Revenge of the Mummy vs TRON Lightcycle / Run

Which is the better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
n13_universal_orlando_revenge_of_the_mummy

FITP7527522775267526545211.jpg

KikoKea

Haven't ridden Tron, but we rode Mummy several times at the Dec Meetup and loved it. I just wish it was longer because it is cool and fun, made me scream, and is different. Tron appears to be a smooth, low thrill coaster.

DavidDL

If everything were working as intended, I'd give the win the Mummy. But on our most recent ride throughs a few weeks ago, it was in really bad shape. Timing was off on a ton of (barely working) show elements and we got caught in nearly every possible instance of awkward, motionless silence between scenes imaginable as the attraction waited for the zones in front of us to clear.

So sadly, I can't. It's like if someone asked me to compare Everest to another attraction. I just can't give Everest the praise I'd want to after having seen the Yeti work the way he used to all those years ago. Sad as it may be, I can't judge attractions as they were in their prime. It's gotta be how they are operating today.

JT3000

If everything were working as intended, I'd give the win the Mummy. But on our most recent ride throughs a few weeks ago, it was in really bad shape. Timing was off on a ton of (barely working) show elements and we got caught in nearly every possible instance of awkward, motionless silence between scenes imaginable as the attraction waited for the zones in front of us to clear.

So sadly, I can't. It's like if someone asked me to compare Everest to another attraction. I just can't give Everest the praise I'd want to after having seen the Yeti work the way he used to all those years ago. Sad as it may be, I can't judge attractions as they were in their prime. It's gotta be how they are operating today.
Except unlike Everest perpetually having its yeti in B-mode, Mummy doesn't operate like that all the time. Sounds like you caught it on a bad day.

DavidDL

Except unlike Everest perpetually having its yeti in B-mode, Mummy doesn't operate like that all the time. Sounds like you caught it on a bad day.

Maybe. But I like to use the first Imhotep animatronic as an example of the sad state the attraction is in this days. In it's prime, this figure moved much more fluidly, had better looking "flesh" coverings, turned his head to face the crew member whose soul he was absorbing, raised his arm and then the team member would emit a smoke effect from it's mouth as Imhotep "absorbed" the soul.

Revenge of the Mummy just came back from a refurbishment and now, he can't even be bothered to lift his arm or turn his head. There is no fog effect from the mummified crew member and both figures hardly moved at all. Additionally, the "scarab wall" screen effect clicked off on us entirely. Maybe it was just a bad day and I realize these examples are not as "extreme" as the Yeti situation but after having just been "refurbished", I really don't think Mummy has excusable show right now. All Mummy did was make me feel sad after our most recent rides. -and for all it's flaws, at least I got exactly what I was expecting/wanting from TRON. I walked away with a smile and having a better time than I did on Mummy, simple as that.

DavidDL

Here are two different video comparisons for anyone interested.

Imhotep 16+ years ago (1:55):

Imhotep 2 months ago (0:58):

They really should be taking better care of this attraction. It deserves it.

My95cobras

Rode it Saturday twice and the door to the sarcophagus didn’t open. There was just a poor lighting effect of a face projected onto it.

SplashJacket

Mummy is incredibly mediocre imho.

I go through a cycle where I’m disappointed every time I ride, until I hit rock bottom and then I’m actually extremely surprised where the coaster blew past my expectations.

This causes my expectations to rise again, followed by many disappointing rides. It’s a vicious cycle. Regardless, mummy is definitely farther from its best rides than it should be. I just don’t think it’s a very fun coaster.

Weather_Lady

Tron is a fun ride, but the fast part lasts all of one minute (not really worth it if you've had to wait 30 minutes or more), and nothing about the actual experience is designed to complete the "story" you're told in the preshow, which is that you're in a race against Team Orange (which never materializes or is represented anywhere on the ride itself).

The Mummy is cheesy and dated, but never takes itself too seriously (precisely the same tone as the original movie on which it is based), and tells a fun story, so it's hard not to just relax, let down your guard, and enjoy it.

Raidermatt

Tron maybe the worst non-kiddie coaster I have ever been on. The only thing it has going for it is the exhilarating launch. But they quickly squelch any excitement by immediately breaking the trains as soon as the launch is completed. The outside section is at least meh. The remainder is flat out boring. And I am not talking about a lack of intensity. I have been on less intense coasters that had at least 10x the fun. 7 Dwarves and Slinky Dog to name a couple. Don't get me wrong, those two have their issues. But compared to Tron? Masterpieces.

And then there's the uncomfortable seating.

So while Mummy to me is just so-so, it still wins this comparison by more than the width of the Nile.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

I'm not even a fan of The Mummy & I know Mummy clears Tron lmao

I think I'd love Mummy if it was longer, the length is the biggest reason I'm not too hot on it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom