Resorts and mousekeeping

Couldn't find a more recent thread, so I'm bumping this one from the summer. We stayed Dec 20 to Dec 30 and the mousekeeping we received was minimal. We typically had to request service to receive any. I was told at one point that sheets were changed only every eight days.

We coped fine and, given we were there during a very busy period, our experience may not have been typical of other times (including right now). But just a head's up that you may not, in fact, receive even the stated every other day towel, wastebasket emptying, and bathroom cleaning service without having to call and request it when you don't receive it.

Raxel7851

Couldn't find a more recent thread, so I'm bumping this one from the summer. We stayed Dec 20 to Dec 30 and the mousekeeping we received was minimal. We typically had to request service to receive any. I was told at one point that sheets were changed only every eight days.

We coped fine and, given we were there during a very busy period, our experience may not have been typical of other times (including right now). But just a head's up that you may not, in fact, receive even the stated every other day towel, wastebasket emptying, and bathroom cleaning service without having to call and request it when you don't receive it.
We were at POFQ on the same dates (we checked out the 28th) and found basically the same thing. We declined housekeeping when we arrived. We did replace our towels on day 4 (we had 6 in the room), then we noticed housekeeping did come in on day 6, replaced towels and emptied the trash. We did empty our own trash up to that point. There was a trash can not 50’ from our room. It did seem like the resort was less that 50% capacity, maybe less. But the grounds were well kept, Food Court busy, all in all we had an excellent stay.

Dave B

I was under the impression there was no mousekeeping currently, we went to Disneyland in October and that was the case staying at their hotel

RoadiJeff

I stayed at a Comfort Inn close to Universal in October. I was there for a week and I think they put in fresh towels twice during that time and not much else. I didn't mind because back home I don't change the sheets on my bed every day and I use the same towel for several weeks before it goes into the laundry bin. The really good part of all this is I didn't have to leave a daily gratuity for maid service since they were not coming in every day. No show, no tip.

Lilofan

I stayed at a Comfort Inn close to Universal in October. I was there for a week and I think they put in fresh towels twice during that time and not much else. I didn't mind because back home I don't change the sheets on my bed every day and I use the same towel for several weeks before it goes into the laundry bin. The really good part of all this is I didn't have to leave a daily gratuity for maid service since they were not coming in every day. No show, no tip.
I like Comfort, Days, Hampton, Home2Suites for a nice perk - free buffet breakfast , not many items but we eat our share and pack goodies for the room and or snacks during the day.

RoadiJeff

I like Comfort, Days, Hampton, Home2Suites for a nice perk - free buffet breakfast , not many items but we eat our share and pack goodies for the room and or snacks during the day.
I also liked their buffet breakfast. That, plus there was no surcharge for daily parking, under $4/day resort fee and free shuttles to Universal. It took me a while to find all that at a hotel so close to any major theme park.

Diamond Dot

As I haven't done mouse keeping for a few trips, taking the giftcard option, it does not bother me. I hang my towels up and request fresh ones every couple of days. I don't generate lots of trash and I would leave it outside my door to be taken, no biggie. Being just me does help mind you. However, I hope they stop those flipping room checks, from a security point of view I didn't like them, especially as there was no consistency in what the CM did, some just popped their head round the door and were happy, others would come in for a good nose around including going into the bathroom and flush the toilet 😕

tpoly88

Yes, obviously it will come back.

The pandemic isn't really the direct issue anymore. That was the original cause, but now it's primarily a staffing problem. They're offering signing bonuses but they won't be able to fully staff until immigration starts flowing again.
It’s all staffing right now. Can’t get the exchange people from Europe and other areas that work at Disney. They just don’t have the help to clean the rooms. And room price is based on what people want to pay. Florida is smoking right now because it’s the one place with great weather that is fully open.

NelleBelle

When we stayed at YC back in April '21, we had our towels refreshed every other day and tons of shampoo/conditioner, etc left, no bed made (which we knew wouldn't happen). Didn't bother us a bit. I will share that when DH and I visited Charleston in Oct. and stayed at a fairly higher hotel, we did receive daily housekeeping and turndown service daily. I think it just depends on where you stay. I would just adjust your expectations for where you're staying. Honestly, it was a surprise when we were in Charleston to receive the service we did (especially having stayed at a place in Columbia, SC that never appeared to have cleaned the room when we checked in and had you throw your nasty towels in the hall 🤢). As long as I know what to expect, even with prices increased, it's something we've adjusted our attitude to and appreciate the little things we do get.

Lilofan

It’s all staffing right now. Can’t get the exchange people from Europe and other areas that work at Disney. They just don’t have the help to clean the rooms. And room price is based on what people want to pay. Florida is smoking right now because it’s the one place with great weather that is fully open.
FL may be open but one letdown is driving on I-95 to FL going through NC, SC, GA. Good luck trying to find a place to eat inside off the interstate . Many places due to the pandemic and lack of staffing have closed their dining rooms, drive thru only to get food and drink and some only serving a limited menu.

Thought I would throw my 2 cents into this discussion. We stayed for a month in the Orlando area from early December to early January. During this time, we stayed in 5 different hotels; a Hyatt Regency, Holiday Inn near Universal, Pop Century, Coronado Springs and Endless Summer at Universal. Despite the earlier protestations from other posters that housekeeping at most hotels is still not that commonly available, the only hotels we didn't have full housekeeping at were the Disney hotels. It was pretty noticeable. Other chains are clearly working through their staffing issues (paying more $$$) and are seemingly no longer relying on the pandemic to justify the lack of housekeeping.

FWIW, the housekeeping at Pop Century was described as "light"; it was basically non-existent. It was slightly better at Coronado Springs; they at least emptied the trash without having to request it.

John park hopper

Mouse keeping reduction started with if you opted out Disney would give you a gift card, Disney was testing the water to see if they could get away with less. The the pandemic hit, great excuse to use for reduced house keeping and do away with the gift card. Disney was correct people will settle for less and still come and Disney increase their profits.

RoadiJeff

No housekeeping saves me $5 per day when they do not enter my room to collect the $5 I leave on the bathroom counter. I don't mind it at all.

CatesMom

When we stayed at YC back in April '21, we had our towels refreshed every other day and tons of shampoo/conditioner, etc left, no bed made (which we knew wouldn't happen). Didn't bother us a bit. I will share that when DH and I visited Charleston in Oct. and stayed at a fairly higher hotel, we did receive daily housekeeping and turndown service daily. I think it just depends on where you stay. I would just adjust your expectations for where you're staying. Honestly, it was a surprise when we were in Charleston to receive the service we did (especially having stayed at a place in Columbia, SC that never appeared to have cleaned the room when we checked in and had you throw your nasty towels in the hall 🤢). As long as I know what to expect, even with prices increased, it's something we've adjusted our attitude to and appreciate the little things we do get.
Full housekeeping and turndown service at my business district hotel in Miami last month, too.

Ayla

You use the same towel for several WEEKS before you wash it?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom