Reviews!: Zodiac; The Bourne Ultimatium

t3techcom18

Original Poster
Here's two new reviews for y'alls! Enjoy! :wave:

___________________________________________________-

MR: Zodiac

Wellll, let me start off by saying that I've had this sitting here on the comp for the longest time. Why? Well, honestly, cause I didn't know heads or tails to make of this movie before I saw it. Did it interest me since it came back in March? Yep. Did it look cool? Yep. Did it look interesting? Yep. So why haven't I seen this until now? Because I thought it was one of those movies that, while it interests you a whole lot, you can wait to see. That, and the fact that I've been so busy as of late doesn't help a lot either, haha. Soo, finally, I sat myself down and I watched it. Was it any good? Well, let's just say I regretted not seeing this sooner.

This film was absolutely great. The suspsense, the dramatic parts, and the feel of the journalistic part of it was a great great blend to have on one film. The acting by Jake Gyllenhal (Funny feeling I'm spelling that wrong, haha), Robert Downey, Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and the rest of the impressive cast is very good. The plot was really interesting, and, in this case, the major kudos goes to the director.

What did he do that was so special? Well, in this case, he was a bit of a genius. The directing, itself, was spot on. But that's not the major thing that makes this one director a genius: It's the pacing. Yes, you read right. The pacing is what really makes the movie work. How, you ask? Well, because the film itself is a little over 2 and a 1/2 hours long, in and of itself. The film takes place almost over 3 decades. Add on there's lots of segments with journalism and the press that makes everything boring and drag usually. This film? Not the case. It handles it eloquently, in good fashion, and while it does have those tons of journalism/press investigations scenes that might make people's nerves fire off, this does it in a GREAT fashion. How? By being straightforward, to the point, not wasting time on looking at pointless garbles of info that doesn't have any connection to the ongoing storyline. It gives the details of the larger mystery of the murders surronding the Zodiac case, while also looking at the bigger picture. With this advantage, the film zooms from place to place, date to date, and still keeps your interest and the suspense going. Like the famous phrase goes, the Devil is in the details.

Was this edge of your seat stuff? In some ways, yes. The journey for these characters, especially with Gyllenhall's character, intensifies more and more as the movie goes on, especially as he gets obssessed with it, and you get wrapped in the greater mystery of it all. At the end, you feel like you want to know even more info than what happened, as this is based off a true story that did happen and is still an unsolved crime. As you learn by the end of the film, the murderer has still not been caught, not even in present day. Also, there's just some pieces of humor along the way that makes this even more relatable to everyday people and not just a reenactment of a period in history. Did it drag at times? A bit in the middle, when everyone starts to claim that the case is impossible and the leads are going nowhere, until it picks up again when Gylenhall's character shines again with his continuing obsession with the case. The ending is just a bit redundant as well, as it basically goes around the same exact details as before. However, the good definitely outweighs these minor issues. This just goes to show how the writing, editing, and directing all came together to make a great film.

All in all, I'm not surprised by some major critics already hailing this as a great Oscar candidate for this coming year. This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's one of the better original films of this year and it does definitely deserve to be seen.

Score: 4.5

t3techcom18

Original Poster
MR: The Bourne Ultimatium

MR: The Bourne Ultimatium

Before I begin, let me start off by saying that, 1) This is probably the shortest review on record of a sequel, and 2) I actually haven't seen the other two films of this franchise.

Sooo, why did you see the last one instead of the other two, you ask? I tried to watch the other two, and, as much as I loved the spy genre and wanted to see how these ones were, especially being based on the series of books (even though I've heard from several people that the movies are nothing like how it is in the books) and for the fact that I like giant conspiracy movies and TV shows and people who don't remember who they are. I like those types of films when done right. In all honesty, I put on the the first two films in the series when they were TNT. I saw the first 10 minutes...and I never got into them. Neither the first nor the second.

So why did I see the third without seeing the other two? Well, first, since I saw this was the end to the whole trilogy, I thought, well, the answers should be given in this one, plus I wanted to see if I could finally watch and see if it got any better. Thankfully, I can say, I did finish it! Was it any good? It was. It was a good old fashioned high octane thrill ride that blew my socks off (Phew, big description, haha). The action sequences were great, the exposition, even to a viewer who didn't see the other two, got everything to make sense as to how everything was and all the tiny details that were involved in the whole situation surronding Bourne. The feel and suspense of it was absolutely great, echoing an Alias-type vibe. The directing that reminded me a bit of BSG in the sense of how they used hand-held camera a lot of the time, and it added to an almost documentary feel to it, capturing each facial reaction and emotion going through everyone's minds. The music was pretty catchy, and again, added a bit of an Alias-vibe to it, which, in this case, means how the music heightened the tense and suspenseful feelings you had while watching it.

As much as I loved it in those respects though, there was two giant issues I found with it. Usually, I don't say this first reason to many films because I feel lots of times that if it's packed a lot into a short amount of time, it fulfills a duty of leaving you staisfied. This, on the other hand, doesn't. It was too short, and while the action sequences kept the pace going, there should've been more slow scenes in it, especially for Bourne and his accomplice, played by Julia Stiles. However, the scenes that ARE there with Matt Damon and Julia Stiles just feel weird. Why? Cause they're just staring at each other and only say like 3 words. That was just plain weird. Also, while this is the third film in a trilogy, it felt like action was given a front seat to the information Bourne has been searching through all this time, and when we got to it, it felt like it was literally just a sentence. I was like...a sentence? For a whole 3 movies? Then, at the ending, we really do find out what's going on, and it almost feels like a slap in the face. It's like, HA! We made you see three movies and turns out it was this ending! Even though I have a feeling most of the other info was filled in with the other two movies, I just had a major problem with that ending. I truly wonder if any of the fans got angry at how it was all resolved.

All in all, it's great high octane adventure and deserves a look, BUT, it has the same weakness that X-Men: The Last Stand did: A great action movie by itself, but as an ending to a trilogy, it doesn't satisfy.

Score: 3.7

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom