Ride Advice

SoKatriotic

Original Poster
Hello friends!

After a wonderful Disney World trip August of 2015, my boyfriend and I have another trip in the works for August of 2016. Let me preface this by saying that when it comes to rides, I am a wimp. I am able to ride Star Tours, Dinosaur, Test Track, and Soarin', but I am terrified of roller coasters. This past trip, I was hoping to be gutsy enough to ride Seven Dwarves Mine Train. I made FastPasses for this attraction in anticipation of facing my fear and braving the roller coaster. After many times spent watching the roller coaster, I eventually chickened out and my boyfriend went alone. Can someone please tell me how this roller coaster compares to other thrilling attractions such as Test Track? How intense are the drops? I have watched POV videos as well as seen the actual ride in action and the drops seem like a decent size. I am so scared but I would like to give it a second try in August of this year.

Also, I went on Test Track this past trip and I have been on it in years past. I feel like there were more drops this time around. I don't remember any drops other than the hill leading outside. Were drops added to the new track during the refurb?

Thanks for your help!

-Katie

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
It really should be considered a junior coaster or dark ride hybrid. The thrills are incredibly short and most of it is as slow as a dark ride.

Also Test Track's refurb was purely cosmetic. The track is completely the same.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hello friends!

After a wonderful Disney World trip August of 2015, my boyfriend and I have another trip in the works for August of 2016. Let me preface this by saying that when it comes to rides, I am a wimp. I am able to ride Star Tours, Dinosaur, Test Track, and Soarin', but I am terrified of roller coasters. This past trip, I was hoping to be gutsy enough to ride Seven Dwarves Mine Train. I made FastPasses for this attraction in anticipation of facing my fear and braving the roller coaster. After many times spent watching the roller coaster, I eventually chickened out and my boyfriend went alone. Can someone please tell me how this roller coaster compares to other thrilling attractions such as Test Track? How intense are the drops? I have watched POV videos as well as seen the actual ride in action and the drops seem like a decent size. I am so scared but I would like to give it a second try in August of this year.

Also, I went on Test Track this past trip and I have been on it in years past. I feel like there were more drops this time around. I don't remember any drops other than the hill leading outside. Were drops added to the new track during the refurb?

Thanks for your help!

-Katie

I am also a coaster wimp, but I really enjoyed the Seven Dwarves Mine Train. I feel test track is more intense. SDMT is very smooth, and only has one big drop which isn't even that bad.

mf1972

it's not a bad ride at all. runs pretty smooth, & slows down once u enter the cave to see the 7 dwarves in action. if it helps, the ride is very short. not even 2 minutes I think.

TBrooker11

I am actually in the same boat as you. I am terrified of drops. I didn't want to create a thread to ask so I am glad you did :)

I love Big Thunder but hate drops. How do you all think I would do on Space, Splash, and Seven Dwarfs?

How are the drops on those three compared to Primeval Whirl? I only ask because I can handle that one too haha.

MississippiBelle

I am actually in the same boat as you. I am terrified of drops. I didn't want to create a thread to ask so I am glad you did :)

I love Big Thunder but hate drops. How do you all think I would do on Space, Splash, and Seven Dwarfs?

How are the drops on those three compared to Primeval Whirl? I only ask because I can handle that one too haha.

The worst part about Space for someone who doesn't like drops is that it is all in the dark. It's honestly not that bad, you just can't see what's coming. Splash has the major drop and several smaller ones. I think that ride is worth it for the story and music. The big drop is over before you know it and it's at the very end. I haven't been on Seven Dwarfs but from what I've seen it isn't that bad. Some fast parts, but worth it for the visual elements throughout the ride.

Lord Starwalker

Have you considered building your way up to the Seven Dwarves Mine Train by first riding The Barnstormer? If not, I would recommend that you do so. Also if you can handle riding Dinosaur at AK, then you should find SDMT to be a less intense ride. I love riding coasters but I find riding Dinosaur to be a bit rough!

NYwdwfan

Hello friends!

Thanks for your help!

-Katie

If you're scared ask to sit near the front of the train - you may need wait to the side until they load the next train so another minute or so but its worth it because (1) you can see what's coming and prep for it and (2) because the train does not release on the drops until the BACK of the train is at the top of the lift hill - so the front of the train is a good portion of the way down the drop before the train releases. It cuts down on that stomach drop feeling and somewhat tames the drops.

FigmentPigments

My mother is very big wimp. She cannot do Space Mountain, Dinosaur, or Test Track, and she rode Splash Mountain once and never again. She absolutely loves Big Thunder and rides it every time. She rode 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and said "That was it? Thunder Mountain is way better." Even my Dad, whose has a temperamental back issue, was almost bored.

danyoung56

I agree with others above, that 7DMT is very mild. I also want to say (because I was corrected on this) that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs, at least in the Disney universe - so it's the Seven DWARFS Mine Train.

(I think in Tolkein World it's DWARVES, but not Disney.)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If you can ride Dinosaur without any trouble, then you should be perfectly fine with the following...

7 Dwarves Mine Train
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Mount Everest

These four thrills are less intense than Dinosaur, TBH. I'd only recommend staying away from Rockin Roller Coaster, Sum of All Thrills and Splash Mountain if you're afraid of gigantic drops, launch shoots, and loops.

Expedition Everest looks very intense from below, but once you're on it, it's actually a pretty smooth ride. It does go backwards, but it doesn't do anything like drop and stuff while you go backwards.

The only thing that make Space Mountain intense is that it is in the dark. With the lights on, its actually pretty boring. However I will say that after just coming back from riding Hyperspace Mountain in Disneyland, Disneyland's version is a lot better and not as bumpy.

Thunder Mountain... Family Coaster. No big drops. It's a lot of fun.

7 Dwarves is basically a junior coaster. If you can ride Goofy's Barnstormer, then you're fine with this one.

FrostyNaples

If you can ride Dinosaur without any trouble, then you should be perfectly fine with the following...

7 Dwarves Mine Train
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Mount Everest

These four thrills are less intense than Dinosaur,

Say what? lol. Backwards and the highest G-forces in the parks, Everest should not be classified as less intense than Dinosaur, sorry :rolleyes:

Space Mountain, unless its fully lit, you cannot see a darn thing, and your being thrown around in all directions (expect upside down), again, missing your mark comparing to Dinnosaur :arghh:

Big Thuder Mountain on the money being equal.

Seven Dwarves, cake walk. The ride is so 'smooth' you don't even know its over...

FigmentPigments

I agree with others above, that 7DMT is very mild. I also want to say (because I was corrected on this) that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs, at least in the Disney universe - so it's the Seven DWARFS Mine Train.

Yeah, I actually had to look it up to make sure. I always thought it was Dwarves but even the original VHS tape cover of Snow White shows it as Dwarfs. Amazing.

me_stitch

Premium Member
my mom (65 yrs young) went with us last trip and made me promise I wouldn't pressure her into going on any rides she didn't want to, she ended up doing every ride at Disney including RRC and ToT, she even did Manta at Sea World. There are no extreme rides at Disney, just fun, well-themed entertainment.

DfromATX

Ha! I remember that post and I had to look it up. I think I read that "dwarves" was created by the author.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Say what? lol. Backwards and the highest G-forces in the parks, Everest should not be classified as less intense than Dinosaur, sorry :rolleyes:

Space Mountain, unless its fully lit, you cannot see a darn thing, and your being thrown around in all directions (expect upside down), again, missing your mark comparing to Dinnosaur :arghh:

Big Thuder Mountain on the money being equal.

Seven Dwarves, cake walk. The ride is so 'smooth' you don't even know its over...

I have to disagree. Everest and space are tame compared to dinosaur's giant bumps and back aches. These are the words of my parents.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I also recommend riding BTMRR in the front row. You have a much tamer ride, in terms of roller coasters type thrills. Stay away from Space unless you have conquered the other coasters in MK.

Ha! I remember that post and I had to look it up. I think I read that "dwarves" was created by the author.

That is true. He thought that Dwarves should match Elves. It was always Dwarfs prior to Tolkien.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom