Rise of the Resistance: Lightsaber Through the Ceiling Effect

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
*Spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't ridden RotR or seen videos and doesn't want details on a key scene*

So, on RotR, there is a scene towards the climax of the ride where Kylo Ren's lightsaber pierces through the ceiling and appears to cut a hole in the ceiling. I think I know how it is achieved, but I want to know if anyone can confirm. My assumption is that there is a pre-cut rotating disk embedded into the ceiling. At the start of the scene, the disk is rotated such that none of the pre-cut section can be scene. The disk rotates and as soon as the first bit of the pre-cut section comes into view, the light saber on a separate controlled arm is pushes through the cut. The disk then continues to rotate in conjunction with the movement of the light saber making it look like the light saber is cutting.

Am I close?

kap91

*Spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't ridden RotR or seen videos and doesn't want details on a key scene*

So, on RotR, there is a scene towards the climax of the ride where Kylo Ren's lightsaber pierces through the ceiling and appears to cut a hole in the ceiling. I think I know how it is achieved, but I want to know if anyone can confirm. My assumption is that there is a pre-cut rotating disk embedded into the ceiling. At the start of the scene, the disk is rotated such that none of the pre-cut section can be scene. The disk rotates and as soon as the first bit of the pre-cut section comes into view, the light saber on a separate controlled arm is pushes through the cut. The disk then continues to rotate in conjunction with the movement of the light saber making it look like the light saber is cutting.

Am I close?
No inside knowledge here but that is my suspicion as well...I'd actually wager they rotate together on the same rig.

DisAl

More likely one of the new technology 3d projections. If it were a rotating disk the molten slag on the edge of the cut would move; it does not.

Rob562

More likely one of the new technology 3d projections. If it were a rotating disk the molten slag on the edge of the cut would move; it does not.

It's both. The rotating ceiling takes care of the physical aspect, but there is also a projection (upward from the floor, I believe) of the glow of the "melted" ceiling.

I recall in one of the regular Rise threads someone posted that there were various versions of the effect tested out in WDI labs. The one that was deemed most convincing/impressive actually projected a texture onto the ceiling so that it was even less obvious that the physical ceiling was moving. But for whatever reason they didn't go with that one because they couldn't get it to reliably look good. (I'm sure any slight out-of-focus of the projector or vibration of the moving ceiling panel would ruin the illusion)

-Rob

Chet Dakota

Episode 6 of The Imagineering Story on Disney Plus has a short clip of what I assume to be a working/test version of the effect. It appears to be different than what is in the ride at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom