Rides To Avoid Post-Surgery

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with JoeCamel. Without knowing what muscles, bones, and or organs were cut/modified/pushed around and thier healing rates it's a hazard to make any assumptions or follow any random suggestions.

Chef Mickey

Kind of a cryptic explanation - how can we know with an "I had surgery" post?

Obviously, avoid anything that's fast or has sudden movements and look at the warning signs.

You might be in bad enough shape I'd recommend staying home. You said it's been since last summer, so I'd think you'd be good to go. You also said "next year" so is that 2025? Again, seems you'd be healed up unless it's some permanent issue - again, not detailed enough.

WAY too cryptic.

If you don't want to get into it, talk to your doc.

JIMINYCR

As others have said we dont know the type of procedure you went through and how its affected you. No one is in a position to give advice that would help you with vague info.. Theres enough clear point of view ride through videos out there that shows guests what the rides are about, the actions they take, how rough they are and how they jostle guests around. Watching those you might get a view of what you might be better off avoiding.

jloucks

I mean, it was said above, ask your doctor.

Now, if you are like me and tend to ignore your doctor a bit, I would say work your way up until it hurts.

So save the Space Mountains and other large coaster rides for last. Do the mid-tier stuff and see if that hurts. Tower of Terror is a nice mid-tier. See if that gives you the ouchies and go from there.

I am old, so I am in mild pain pretty much all the time. I ignore it, and you can too!

If the issue is just cosmetic, like a colostomy bag, just wear something that can absorb opsies and a few spares.

---> All advice above is opinion and reflects zero medical advice competence.

JoeCamel

I mean, it was said above, ask your doctor.

Now, if you are like me and tend to ignore your doctor a bit, I would say work your way up until it hurts.

So save the Space Mountains and other large coaster rides for last. Do the mid-tier stuff and see if that hurts. Tower of Terror is a nice mid-tier. See if that gives you the ouchies and go from there.

I am old, so I am in mild pain pretty much all the time. I ignore it, and you can too!

If the issue is just cosmetic, like a colostomy bag, just wear something that can absorb opsies and a few spares.

---> All advice above is opinion and reflects zero medical advice competence.
Either that or just go for it and ride Astro, if you can get in and out of that you'll be OK on the others and if you get stuck Disney will deal with it.....

MaryJaneP

Not a doctor. do not play one on TV, and didn't stay at any express hotel so the advice that is repeatedly offered above, of asking your doctor, seems wisest. Perhaps, without giving us TMI, the doctor may tell you to avoid certain stresses. If you can share this info with us, it may help us suggest which ride(s) to avoid as the ride(s) may expose you to those stresses.

MickeyLuv'r

I recently had to find this information, too. Disney puts out a map for those with disabilities that you might find helpful. Universal also makes such a guide. They list every attraction and details of what is required to ride. Like if a ride has strobes, and also details like if a ride requires a wheelchair user to transfer across a moving platform. The universal one is very specific and helpful. I found the Disney ones a bit harder to use, but they are also helpful. Like if you need a companion rest room.

This is the guide for Universal:

When it comes to bathrooms, the handicapped stalls are highly variable in size and location (within the bathroom). Each is different from the last. Important to note - every bathroom at AK has a closed door. If you are in a wheelchair or use a mobility device at AK, you (likely) need to have someone else open the door just to enter/exit at all. In contrast, most bathrooms in the other parks have open entryways.

As others have stated, you and your doctor are the only ones who can really answer that. If you have been on the rides before, rely on your knowledge of the ride to inform your decision. I recently had extensive back surgery, and know that I will never be riding SM or BTM again. But other rides that some people consider more intense, I know I will be OK on, such as RNRR or GOTG.

Be safe, and I hope you have fun!

Lilofan

As others have stated, you and your doctor are the only ones who can really answer that. If you have been on the rides before, rely on your knowledge of the ride to inform your decision. I recently had extensive back surgery, and know that I will never be riding SM or BTM again. But other rides that some people consider more intense, I know I will be OK on, such as RNRR or GOTG.

Be safe, and I hope you have fun!
One place I would never have the nerve to even experience and I'm not even injured is Blizzard Beach Summit Plummet. A free fall water slide at 60mph straight down is a no go for me. However I've seen riders that make it to the bottom lose part of their bathing attire in the process to the applause of the onlookers at the base of the slide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom