Rivers of Light closing

thomas998

I respect your opinion, but I disagree that the park is pointless at night. In fact, there are parts of it which, in my opinion, are far better at night. For example, Pandora is exceptional after dark. I would also prefer riding EE at night as opposed to the day every time. The safari is also very cool as it gets a little darker (of course, it’s still pretty hit or miss with respect to which animals you see). To be honest, I can’t really think of anything at the park that the night negatively affects. Maybe KRR? I dunno. Anyway, agree to disagree, I suppose!
I agree there are some things that are fine in the dark... my point is simply that lots of things are pointless at night and when you look at the amount of things that are pretty much crossed off when the sun goes down the park becomes pointless.

JusticeDisney

I agree there are some things that are fine in the dark... my point is simply that lots of things are pointless at night and when you look at the amount of things that are pretty much crossed off when the sun goes down the park becomes pointless.
Not arguing with you, just genuinely curious - what do you consider “crossed off” at night?

KaliSplash

As I have mentioned elsewhere, we were not impressed the one time we saw it. there is an overbearing song, "We Are One" that plays over and over again. there are floating light barges that move back and forth an around. Way late, there were other barges with people on them doing I don't know what. End of show Of course, I was never a fan of ROE at Epcot. There's fireworks, ehh music and a ball in the middle of the lake that changes colors. End of show.

cookiee_munster

Is there any way possible that this lake area could be separated from the rest of the waterways, then properly concreted like paradise peer at California Adventure and have a proper world of colour show rig installed? or is it just too costly?

Stitch826

Personally, I only saw the show once, but I enjoyed it. The light projections could have been clearer, but overall I had a positive impression of it. Loved the music. Hopefully Disney replaces it with a new nighttime show once park hours return to normal. I’ve seen plenty of posts here and on Facebook and Twitter praising the fact that the show is gone (as well as the ride from Dinoland). What people don’t seem to be recognizing is that without replacements for these attractions (yet), people will be spending more time on other rides, increasing wait times.

NelleBelle

Personally, I only saw the show once, but I enjoyed it. The light projections could have been clearer, but overall I had a positive impression of it. Loved the music. Hopefully Disney replaces it with a new nighttime show once park hours return to normal. I’ve seen plenty of posts here and on Facebook and Twitter praising the fact that the show is gone (as well as the ride from Dinoland). What people don’t seem to be recognizing is that without replacements for these attractions (yet), people will be spending more time on other rides, increasing wait times.
Except that Primeval Whirl was already just operating seasonly so people were already waiting in other lines; as for Stitch, I frankly can't remember the last time I saw that ride open...same thing, people already have to wait since that ride was pretty much closed.

pkkurz

I can’t say I’m sorry to see it go. I‘ve seen both versions and was equally unimpressed. The concept was good however the show was underwhelming. I kept expecting more and then the lights came back on. End of show.

. . . I have always like light shows like this and was really looking forward to see it, keeping away from Youtube vids so as not to spoil it . . .

I visited during the employee preview and was greatly disappointed that things were not working. The project was woefully behind schedule, and they rushed to get it open and satisfy complaints of guests and critics. It was a good idea, but poorly implemented. The floating lights never worked, due to terrible contractor software. The lights were supposed to float around, come close to a raft/barge, then divert around the lake. Sounds cool! However, the floating lights kept crashing into the barges and each other. How dumb! Robot carpet sweepers have been avoiding house objects for years, and a simple program to replicate this could not be written?

Disney phased out the majority of HIGHLY PAID Imagineering Staff several years ago, and now relies upon contractors. There are projects that have errors and mistakes by non-employees. (Any one remember how the Yeti used to try to grab you, but the structure was ill-engineered and waving the arm would pull down the entire system?) "Rivers" is just another example.

In my opinion, Rhode should be stood against a wall and shot for helping to kill-off the Imagineers. Using outsiders who do not know he history of rides/attractions and previous errors and fixes are just simply repeating them.

Of course, we do not need to go that far. Ogre (oops, Iger) idea for Galaxy Edge is a great bust. No wonder he is trying to gracefully exit. More than $1billion and the customer draw was minimal, even before COVID struck. There simply is not the mad rush to visit the "Star-Wars-Land", as Ogre (oops, again, Iger) thought. There have been endless blasts from reviewers and media. One ride might be a success, but the other is a a bust. Can anyone but Iger assume two rides would/could justify $1billion in cost? Plus, Star-Wars-Land is more of a merchandise mall than any of the other parks. One souvenir strip mall inside a large walking park area. Sure, there was an initial surge of guests who were interested in the project, but quickly the word got around that it was a mistake, and people stopped coming - even for the first time. I was able to visit Star-Wars-Land during the employee-only preview, and walked out thinking, "Is that all there is to this?" As a employee (CM) I was aghast at the cost and result.

JustAFan

I found it pleasant but lackluster when I saw it last July. I'm okay with something new.
My feelings also. If there weren't more spectacular shows and things to see in context around it, it might be entertaining. With more exciting things to see and do, my reaction was "ok, it was nice."

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Honestly they would have been better off just building a dancing fountain system with flame throwers and doing that show automated periodically thruout the day and have imagery at night. A quick walk by show.

StarshipDisney

I guess I'll go with the dissenting opinion here because we actually liked ROL and are sorry to see it go. We had hoped to catch the ROL dessert party some day...but guess not now. But surely they did not build all that seating space just to see it rot so hopefully we will see something back someday.

DisneyNorthFan

I also enjoyed the show - not a must see - but a nice way to end the day at AK. If they replace it when things return to normal, I'd be okay, but to leave all those wonderfully themed seating areas unused and not have a nighttime show would be a big disappointment.

Graham9

Original Poster
I visited during the employee preview and was greatly disappointed that things were not working. The project was woefully behind schedule, and they rushed to get it open and satisfy complaints of guests and critics. It was a good idea, but poorly implemented. The floating lights never worked, due to terrible contractor software. The lights were supposed to float around, come close to a raft/barge, then divert around the lake. Sounds cool! However, the floating lights kept crashing into the barges and each other. How dumb! Robot carpet sweepers have been avoiding house objects for years, and a simple program to replicate this could not be written?

Disney phased out the majority of HIGHLY PAID Imagineering Staff several years ago, and now relies upon contractors. There are projects that have errors and mistakes by non-employees. (Any one remember how the Yeti used to try to grab you, but the structure was ill-engineered and waving the arm would pull down the entire system?) "Rivers" is just another example.

In my opinion, Rhode should be stood against a wall and shot for helping to kill-off the Imagineers. Using outsiders who do not know he history of rides/attractions and previous errors and fixes are just simply repeating them.

Of course, we do not need to go that far. Ogre (oops, Iger) idea for Galaxy Edge is a great bust. No wonder he is trying to gracefully exit. More than $1billion and the customer draw was minimal, even before COVID struck. There simply is not the mad rush to visit the "Star-Wars-Land", as Ogre (oops, again, Iger) thought. There have been endless blasts from reviewers and media. One ride might be a success, but the other is a a bust. Can anyone but Iger assume two rides would/could justify $1billion in cost? Plus, Star-Wars-Land is more of a merchandise mall than any of the other parks. One souvenir strip mall inside a large walking park area. Sure, there was an initial surge of guests who were interested in the project, but quickly the word got around that it was a mistake, and people stopped coming - even for the first time. I was able to visit Star-Wars-Land during the employee-only preview, and walked out thinking, "Is that all there is to this?" As a employee (CM) I was aghast at the cost and result.

Reading these posts, although we like to draw our own opinions on stuff, it seems the RoL appears to be a bust, which I find surprising. I always thought given Disney has done stuff like Festival of the Lion King and Fantasmic, I assumed this would be at the same level. Your comments about contractors doesn't surprise me and seems a little misguided, where proper knowledgeable staff could manufacture an attraction to draw crowds (and money) but prefer to go with the short win of using cheap contractors thinking its a quick money save and ending up keeping crowds away and spending yet more money either revamping the old attraction, replacing it with something better or just walking away and writing off the money as a loss.

Galaxy's Edge is something else we have yet to see, not having been to the World for five years. Again, we have avoided vids and photos to see what it's like for ourselves, even though we are not really ardent Star Wars fans. But maybe because the later films were underwhelming which dilutes people's interest in it which is perhaps why it the concept seems luke-warm to people. Had the films been spectacular mega-blockbusters, there may have been a greater interest with a greater crowd pull.

Po'Rich

I was just watching a video of Rivers of Light. I think I'm really going to miss this show. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the show really grew on me over the years. For a park that cannot have fireworks, I think they did some really interesting things with water, color, and the floats. There is a beauty in the show that makes it unique. Additionally, I really like the music.

As Disney considers providing nighttime entertainment again, I hope they rethink their decision to end this show (unless they actually have plans to replace it with something better. . . . yet, after MSEP, I somehow doubt there's a replacement planned).

TTA94

I was just watching a video of Rivers of Light. I think I'm really going to miss this show. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the show really grew on me over the years. For a park that cannot have fireworks, I think they did some really interesting things with water, color, and the floats. There is a beauty in the show that makes it unique. Additionally, I really like the music.

As Disney considers providing nighttime entertainment again, I hope they rethink their decision to end this show (unless they actually have plans to replace it with something better. . . . yet, after MSEP, I somehow doubt there's a replacement planned).

I agree. RoL definitely had its issues and had very high expectations that it didn’t live up to, yet I am still going to miss it. ☹️

TTA94

I agree. RoL definitely had its issues and had very high expectations that it didn’t live up to, yet I am still going to miss it. ☹️

From my above post, Does anyone know what that music is from? Tried several song identifers and nothing comes up. Maybe its from a audio network or something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom