Returned from our first visit to DLP

durangojim

Original Poster
Not going to bore people with a trip report. We stayed at the Newport Bay Club which I was expecting something like the YC. Let’s just say I’d rather have stayed at Pop. The CMs were unhelpful and rude even at times. The maids (I refuse to call them
Mousekeepers because they don’t deserve to be called that compared to the great folks at WDW) never smiled, said hello, or even offered to
Move out of the way if somewhat happened to be carrying their luggage down the hall. Garbage laying in the halls for more than 24 hours. Rooms were extremely dated (AC was weak, I know this is a French thing so I’m letting it pass).
Transportation from the train station via the intermittent busses was abysmal especially when carrying luggage.
Disney Village looks like it belongs at a Six Flags somewhere and is run down and extremely dated along with some ridiculous representation of American food and culture (Billy Bob’s buffet or whatever it’s called).
Walt Disney Studios did not feel like a disney park. The fact that you had to walk through an indoor food court before you got to any kind of attraction area was just plain weird and un-disney like.
The DL park itself had some cool things like
Adventure Isle, Pirates was great along with Big Thunder, the dragon under the castle and Phantom Manor. I liked the arcades that allowed us to bypass Main Street.
Walt’s restaurant was the absolute worst food we’ve had at any Disney park anywhere and the service was just as bad. The menu was a joke (apparently Walt loved everything on the menu, like chicken but only with one vegetable).
My son waited until the Remy Store opened at 9 so he could buy a Remy that sat on your shoulder since it was sold out the day before. I gave him a 100 euro bill because I didn’t know how much it would cost. At 9:02 he frantically texts me that they can’t take his money because they can’t make change and that they can’t hold it for him. Long story short I walk over there from being on the Snow White ride with my daughter and pay for the thing. This happened after the night before where we were told a cart that they only accepted cash for bottles of pop.
Highlight of the trip was the drone show which really confirms my thoughts that WDW needs a drone show at EPCOT.
Overall I’m glad we went but won’t be returning. It just didn’t feel like “Disney” to me. More like
Some company had paid to use the name. With as many problems WDW has I’m still glad we have that park and CMs and not DLP.

I’ve included some photos of examples of my complaints.

This sat in the hallway for over 24 hours:
IMG_4921.jpeg

Disney village rainforest cafe. Looks like something you’d see at a local
Mini golf which has been in need of repairs for the last 20 years.

IMG_4927.jpeg

AndyS2992

That's unfortunate, though most of your criticisms are being worked on. Disney Village is just starting a huge upgrade as is Walt Disney Studios park and the hotels are all getting refurbished one by one to update and modernise them.

Unfortunately Disneyland Paris is pretty much well known for awful over priced food, a shame being in France and all which supposedly is known for its fine dining and then rude CMs are nothing new sadly, again, this is France, I've found they have improved somewhat over the last few years at least.

405b5f0c-0a3f-453c-95a8-be3b2e5f64d9_text.gif

Last edited:

durangojim

Original Poster
That's unfortunate, though most of your criticisms are being worked on. Disney Village is just starting a huge upgrade as is Walt Disney Studios park and the hotels are all getting refurbished one by one to update and modernise them.

Unfortunately Disneyland Paris is pretty much well known for awful over priced food, a shame being in France and all which supposedly is known for its fine dining and then rude CMs in nothing new, again, this is France, I've found they have improved somewhat over the last few years at least.

405b5f0c-0a3f-453c-95a8-be3b2e5f64d9_text.gif
Funny thing is we spent 10 days in France and everyone else was absolutely lovely!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I’d disagree. We’ve had some lovely meals in the last 5 years.

Late 00s era was worse. It’s far better recently

I would agree with you. The first time we went was about 7-8 years ago and food was not good, but this time my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how much things had improved. We had prepared our traveling partners for terrible food but even they enjoyed the food. Many of the places we ate at in Paris and in our main meal in Normandy was much better than DLP but those meals were better than some of our favorite places to eat at home.

Sir_Cliff

Disneyland Paris is a particularly curious resort in that some people (including myself) seem to have mostly positive experiences and find it excelling over WDW in several ways, whereas other people seem to have an almost uniformly terrible experiences.

I'm not doubting at all the genuineness of people's personal experiences, I just find it so interesting, for example, how I've never had any experiences with rude CMs yet other visitors seem to find almost only rude CMs on their visits.

I think we can all agree that Disney Village and particularly that Rainforest Cafe area is an embarrassment, though!

cjkeating

Not going to bore people with a trip report. We stayed at the Newport Bay Club which I was expecting something like the YC. Let’s just say I’d rather have stayed at Pop. The CMs were unhelpful and rude even at times. The maids (I refuse to call them
Mousekeepers because they don’t deserve to be called that compared to the great folks at WDW) never smiled, said hello, or even offered to
Move out of the way if somewhat happened to be carrying their luggage down the hall. Garbage laying in the halls for more than 24 hours. Rooms were extremely dated (AC was weak, I know this is a French thing so I’m letting it pass).
Transportation from the train station via the intermittent busses was abysmal especially when carrying luggage.
Disney Village looks like it belongs at a Six Flags somewhere and is run down and extremely dated along with some ridiculous representation of American food and culture (Billy Bob’s buffet or whatever it’s called).
Walt Disney Studios did not feel like a disney park. The fact that you had to walk through an indoor food court before you got to any kind of attraction area was just plain weird and un-disney like.
The DL park itself had some cool things like
Adventure Isle, Pirates was great along with Big Thunder, the dragon under the castle and Phantom Manor. I liked the arcades that allowed us to bypass Main Street.
Walt’s restaurant was the absolute worst food we’ve had at any Disney park anywhere and the service was just as bad. The menu was a joke (apparently Walt loved everything on the menu, like chicken but only with one vegetable).
My son waited until the Remy Store opened at 9 so he could buy a Remy that sat on your shoulder since it was sold out the day before. I gave him a 100 euro bill because I didn’t know how much it would cost. At 9:02 he frantically texts me that they can’t take his money because they can’t make change and that they can’t hold it for him. Long story short I walk over there from being on the Snow White ride with my daughter and pay for the thing. This happened after the night before where we were told a cart that they only accepted cash for bottles of pop.
Highlight of the trip was the drone show which really confirms my thoughts that WDW needs a drone show at EPCOT.
Overall I’m glad we went but won’t be returning. It just didn’t feel like “Disney” to me. More like
Some company had paid to use the name. With as many problems WDW has I’m still glad we have that park and CMs and not DLP.

I’ve included some photos of examples of my complaints.

This sat in the hallway for over 24 hours:
View attachment 734828
Disney village rainforest cafe. Looks like something you’d see at a local
Mini golf which has been in need of repairs for the last 20 years.

View attachment 734831
If you had read this forum or asked a few questions beforehand we could have prepared you for many DLPisms compared to the US parks. Many of your points have some validity to them however personally I have rarely found a rude DLP cast member (no greater in proportion to at WDW) however I have had the occasional language or cultural barrier which in retrospect I always find part of the fun or being in a foreign country as a none native speaker. Also with Walt’s I’ve been lucky to tick off just about everything on the Walt’s Menu during the 30th and whilst not every dish has been to my taste I would rate everything I tried as good to excellent.

Jordan dby

Yep, I would say what is unique to dlp is the scenery, the space, the campus feel and the reduction in rides. For some people all these things are meh or positive and for some all are meh or negative. Cast members and food are mostly hit and some miss in all the US and European parks in my experience.

I've not done walts yet but I'm booked for next visit. It won't be a disaster if it's not great but I've set myself up to believe its the best food on site so I'm reassured by the last post!

I suspect the difference between good and bad ratings in most of the DLP restaurants is meal plan vs cash payers! If it felt i was paying a few hundred euro for my family I would probably expect more.

durangojim

Original Poster
If you had read this forum or asked a few questions beforehand we could have prepared you for many DLPisms compared to the US parks. Many of your points have some validity to them however personally I have rarely found a rude DLP cast member (no greater in proportion to at WDW) however I have had the occasional language or cultural barrier which in retrospect I always find part of the fun or being in a foreign country as a none native speaker. Also with Walt’s I’ve been lucky to tick off just about everything on the Walt’s Menu during the 30th and whilst not every dish has been to my taste I would rate everything I tried as good to excellent.
I read the forums and tried to go in with an open mind. We were in Europe and the UK for nearly a month and while we’re glad that we went to DLP, we have no desire to return it it was actually the only disappointment (while only being a small one) of our vacation. We have been going to WDW 2-5 times per year for the past 18 years and primarily stay at deluxe resorts or DVCs so maybe my expectations were too high. DLP just didn’t feel like “Disney” to any of us because of what we’re used to at WDW and DLR. I don’t begrudge anyone who enjoys or loves the parks there, nor am I saying that DLP is bad or that people shouldn’t go. Just for us it did not have enough of what we enjoy at Disney (that Disney bubble along with convenience and even luxury) for us to want to return. Especially when there are so many wonderful and unique things to experience in France and Europe!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom