Retiring to WDW

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
In for future info. I have a dream of eventually going into semi-retirement in FL and getting a job piloting a resort launch.

It seems like it's turning into mostly younger kids these days, I don't use them often so I'm probably wrong here but every one I've been on lately has been run by someone college age or barely over.

BuddyThomas

I mean....I get it....but please remember that you're going to be getting paid a very low wage to either slave in the insanely humid heat or (if you're "lucky") work in an air-conditioned area doing the same thing over and over and over again. I almost go insane hearing "please step out to your right" while I am waiting on lines. Imagine if you handle the stepping out to the right for an 8 hour day. It's a very cool idea to "retire to Disney", but in reality, I have a feeling it is more nightmare than happily ever after.

Otterhead

It's a very cool idea to "retire to Disney", but in reality, I have a feeling it is more nightmare than happily ever after.
A friend of mine's dad was a very successful doctor from the Philippines, and when he retired, moved down to Orlando to work in a shop on Main Street. He most definitely didn't need the money, but just enjoyed being at the Magic Kingdom all day, and the weather down there reminded him of home.

The heat (and mostly the sub-tropical humidity) would destroy me, but I doubt I'd get bored too quickly of being a CM on a ride.

Retroman40

As a person described by the OP (retired working at Disney) there is so much to take into account if you want to "retire to work at Disney". First you have to want to live in central FL. Yes, it's a tourist area but get away from the tourist spots and it's just like they don't exist. It's not for everyone. The heat/humidity can be brutal late summer. I decided a long time ago I preferred staggering heat and humidity to ice and snow. Secondly you have to be capable both physically and mentally to be a CM. Some CM's like attraction hosts spend an awful lot of time on their feet (attraction hosts rotate positions frequently so boredom isn't an issue). The physical requirements depends on what you want to do. Just as important is the mental aspect; you must be able to "let it go" when dealing with less than magical guests and even be able to turn them around. Fortunately you meet literally hundreds if not thousands of great people for every less than magical guest you encounter. Like any job, it's the people that make or break it. I am fortunate that I have both good leadership and good people around me.

aw14

This interests me, as well. My wife and I both plan to retire at 55. At that point, our only child will be finished with college. We have talked on and off about moving there and working part-time for the mouse.
same exact plan in our house. I can retire at 50- and the plan is to move down and drive the monorail. My DW wants to work at the confectionary. @awheartsdw

jloucks

I knew an air force pilot that retired to Orlando and got a part time job driving the monorail. Soon after he started, management changed him from part time to full time and made his life miserable. What he considered to be his dream job became horrible and he quit soon after. Any job is only as good as the manager that you're reporting to.
This is an underrated post.

You are playing with fire if you are basing any part of your retirement plan on working for a company that pays so little and values their employees accordingly.

jloucks

A friend of mine's dad was a very successful doctor from the Philippines, and when he retired, moved down to Orlando to work in a shop on Main Street. He most definitely didn't need the money, but just enjoyed being at the Magic Kingdom all day, and the weather down there reminded him of home.

The heat (and mostly the sub-tropical humidity) would destroy me, but I doubt I'd get bored too quickly of being a CM on a ride.

If you know what you are getting into, than you will be successful. The thing is, working retail is a far different thing than shopping retail. Working retail, or any low pay customer service job, requires great humility. Otherwise, it will be humiliating. Add to that the physical toll of standing all day, often in the heat, and you make it a challenge for many/most older people.

jloucks

Very true. I worked retail at Kmart for several years; it wasn't much fun. But I always say that however lousy the job is, the best way to rise above it is to do the best job you can at it.
That also tends to keep you under the radar, or at least on the good side of labor enforcers.

rob0519

If you know what you are getting into, than you will be successful. The thing is, working retail is a far different thing than shopping retail. Working retail, or any low pay customer service job, requires great humility. Otherwise, it will be humiliating. Add to that the physical toll of standing all day, often in the heat, and you make it a challenge for many/most older people.

One of the few jobs I would consider in retirement at Disney would be the Greeter at the Grand Floridian. As long as I could deal with the heat most days, I think that might be ok.

bethymouse

I live 1 1/2 hours away now, and that's good enough for me. We just moved here 5 months ago! There are some back roads that lead to WDW. There are many homes being built there ( 5-10 minutes away) that are reasonable. Most people buying those homes though are using them as "vacation" homes and/or renting them out, so be careful of that too!:in pain: Do your research on Florida though. It is a culture shock. I like living here, but we're fighting ants and other bugs ( huge roaches) plus the drought in Central Florida is very bad!:( We haven't even suffered through the rainy season/hurricanes, and the heat & humidity of the summer ( I'm actually working a summer camp, but I am a bit younger than retirement age:D). I often thought about working at Disney too. I met a CM that was a former teacher ( I am currently teaching). She was working as an activity director for the kids at Boardwalk Resort ( she was roasting the marshmallows). She loves her job! It does all depend on what job you believe you are able to do. Good luck!;)

disneygeek90

I live 1 1/2 hours away now, and that's good enough for me. We just moved here 5 months ago! There are some back roads that lead to WDW. There are many homes being built there ( 5-10 minutes away) that are reasonable. Most people buying those homes though are using them as "vacation" homes and/or renting them out, so be careful of that too!:in pain: Do your research on Florida though. It is a culture shock. I like living here, but we're fighting ants and other bugs ( huge roaches) plus the drought in Central Florida is very bad!:( We haven't even suffered through the rainy season/hurricanes, and the heat & humidity of the summer ( I'm actually working a summer camp, but I am a bit younger than retirement age:D). I often thought about working at Disney too. I met a CM that was a former teacher ( I am currently teaching). She was working as an activity director for the kids at Boardwalk Resort ( she was roasting the marshmallows). She loves her job! It does all depend on what job you believe you are able to do. Good luck!;)
Where did you move from? I moved in the middle of high school from Ohio back in 2006. I’ve bounced around a few different cities (Gainesville, Jax, and Ft Myers) throughout HS and colleges until I recently landed in Orlando last summer. I'm about a mile and a half from Sea World. You’ll get used to the heat, and learn to absolutely love the winter. The summer rain is a welcome addition after the drought we go through almost every year in the winter, too.

I can’t say I miss the snow and ice, either!

aw14

Very true it also depends on the career you are retiring from. I am in education (high school administrator) and the "monotony" of Disney is welcome. With new state laws, my job is 7 days a week. I can handle the heat to work the monorail, boat, or CM at Haunted Mansion. My DD says I can play the creepy CM at the entrance door. ;)

bethymouse

Where did you move from? I moved in the middle of high school from Ohio back in 2006. I’ve bounced around a few different cities (Gainesville, Jax, and Ft Myers) throughout HS and colleges until I recently landed in Orlando last summer. I'm about a mile and a half from Sea World. You’ll get used to the heat, and learn to absolutely love the winter. The summer rain is a welcome addition after the drought we go through almost every year in the winter, too.

I can’t say I miss the snow and ice, either!
We moved from West Virginia ( eastern panhandle 1 hour or so from both Baltimore and Washington, DC).:D

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do your research on Florida though. It is a culture shock. I like living here, but we're fighting ants and other bugs ( huge roaches) plus the drought in Central Florida is very bad!:( We haven't even suffered through the rainy season/hurricanes, and the heat & humidity of the summer ( I'm actually working a summer camp, but I am a bit younger than retirement age:D).
Auto and home insurance are insanely expensive in Central Florida, gas and food are above the national average, and because there are so many people willing to work for low wages, wages are low and don't rise very often. The high number of retirees living there means schools can't get tax increases approved when needed, so the schools basically suck. Only about 1 in 5 people you meet in Florida are natives, so you find the other 80% have no sense of pride in the state. In the eight or so years I lived there, I was disappointed by a lack of community spirit. I-4 is a deathtrap due to its design (flat with elevated interchanges that block visibility to the other side). Toll roads abound; if you don't use the toll roads, you'll be sitting in wall-to-wall traffic. Traffic lights are as plentiful as great, big palmetto bugs (flying roaches) and the state is being overrun by invasive species (pythons, green iguanas, lionfish, giant african snails, cuban tree frogs).

Add to that the occasional hurricane, wrath-of-God thunderstorms, semi-annual droughts, tourists, and the government's tendency to lay concrete or pave over every square inch of green space, and you may find that Florida is a nice place to visit... but you wouldn't want to live there.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Honestly this is probably my dream retirement...I remember talking with one of the Main St. Vehicle drivers one time...moved to Florida and got that job with Disney as a retiree...He loved it...said he got to drive around and talk with people from all over the world who were fulfilling their dream vacations.

On a side note he was one of the better cast members I have ever interacted with and that is saying quite a bit sine there have been some good ones!

Tony the Tigger

Auto and home insurance are insanely expensive in Central Florida,

Compared to where? I moved down to South Florida from NJ and it's insanely cheap down here compared to up there - plus no car inspections and no state income tax. (Thanks, WDW!)

It's even cheaper in parts of central Florida. Had car insurance in Melbourne for a little while and it was a bargain.

Lived here 20 years now and never need to see snow again.

Bottom line to folks thinking about retiring here: as with most things in life, if you want to make it work, you will make it work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom