RIP Judy Hopps

AugieMorosco

Which things and who is pressuring them?
I wouldn't mind seeing Splash Mountain re-themed. The cringe-y Song of the South stuff is always present in the back of my mind, even though it isn't in the ride itself. And it's not like Disney is committed to acknowledging the film as part of it's history. Iger himself said they wouldn't be releasing it and it's "not appropriate in today's world."

The Grand Inquisitor

Haha. You are the real Lightbeer, because you did not get the sarcasm
1592939423981.png

No Name

I wouldn't mind seeing Splash Mountain re-themed. The cringe-y Song of the South stuff is always present in the back of my mind, even though it isn't in the ride itself. And it's not like Disney is committed to acknowledging the film as part of it's history. Iger himself said they wouldn't be releasing it and it's "not appropriate in today's world."

The ride has nothing to do with the film other than characters and music it uses. It exists independent of the film and is enjoyed by millions each year who have never heard of Song of the South.

AugieMorosco

The ride has nothing to do with the film other than characters and music it uses. It exists independent of the film and is enjoyed by millions each year who have never heard of Song of the South.

The ride has nothing to do with the film other than the characters and music? Isn't that the very definition of theming a ride? You're welcomed to disagree with me on whether it should stay as is, but the ride is 100% themed to the movie and it's quite well known. It does not exhibit any overt racism, but it's themed to a movie that does.

No Name

Does Judy got hops?

The ride has nothing to do with the film other than the characters and music? Isn't that the very definition of theming a ride? You're welcomed to disagree with me on whether it should stay as is, but the ride is 100% themed to the movie and it's quite well known. It does not exhibit any overt racism, but it's themed to a movie that does.

As much as I would love to reply to that here, I replied to it in a thread in the dreaded politics and social issues section, to stay on topic here. But please do click the link and read.

Disneyfan1981

Judy Hopps and Splash Mountain and the people who petitioned to have it changed.

My 2 pennies is simple. If Disney won't even put Song of the South on Disney Plus or support it in any way, then it might be time for a retheming. It's hard to defend the ride with all the stuff from Song of the South when the company tossed the movie into the vault and threw away the key.

I love the ride and have a ton of merchandise from it, but my life wouldn't be ruined if it were changed. Ironically one of the ideas that keeps coming up is to retheme it with Zootopia characters.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's a thread for that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom