Rides and Disabled

graphite1326

I am helping a friend plan a trip to WDW. His wife is disabled and in a wheelchair but can walk for a short distance. SO, I think the list would be shorter for rides she cannot go on. If you know any please let me know or is there a place where I can get that information?

Also, to give them an example, I have never seen anyone who is in this condition get on ToT. But if they can what is the process?

nickys

Premium Member
I am helping a friend plan a trip to WDW. His wife is disabled and in a wheelchair but can walk for a short distance. SO, I think the list would be shorter for rides she cannot go on. If you know any please let me know or is there a place where I can get that information?

Also, to give them an example, I have never seen anyone who is in this condition get on ToT. But if they can what is the process?

Does this help a little? It's a list of rides by each category but it does have links to get details.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

When your friends get to the parks they can get lots of info and a guide for disabled guests or they can get the information guide ahead of time from Disney. They can also get signed up for Disability Access Service Card when they enter the parks. CM's are very helpful with guests and families that are in w/c's. The park maps also indicate which rides are able to be accessed.
When my DW was first in a w/c she went on ToT with DS, another friend and myself. We went through the entire queue and when it was time to board the elevator I transferred her to the bench seat. The CM's arranged for her w/c to be at the final point when the elevator doors opened for us to disembark. DW is now in a power w/c and on a vent and cannot be transferred out. Unfortunately there really arent a lot of rides that w/c's can load on, so guests that can transfer can do a lot more than those unable to transfer.

Upvote 0

Lisa t

For most rides, like ToT, they will let you get wheeled to the entrance or que right in front of the vehicle, then a cast member will take your wheelchair to the exit or off to the side. We do it all the time. Can go on every ride if you can walk a couple of steps. They ask on each ride if you can take a couple of steps.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

The linked site sould answer most of your questions. There are very few attractions that she can't experience. The Tree House is an obvious exception. Depending on how many steps she can take, the TTA (People Mover) may be out of reach. You have to park the wheelchair at the bottom and stand/walk up the moving ramp to reach the ride cars. Tom Sawyer's Island - the raft going over to the island can take wheelchairs, but once there, the trails and other things aren't WC friendly. Peter Pan is accessible, if she can walk a bit, but unlike other rides with a moving ride entry platform (like HM) this ride can't slow down the walkway for riders who need extra time to board.

Upvote 0

scarr13311

Did your friend ever consider renting a scooter there are several places that will deliver the scooter to the resort you are staying at and if your on a Disney resort offer discounts, and with some of the rides you can ride the scooter thru the line and then they will have it ready when you exit the ride, if you can't ride it thru then there are wheel chairs available. I have lumbar problems at the moment and have rented Buena Vista Rentals and always have had good service when we go to WDW. Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Original Poster
Did your friend ever consider renting a scooter there are several places that will deliver the scooter to the resort you are staying at and if your on a Disney resort offer discounts, and with some of the rides you can ride the scooter thru the line and then they will have it ready when you exit the ride, if you can't ride it thru then there are wheel chairs available. I have lumbar problems at the moment and have rented Buena Vista Rentals and always have had good service when we go to WDW. Hope this helps!!
That was brought up, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The linked site sould answer most of your questions. There are very few attractions that she can't experience. The Tree House is an obvious exception. Depending on how many steps she can take, the TTA (People Mover) may be out of reach. You have to park the wheelchair at the bottom and stand/walk up the moving ramp to reach the ride cars. Tom Sawyer's Island - the raft going over to the island can take wheelchairs, but once there, the trails and other things aren't WC friendly. Peter Pan is accessible, if she can walk a bit, but unlike other rides with a moving ride entry platform (like HM) this ride can't slow down the walkway for riders who need extra time to board.

They just stop Haunted Mansion to allow transfer from wheelchair or scooter.

Upvote 0

Rob562

One other point to take note of is that Disney CM's cannot physically help Guests transfer. The Guest must be able to do it themselves or have a companion who can help them with the transfer.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Tigger44

My wife and I are both handicapped and we ride everything we want to. There are special lines for handicapped people. All the cast members are very helpful.

Upvote 0

jencor

My wife is also in a wheel chair and can walk very short distances. We ride everything. Most rides are very friendly to wheel chairs and usually our wheel chair is waiting for us at the end of the ride. She does not use a scooter as she would probably run into people and I push her the whole time. I average 6-8 miles of pushing and it is very doable cause it is not all at one time. There are some frustrations at times, but we are always ready to come back. Enjoy the trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom