Ripoff resolved

dhousedog

Original Poster
I cancelled my May 15 2020 trip today because this was the day the balance was due. The representative helped me to cancel with no problems. UNTILL at the end of the conversation when I asked about a refund of the trip insurance. I was told to contact the AON (Disney recommended) insurance company for a refund. Which I did- only to be told there would be no refunds of the policy. I told them I had booked another trip for next May 2021 and could I use the money to go on next year's trip insurance. She said no that Disney would have to do that.
I called Disney and was informed that I could not put the $424 on next year's trip because I h ad cancelled this May 2020 trip (just less than 2 hours previously.)
I said that I had already booked a room for next year and only cancelled a few minutes ago. They told me that they had cancelled my trip and I couldn't roll that money to next year.
They went on to tell me how the insurance would help with any money we were out BUT there is none! My airline costs went into a voucher for next year.
I said this doesn't hurt Disney at all, the insurance will make money for nothing, and I'm out $424.
Apparently I am the only person having this trouble according to Disney. Is there anyone that is having this problem? Help please!

dhousedog

Original Poster
I believe the contract has that on there. I always knew there would be no insurance refund.
The thing that bothered me was that Disney said I could have rolled that money over on a rescheduled package which I would have done. How was I supposed to know that when it was 2 hours (and 3 people) later?

Darth Figment

I need to double check, but I called and canceled my trip for sept. I asked for my money back and had it all back within a week . I didnt have trip insurance . I booked direct through disney. On the other hand , I'm fighting to get my money back from united airlines .

dhousedog

Original Poster
I called again today
I would ask to speak with a manager, just doesn't seem right
I did just that today and was told by the guest representative (who checked with another) that because I cancelled the trip the insurance money was gone. They said had I booked another trip that the insurance money WOULD HAVE transferred with me. I asked why I wasnt told this and they apologized profusely. But that is all I'm going to get. I did tell them that I had made another reservation for next May and could they roll the money over and they said no.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I believe the contract has that on there. I always knew there would be no insurance refund.
I called just that today and was told by the guest representative (who checked with another) that because I cancelled the trip the insurance money was gone. They said had I booked another trip that the insurance money WOULD HAVE transferred with me. I asked why I wasnt told this and they apologized profusely. But that is all I'm going to get. I did tell them that I had made another reservation for next May and could they roll the money over and they said no.

dhousedog

Original Poster
The thing that bothered me was that Disney said I could have rolled that money over on a rescheduled package which I would have done. How was I supposed to know that when it was 2 hours (and 3 people) later?
I called again and was told by the guest representative (who checked with another) that because I cancelled the trip the insurance money was gone. They said had I booked another trip that the insurance money WOULD HAVE transferred with me. I asked why I wasnt told this and they apologized profusely. But that is all I'm going to get. I did tell them that I had made another reservation for next May and could they roll the money over and they said no.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I did just that today and was told by the guest representative (who checked with another) that because I cancelled the trip the insurance money was gone. They said had I booked another trip that the insurance money WOULD HAVE transferred with me. I asked why I wasnt told this and they apologized profusely. But that is all I'm going to get. I did tell them that I had made another reservation for next May and could they roll the money over and they said no.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I cancelled my May 15 2020 trip today because this was the day the balance was due. The representative helped me to cancel with no problems. UNTILL at the end of the conversation when I asked about a refund of the trip insurance. I was told to contact the AON (Disney recommended) insurance company for a refund. Which I did- only to be told there would be no refunds of the policy. I told them I had booked another trip for next May 2021 and could I use the money to go on next year's trip insurance. She said no that Disney would have to do that.
I called Disney and was informed that I could not put the $424 on next year's trip because I h ad cancelled this May 2020 trip (just less than 2 hours previously.)
I said that I had already booked a room for next year and only cancelled a few minutes ago. They told me that they had cancelled my trip and I couldn't roll that money to next year.
They went on to tell me how the insurance would help with any money we were out BUT there is none! My airline costs went into a voucher for next year.
I said this doesn't hurt Disney at all, the insurance will make money for nothing, and I'm out $424.
Apparently I am the only person having this trouble according to Disney. Is there anyone that is having this problem? Help please!

Clamman73

(What I would do since I think emailing has it in writing and usually gets better results than calling someone)

Try email to AON. Explain your situation, how you would like it resolved, the action you’ve taken already with your calls and why in these extraordinary circumstances you feel this was an unsatisfactory outcome.

Email to the following, the travelprotect address and affinity address.
CC the AON CEO Greg Case and also Disney: guest.services@disneyworld.com

4293C501-B8CC-4538-B576-D438D0816B30.jpeg761F3D72-8C23-4DFD-904E-74700DD4C01E.jpeg

eliza61nyc

(What I would do since I think emailing has it in writing and usually gets better results than calling someone)

Try email to AON. Explain your situation, how you would like it resolved, the action you’ve taken already with your calls and why in these extraordinary circumstances you feel this was an unsatisfactory outcome.

Email to the following, the travelprotect address and affinity address.
CC the AON CEO Greg Case and also Disney: guest.services@disneyworld.com

View attachment 463515View attachment 463516
Sorry I'm trying to understand why this is a unsatisfactory outcome.
That is how ALL trip insurance works. Actually it's pretty much how most insurance works. You don't get the price of the policy refunded.
So why is this an special situation??

StarshipDisney

That is how ALL trip insurance works. Actually it's pretty much how most insurance works. You don't get the price of the policy refunded.

I am sorry this happened, but I must concur. It has always been my understanding as well that trip insurance (specifically) was non-refundable. If you buy it and then cancel the trip for any reason, you don't get it back. Doubt anyone would ever have thought about the need for a pandemic clause.

dhousedog

Original Poster
It's the fact that Disney told me after I already cancelled that I needed to talk to the insurance company who then referred me back to Disney. Three Disney reps said that if I would have rebooked the insurance money would have gone to my new reservation. I explained to them that I had made another reservation for next May and could the insurance money go for that trip. They said no.
They said if I had cancelled and rebooked at that time kon that phone call) it would be fine to transfer it. But since I had already cancelled (only 2 hours prior to this conversation) even though I had already rebooked for next year they wouldn't transfer.
For myself I dont see why 1. This wasnt explained at the time of cancellation 2. What difference does 2 hours make?
If I had known I could have booked another package and taken my insurance money with me.
Please explain to me if you can why this is not just an arbitrary decision. I do understand travel insurance but I don't understand this. It seems underhanded and not in the "have a magical day Disney tradition. "
The only entity in this deal that's making money is the AON company. They are not out 1 dime on my losses which don't exist. Disney is not losing anything. I am. Just seems ridiculous to me to be bilked out of $424 on such a technicality.
I told the Disney rep even if they issued a refund on my account I would just turn around and spend it in WDW next year. I am spending a load of money already on a suite for 7 people for next May. Seems like they could do something.

dhousedog

Original Poster
I am sorry this happened, but I must concur. It has always been my understanding as well that trip insurance (specifically) was non-refundable. If you buy it and then cancel the trip for any reason, you don't get it back. Doubt anyone would ever have thought about the need for a pandemic clause.
Please read my follow up explanation of why I consider this unfair. I'd be glad to hear any comments you might have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom