evening. Our reservation is for a standard room.

PoR is our preferred resort whenever we go to Disney. We've stayed there half a dozen times over the years and the rooms have always been neat, clean and fresh.

If you have kids, the trundle (now they are more like a murphy bed) beds are very convenient. It's quieter because it's a bit more spread out, and the pool area has a nice relaxing bar for "boat drinks". Each unit area has it's own quieter pool area as well.

The food court has lots of selection, and is fairly spread out. We like the Magnolia Terrace since it's close to Old Man Island.

Have fun! We'll be there at the end of September.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

I've gotten e-mails, but that's with questions. Anything that had a major problem, they called. I can't imagine them admitting to having roaches in writing because I would think that could be spread around and seriously hurt their business. So, there is no way I believe she got a letter stating they have a roach problem.
I have had trash in my room under the bed that was gross (At Animal Kingdom) and poor housecleaning... but, dumping trash on the luggage... I can't imagine that happening.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

Who else would love to see a copy of the letter that Disney wrote that says that roaches happen "often". t

I would too. I wrote a letter and received a response. I never said they wrote a letter back, that was your own assumption. They did not write a letter but called the number I indicated in mine.

As far as cast members getting fired I do not know if the person was fired, that was none of my business. I've worked for a five star hotel for years, so has my boyfriend. Things like this happen all the time at hotels. It just so happened that we were incredibly unlucky. I'm not trying to sensationalize anything I just wanted to help and warn others.

I hope these things don't happen to anyone. They were not very fun to deal with while on vacation.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

Also if you are renting a car you can ask for a room closer to the parking lots. This was helpful when we decided to leave for a day to Universal and we found the parking lots to be plentiful.

Upvote 0
Highly recomend this resort I give it 5 stars! the price is... well ok,... you get what you pay for its not a value resort! I really like the country atmosphere that makes it real relaxing, the pool is great with a sweet water slide! At pool side, see if they still have the gourmet popcorn, if they still have it, it is well worth buying and enjoying pool side! the food court and the main "lobby" takes you way back with the mill spinning in the water. It may sound gross but check out the bathrooms in the lobby, the toilets flush with a pull chain like they did in the old days. there is a boat that will take you to downtown Disney straight from the resort. Like all resorts, Disney sparred no detail building this hotel, I really think you will enjoy your stay! :wave:

Upvote 0

Epcot Dave

Thank you for the suggestions. We both found them educational and yes even entertaining. I liked the look on DW's face at the mention of roaches.:ROFLOL: We are as stoked as ever.

We've been there...counting....11 times and at several times of the year. Other than that nasty black mating bug that seems to infest Florida...can't remember the time of year, which you really can do little about, I have never seen a roach inside any of my rooms in any of my stays. Period.

Are they out there? Sure, ask anyone in hospitality or food service...they're there somewhere. Are they in your room? Almost assuredly not unless there was spill of something sugary behind the fridge or some place out of reach.

My recommendations would be to look up maps of the resort online...they are out there no problem and see where you want to stay. We do "standard" rooms and had good luck with room 9097 last time in Oak Manor. It faced out from the resort but was only a short walk from the East Depot, which came in really handy.

If you get into Buildings 85 or 90 you should be golden.

I've done POR without kids and with one and two, and with one and two place strollers. You'd think from some that having 4 bus stops mean the world was going to end or something. You will do a fair amount of walking here, but less than others. It's really not a big deal unless you have sever conditioning, cardiovascular, or joint issues. My knees aren't very good and neither is my back, but we stay here just fine and deal with it. I try to get to the local Gym as often as possible the last 3-4 months and put in as much treadmill time as it can.

Good: The Riverside Food Court has the best damn carrot cake ever, in particular if you, like me, think nuts ruin carrot cake. It's simply awesome.

The build it yourself pasta is great to split, and if you have mugs for the adults, the DDP, and kids that don't drink soda (like ours 4&8), you can really work the drink credits with meals in the food court. We bring cold packs, an insulated bag, reuseable closeable bottles for the kids. The two of us use insulated water bottles that we fill at the water valves on the drink machines in the food court. It's filtered, so you don't get the nasty MK water taste all day. Unless you like that, LOL.

When you get there, ask the bus drivers when you can what pattern they use...they are usually different between Studios, MK, and Epcot. If you have a bus route that hits the perimeter before the main (South) depot and you can get to the depot before the South Depot at busy times, it can save you a bit of waiting.

Good luck...our next trip is to FQ out of consideration to others in the party, otherwise we'd be back to POR!

-Dave

Upvote 0

crispy

We did find a frog in our room on the last day of our stay last year. It did freak me out, but it didn't ruin our stay there. Here's a picture!

232323232%7Ffp63566%3Enu%3D78%3C8%3E6%3B9%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3A363%3B57349nu0mrj

Upvote 0

Annielkd

The two of us use insulated water bottles that we fill at the water valves on the drink machines in the food court. It's filtered, so you don't get the nasty MK water taste all day. Unless you like that, LOL.

-Dave

I never knew this. I always get the water from the fountains and use crystal light to mask the taste! Thanks for the information!!!!

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Ten years ago we returned to our room in Alligator Bayou and discovered a termite swarm. The front desk quickly sent an exterminator and we were moved to another room. We weren't given any "credit", but I didn't ask for anything either...it's Florida, bugs happen, get over it.

Upvote 0

Epcot Dave

I never knew this. I always get the water from the fountains and use crystal light to mask the taste! Thanks for the information!!!!

I used to be an engineer for a fountain machine maker...they recommend filters on the input water to protect the valves from deposits. There will always be a valve for water...sometimes you need to look for the button, sometimes the valve is dedicated to water. Some places have water towers attached to their ice makers too. Same thing, filtered water. With the fountain valves, it will be the same temp as the soda/juice/whatever coming out of the other valves.

-Dave

Upvote 0

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
i agree, the "roach" story sounds a bit exagerated. Our family has stayed at the resort many times and never seen a roach. Dont let that affect your decision in any way. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Heads would roll!

I know that if any of this happened, heads would roll!
PORS has many bugs, and frogs :lol: ( love the picture)!
In fact, the main pool has a lot of debris from the surrounding trees in it!:eek:

We had flying bugs in our room, funny looking, but nothing to be alarmed about!

Also lizards and so many other creatures! That's what makes Disney, especially PORS, so special.:)

The boat to DTD is so nice!:)

I have never had a problem w/ stained sheets, etc... I can't imagine it happening @ Disney! If it did, then like I said, heads would roll! ( per another poster on here):) Any complaints are quickly taken care of in my experience!:)

You can take the boat to POFQ and enjoy the pool as well as the food court! So enjoy!:)

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I call TROLL BS on this post.....only 2 post? hmmmmmm. I have seen mosquitos....various kinds of bugs.... ( your in Fla) in all my visits and staying on property.... not once have I ever seen a roach. I am not buying one single word of this. Am I drunk with the Disney kool aid? maybe...but I am certianally not blinded by this BS.

I have never had roaches at POR however we grand opened then PO, and I woke up to roaches on my DD baby bottles. We were on the first level. In 2007 and 2009 we did not have them in our room but at night saw roaches under the benches right outside the store in the court yard and also by pool bar at night, lawn chairs at night and walking through the main walk area to the pool, where the alligators are at. There were not not just a few, but quite a few.

The other odd place I saw roaches this April and freaked me out was under the benches and around them across from Toy Story at DHS, again at night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom