Ripoff resolved

NelleBelle

It's one thing to travel without insurance in the US. But as mentioned above, we ALWAYS buy travel ins. when we cruise. Even overseas, we do it. Having a chronic health condition there is no way I would even dream of risking it. After our 2nd son was born, we had a trip to New Zealand and Australia planned--my best friend was getting married to a "kiwi" and I was her maid of honor. However, we knew that the baby would only be about a month-old and as a diabetic, may have a difficult recovery. Sure enough, baby was born early and neither of us were cleared to travel overseas for medical reasons but having that insurance made it the easiest thing to get everything reimbursed.

dhousedog

Original Poster
We have Never bought Travel Ins. We travel A lot , and by saving the cost of Ins over the last 40 years, we can absorb the cost of a lost trip if ever we have to cancel. Also as others have said, your credit card company will almost always have your back.
[/QU÷ OTE]
.aw

dhousedog

Original Poster
Disney rep called today and told me they rolled the insurance over to next year's trip. The email that Clamman sent to me was helpful. The guest relations rep was very nice and helpful. She apologized for the mixup and said that the cast members that I talked to had received "coaching" whatever that is. I told her that everyone (except the last man) was polite. I am definitely happy with this fair outcome. If you can roll unused insurance over to a new package then it should be consistent.

thomas998

I called again today

I did just that today and was told by the guest representative (who checked with another) that because I cancelled the trip the insurance money was gone. They said had I booked another trip that the insurance money WOULD HAVE transferred with me. I asked why I wasnt told this and they apologized profusely. But that is all I'm going to get. I did tell them that I had made another reservation for next May and could they roll the money over and they said no.
Welcome to reality. You as a guest just don't matter to Disney... especially since you have already booked the trip for next year. Maybe after the pandemic is over and the are running low on guest they will start to care a little more but at the moment they are still in the mindset of guest don't matter because our resorts are almost always full...

In the end, you made one big mistake in not verifying the terms of the insurance before you did anything. You might have been better off if you hadn't cancelled and then collected based on the inability to go because Disney was closed.

Hockey89

Welcome to reality. You as a guest just don't matter to Disney... especially since you have already booked the trip for next year. Maybe after the pandemic is over and the are running low on guest they will start to care a little more but at the moment they are still in the mindset of guest don't matter because our resorts are almost always full...

In the end, you made one big mistake in not verifying the terms of the insurance before you did anything. You might have been better off if you hadn't cancelled and then collected based on the inability to go because Disney was closed.
It’s Disney’s fault that he doesn’t understand insurance? Ok. Lol.

thomas998

It’s Disney’s fault that he doesn’t understand insurance? Ok. Lol.
If as he said the insurance was from a insurer that they were pushing then when he was trying to cancel and rebook they should have told him how to avoid being charged again for insurance. Same thing as when you order food and the place has a special that will save you money, a person taking your order could be helpful and tell you about the special or say nothing and just enjoy getting more money.

dhousedog

Original Poster

I did eventually get the money rolled over to next year's trip through a guest relations rep.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I cancelled my May 15 2020 trip today because this was the day the balance was due. The representative helped me to cancel with no problems. UNTILL at the end of the conversation when I asked about a refund of the trip insurance. I was told to contact the AON (Disney recommended) insurance company for a refund. Which I did- only to be told there would be no refunds of the policy. I told them I had booked another trip for next May 2021 and could I use the money to go on next year's trip insurance. She said no that Disney would have to do that.
I called Disney and was informed that I could not put the $424 on next year's trip because I h ad cancelled this May 2020 trip (just less than 2 hours previously.)
I said that I had already booked a room for next year and only cancelled a few minutes ago. They told me that they had cancelled my trip and I couldn't roll that money to next year.
They went on to tell me how the insurance would help with any money we were out BUT there is none! My airline costs went into a voucher for next year.
I said this doesn't hurt Disney at all, the insurance will make money for nothing, and I'm out $424.
Apparently I am the only person having this trouble according to Disney. Is there anyone that is having this problem? epHelp please!
I did get thi matter resolved and got a full refund from a guest relations rep.

Hockey89

If as he said the insurance was from a insurer that they were pushing then when he was trying to cancel and rebook they should have told him how to avoid being charged again for insurance. Same thing as when you order food and the place has a special that will save you money, a person taking your order could be helpful and tell you about the special or say nothing and just enjoy getting more money.
AON is not an insurance carrier. Free will and choice. Understand the policy.

DVCakaCarlF

You can’t have the cake and eat it, too. You essentially double dipped, and they gave up and refunded it because they know you will spend more than the premium in return visits.

Woukd you expect Nationwide to both replace your stolen car andgive you the cash value when it was found? I don’t think so...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
You can’t have the cake and eat it, too. You essentially double dipped, and they gave up and refunded it because they know you will spend more than the premium in return visits.

Woukd you expect Nationwide to both replace your stolen car andgive you the cash value when it was found? I don’t think so...

But Peyton told me they were on my side...

dhousedog

Original Poster

The insurance didnt replace anything. They were out $0. It wasn't even used. If they will roll the insurance over when you cancel and reschedule (which they say they do but did not tell me) I could have rescheduled on that first phone call to Disney. As it was I already had a reservation made because
Their explanation of why I couldn't do this was lame. They basically said it was because I didnt rebook during the first Disney cancellation call. But the first cast member I talked told me to contact AON- who told me to contact Disney.
The final guest rep said that was where the problem happened. The first call I made. She said the cast member should not have done that but instead should have gotten me into contact with someone who knew what to do.
So she rebooked my trip I already had and rolled the insurance money over.
If at the worst I was refunded unfairly (which I don't think and apparently the guest rep didnt thinj so either) when I get to Disney (if we do next year) the price I am paying for just the suite for 7 people is in the 5+ figures. So I think everyone will be ok. We'll probably spend more than enough for Disney to make a profit on us.

Chef Mickey

The insurance didnt replace anything. They were out $0. It wasn't even used. If they will roll the insurance over when you cancel and reschedule (which they say they do but did not tell me) I could have rescheduled on that first phone call to Disney. As it was I already had a reservation made because
Their explanation of why I couldn't do this was lame. They basically said it was because I didnt rebook during the first Disney cancellation call. But the first cast member I talked told me to contact AON- who told me to contact Disney.
The final guest rep said that was where the problem happened. The first call I made. She said the cast member should not have done that but instead should have gotten me into contact with someone who knew what to do.
So she rebooked my trip I already had and rolled the insurance money over.
If at the worst I was refunded unfairly (which I don't think and apparently the guest rep didnt thinj so either) when I get to Disney (if we do next year) the price I am paying for just the suite for 7 people is in the 5+ figures. So I think everyone will be ok. We'll probably spend more than enough for Disney to make a profit on us.
I don't really disagree with your premise, but insurance doesn't work that way.

Most of the time, insurance companies have to be out $0 and still collect the premium or insurance wouldn't work. When you don't have an accident in your car or a claim on your property, you don't get a refund.

Insurance gives you peace of mind IF something covered happens and insures you for the time the policy is in place. You're paying someone else to worry about it, essentially.

In your case, I would say there are extenuating circumstances due to the impossibility of traveling at all, but I'm still not sure you're owed money back.

I'm literally not driving my cars due to the virus, but I'm not getting a refund on my car insurance.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I don't really disagree with your premise, but insurance doesn't work that way.

Most of the time, insurance companies have to be out $0 and still collect the premium or insurance wouldn't work. When you don't have an accident in your car or a claim on your property, you don't get a refund.

Insurance gives you peace of mind IF something covered happens and insures you for the time the policy is in place. You're paying someone else to worry about it, essentially.

In your case, I would say there are extenuating circumstances due to the impossibility of traveling at all, but I'm still not sure you're owed money back.

I'm literally not driving my cars due to the virus, but I'm not getting a refund on my car insurance.
Insurance purchased through WDW and Disneyland is not Cancel for Any Reason, but their cancellation policies are so liberal that you may not need it. You can usually move a trip to a different date until the day before you leave without penalty.Sep 17, 2018

Jon81uk

We have Never bought Travel Ins. We travel A lot , and by saving the cost of Ins over the last 40 years, we can absorb the cost of a lost trip if ever we have to cancel. Also as others have said, your credit card company will almost always have your back.

Credit card chargeback won't help if you have medical expenses when abroad.
You can only chargeback the original value of the item you purchased, so it could be helpful if a seller won't refund something they should. But if you cancel because you are sick or some other reason not to do with the vendor then the credit card company has no reason to get involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom