Retiring and dealing with your Disney addiction

When you retire, do you still plan to visit the World?

• I doubt if I'll ever go again.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • If I'm lucky, I'll get one last visit in before I stop.

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Maybe I'll go once every few years

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • I figure I can still do one trip a year.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • I plan on going at least twice a year.

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I'm moving to Florida so I can go whenever I want.

Votes: 19 20.2%

• Total voters

JIMINYCR

We will start going multiple times a year. I want to hit all the festivals, events and holidays I’ve always desired to go to but were unable to make work due to work restraints. To have the freedom to go whenever we see it work out will be very enjoyable. So many things will be on our bucket list. And it will be time to go for more extended times so there will be no time restraints and worry about not fitting in all we want to do.

Goofyernmost

I suspect it is more about the BS of Disney than the money. Over the years I didn't see my income drop so that I was forced to make cutbacks, but the fact that Disney has only become more crowded and more of a pain to enjoy has made me cut back. If they cut the prices in half I wouldn't go more often, I know that going with the crowds, poor service, walmart level merch, and garbage food has just made it 1 step above a state fair. Even my kids have pushed more for Universal than Disney. Disney has lost it and I see no signs of it turning around.
Financial concerns are a two way street. If you consider the fact that none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, spending money on worthwhile things might be worth taking the risk. However, all of our stories are different. The end of my working years corresponded with some major downturns in monetary supply making retirement a thing that might be called on a shoestring. I'm not broke and am living comfortably but I have reached almost 75 and at best am looking at no more then another 15 years of my own financial income. Anytime after that will be, hopefully, taken care of by my social security if the greedy haven't made it go away. Going to your thoughts, yes that is correct. If I felt that I could act like I always did and could easily just go to a park with no hoops to jump through and I felt that I am getting my money's worth, I would probably do it anyway, but when I say they priced me out, it means that I no longer feel that taking the chance is worth it.
We still hope to travel. Just to places worth the asking price with better value for what we will be able to afford.
If anyone wants to know the severity of how the new Disney has affected people, Martin spent a huge part of his life researching, compiling information and putting together some of the best Disney video's ever created. He didn't do that because there was a whole long of riches coming his way. as far as I know. He lived, slept and dreamed about Disney parks, especially WDW. If you read that he has decided that Disney no longer gives you your money's worth, you should believe it. When it comes to being a fan, none of us can even come close to his former dedication.
I am on my way down the same road. We started cruising in 2016 and stopped going to the parks for a few years. When you're swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman, you wonder why anyone would stand in line for 7DMT. Let alone the food.

But costs increases at the parks are nothing compared to what happened at sea. In several cases/itineraries the costs doubled in 6 years. I think it's that change over time that really upsets me the most. Which always amazes me when you see the number of older people on the ships - someone must have done well earlier in life.
That last line is more likely consists of a couple. After the kids have grown, the house is paid for and both are relatively healthy there is plenty of cash left over that can be used in a way to benefit both. After I retired my sister and I combined money's and after 18 days touring France, Italy and Spain we were able to take a 10 day Mediterranean / trans-Atlantic cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. Both of us were able to do that because we shared the cost. You don't see to many single men or women on the cruises by themselves. But, as you say there are a lot of new things to do that don't involve standing in lines or begging for an ATR or getting to go to a simple theme park without giving up your first born. I spend many hours, these days, remembering the fun and excitement of all 48 of my WDW trips over the years and I do miss it, but I know now that I can never make that magic happen again because they have made it to complex and frustrating for me to enjoy.

Last edited:

Cajun

I have two years to retirement. I hope to tag along with my kids and grandkids every few years. I do share alot of the same concerns that people here have stated. My wife doesn't enjoy going anymore because of the crowds. I'm still hoping that Disney will get thier act together soon, but I will probably still go either way. To many good memories!

GimpYancIent

I am retired and have been for a while. There are many things to do, be involved in and work at after, so called, retirement. I see retirement as just a word. Disney management has diligently worked at pushing "You Are The Magic", well OK! then. A person can be magical anywhere then. The options out there are extensive limited only by personal desire and choices. Sure, Disney is always an option on the table, but live, savor, enjoy, see, do, travel and experience the other options out there. Lots of fantastic Disney memories now making other fresh fantastic memories at other locations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
there's a lot that goes into that. Number one as an older adult I don't have child care cost nor a mortgage anymore, while the stock market sucked last year, it was on fire for a good 8 years prior and depending on where you worked many of the over 65 still get pensions.
Stay tuned on that one…

But they’re the last…and ironically the booms will start to disappear significantly and rapidly accelerate over the next 5 years…so in 10, few will use that word. We’ll have to declare it extinct.

Chi84

Premium Member
We will start going multiple times a year. I want to hit all the festivals, events and holidays I’ve always desired to go to but were unable to make work due to work restraints. To have the freedom to go whenever we see it work out will be very enjoyable. So many things will be on our bucket list. And it will be time to go for more extended times so there will be no time restraints and worry about not fitting in all we want to do.
It’s really nice not to have to worry about when to take off from work. Hitting all the festivals sounds like a good plan.

The first few years after retirement we started taking 3 trips to WDW but now that we’re also traveling to see our kids we’re back down to 2.

The first year after retirement was the first time we saw WDW decorated for Christmas, which was great.

It does help that we’re long-time DVC members.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
As someone working on their 2nd retirement, I don't see a status quo option available. We've never been a "keeping up with the Jones" family so we'll be fine. I dont see actually moving to Florida given the home insurance situation, but maybe to a closer location since my family's clustered around the Savannah area (further inland).

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just us.... 270 point DVC contract transferred to my eldest son (I warned him but he wanted it....).
30 Point contract sold.
If we EVER go back to WDW? CASH - and staying at the Swan, or Dolphin. Parks are a wreck, Airlines are a wreck... staying home, and investing that $12K per year WDW cash into something better... our home :).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait…you don’t already?

the_rich

I can retire in 5 years at 43 with what I think is a really good pension. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do but I'm going to want some type of employment. I've recently thought about seasonal work at wdw then back to nyc. But traveling is one of my favorite things and I see disney as always being a part of that.

eliza61nyc

Just us.... 270 point DVC contract transferred to my eldest son (I warned him but he wanted it....).
30 Point contract sold.
If we EVER go back to WDW? CASH - and staying at the Swan, or Dolphin. Parks are a wreck, Airlines are a wreck... staying home, and investing that $12K per year WDW cash into something better... our home :).
you know I never understood the airline bashing. lol I mean considering around 300 million people flew in the US last year safely statistically they're not doing so bad (lol public service announcement from my American Airline employee inlaw)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
you know I never understood the airline bashing. lol I mean considering around 300 million people flew in the US last year safely statistically they're not doing so bad (lol public service announcement from my American Airline employee inlaw)

I do. Has nothing to do with safety

Gotta get to the airport 2 hours before the flight.

Stand in a FoP line to get your bags checked.

Then get into a RotR line to make it through the checkpoint - all while hoping you don’t get “special” assistance.

Then wait in a ToT line to grab a cup of coffee.

Get notified of “cattle call” and hope that your zone isn’t #5.

While in “cattle call” start worrying that there’ll be room for your carry on in one of the bins.

And hope that the individual seated next to you does not snore, doesn’t encroach on your space, and has recently bathed.

Let’s say you’ve made that far.

Now:

Let’s hope the Pilot isn’t drunk, or going through a nasty divorce.

That there’s no turbulence on your flight.

And that the flight attendant isn’t on a power trip.

As you squeeze to get out of your seat upon arrival, you pray that someone doesn’t reach across and open an overhead bin directly above you.

As you slowly shuffle your way out of the plane you begin to think of the odds that your luggage actually made the same flight you did.

Then as you depart the plane, you thank the captain and crew for the experience.

……..and that’s if you don’t have a connecting flight.

GimpYancIent

Then get into a RotR line to make it through the checkpoint - all while hoping you don’t get “special” assistance.

While in “cattle call” start worrying that there’ll be room for your carry on in one of the bins.

And hope that the individual seated next to you does not snore, doesn’t encroach on your space, and has recently bathed.

Now:

As you squeeze to get out of your seat upon arrival, you pray that someone doesn’t reach across and open an overhead bin directly above you.

As you slowly shuffle your way out of the plane you begin to think of the odds that your luggage actually made the same flight you did.

Then as you depart the plane, you thank the captain and crew for the experience.

The actual going up in the airplane, flying then landing is nothing. It's all the other experiences, rules, regulations and policies that make you feel like livestock rather than a passenger that are the issues.

eliza61nyc

Now:

wow, never had most of that.

I just got back from Iceland (jaw droppingly beautiful)
let's see, yes I did get to the airport 3 hours early (left out of Phl)
on line checked my bags so just dropped them off at the designated counter. 20 minutes tops, did have to print out luggage tags.
I have TSA precheck so got in the precheck line, informed the tsa agent that I have two fake knees with metal parts so I'm gonna beep. I beeped and got wanded. total time maybe 30 minutes. I also have global entry so nope, no more waiting in line at customs upon entering the country.

I don't fly discount airlines so nope no zones, usually in group 5 though. simply stay seated until zone 5 gets called. I checked my bag and my backpack fits under my seat.

Didn't ask the pilot if he was getting divorced ( got my own personal problems, not concern about a perfect strangers) but he did a superb job landing in Reykjavik especially since Iceland experiences crazy snow and wind storms in the winter.

I have long legs so I usually spring the few extra bucks for an exit door row or an end seat. so I guess I'm the jerk that opens the overhead door first. lol most of my seat mates have been truly pleasant, some may snore but lol every time I got up
to stretch or go to the bathroom, I noticed 99% of folks had earplugs stuck in their ears, doubt anyone would here snoring anyway.

in the last 12 months I've been to Iceland, paris, Greece and wdw. checked bags every time, got my bag every time.
Doing the Camino de Santiago trail in a few months I'll be checking a bag again

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
wow, never had most of that.

I just got back from Iceland (jaw droppingly beautiful)
let's see, yes I did get to the airport 3 hours early (left out of Phl)
on line checked my bags so just dropped them off at the designated counter. 20 minutes tops, did have to print out luggage tags.
I have TSA precheck so got in the precheck line, informed the tsa agent that I have two fake knees with metal parts so I'm gonna beep. I beeped and got wanded. total time maybe 30 minutes. I also have global entry so nope, no more waiting in line at customs upon entering the country.

I don't fly discount airlines so nope no zones, usually in group 5 though. simply stay seated until zone 5 gets called. I checked my bag and my backpack fits under my seat.

Didn't ask the pilot if he was getting divorced ( got my own personal problems, not concern about a perfect strangers) but he did a superb job landing in Reykjavik especially since Iceland experiences crazy snow and wind storms in the winter.

I have long legs so I usually spring the few extra bucks for an exit door row or an end seat. so I guess I'm the jerk that opens the overhead door first. lol most of my seat mates have been truly pleasant, some may snore but lol every time I got up
to stretch or go to the bathroom, I noticed 99% of folks had earplugs stuck in their ears, doubt anyone would here snoring anyway.

in the last 12 months I've been to Iceland, paris, Greece and wdw. checked bags every time, got my bag every time.
Doing the Camino de Santiago trail in a few months I'll be checking a bag again

International is worse. Ever had a connector in Lisboa? For a moment I thought they were going to bus me to Berlin. I flew business and it was still a terrible experience.

eliza61nyc

International is worse. Ever had a connector in Lisboa? For a moment I thought they were going to bus me to Berlin. I flew business and it was still a terrible experience.
wow sorry to hear that, ironically I spent 2 years in lisbon when I was first married. wonderful time. lol that was 35 years ago though. I'm pretty lucky especially going international in that PHL, newark and JFK are my nearest airports. rarely do I have to connect to get anywhere internationally. I did get stuck in Greece once when my flight was canceled but I have to say my bags were not lost and the airline put us up in a hotel. inconvenient yes, horrible? not really.

the meltdown with southwest was a catastrophe I will admit, luckily that doesn't happen often.

Goofyernmost

I have two years to retirement. I hope to tag along with my kids and grandkids every few years. I do share alot of the same concerns that people here have stated. My wife doesn't enjoy going anymore because of the crowds. I'm still hoping that Disney will get thier act together soon, but I will probably still go either way. To many good memories!
That is one of the reasons I don't really feel like going anymore. I have forty years of wonderful memories. Memories of my young family and two little girls along with my wife. Memories of going just with my wife. Memories of going with my children with their children (my grandkids). Even memories of almost a decade of going solo. All fond memories that I don't want messed up by going when I know I'm going to be upset that my WDW really, for the most part, no longer exists for me. I rather do some new things and make new memories instead of just trying to relive ones that can never be repeated. That's just the way I feel about it, others mileage may vary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom