Resort To Park Gates: Bus vs Car

thomas998

Not really. You don't plan for the 5% chance you need to get back immediately. You plan for the most likely scenario. Besides, we've discussed that having a car doesn't guarantee you "the quickest" way back to the room. That depends on where you got to park, traffic, the tram, crowds, etc.

If you want to get back as fast as possible, walking out to an area you can take Uber or a Taxi would be your best bet for a once in awhile scenario.

Overall, the bus still has tremendous benefits and really is no slower than driving yourself, due to the factors mentioned. Either method can he faster depending on circumstances, so why bother yourself with car that is more hassle and expense?

A bus is only going to be faster on some rare occasions when the stars line up perfectly such that you have zero time spent waiting for the bus to arrive or depart and the bus makes zero stops between your entry point and the drop off.

I know for a fact that if you are measuring time by the simple drive time I always beat the buses because I don't drive the speed limit and unless there is a school zone never will.

Goofyernmost

A bus is only going to be faster on some rare occasions when the stars line up perfectly such that you have zero time spent waiting for the bus to arrive or depart and the bus makes zero stops between your entry point and the drop off.

I know for a fact that if you are measuring time by the simple drive time I always beat the buses because I don't drive the speed limit and unless there is a school zone never will.
It works even when you go the speed limit. The very reason why no one ever wants to get behind a bus and will risk life and limb to cut out in front of them is because, by nature of their size, they are slower then an automobile. Bet you do that too!

Cliff Racer

We (all or almost all adults and staying on property) almost always do buses/other transport. Is it slower? Often, but I view the many transport opportunities as being part of the fun of going to WDW. Not to mention the interconnected nature of all the parks and attractions means that the family can split up and do different things via park hopper if they so choose, or visit the various hotels and see their theming or hop over to EPCOT for lunch instead of eating in Magic Kingdom. The car gets use going to I-Drive and Uni but other than that it largely sits.

Captain Barbossa

Always have taken the bus. You don't have to go to your car unless you want to. Plus you don't have to pay to park either. If you have driven a long distance to get there its nice not having to drive to the parks and deal with the hassle of finding a space

acishere

I prefer taking the bus for MK and skipping the tram and ferry/monorail waits. I'll prefer the bus for Epcot also just because we tend to have a few drinks when we have dinner and try to not drive just to be safe. I preferred driving for AK and DHS despite having really good luck with the DHS buses. Disney Springs I'd use Uber after our last trip, but if the new bus lanes have improved things I'll give the bus another chance.

That being said, I tend to just not rent a car if I'm staying on property. Also my Disney experiences are nowhere near my worst experiences when it comes to public buses.

osueddy

We always thought the buses were great, never got in our car once on a vacation. However, a few years ago we started driving to the parks and now love it. We drive to every park except Magic Kingdom. We are always at the parks for rope drop, therefore we always have a great parking spot that is close. It is also nice to leave at the end of the day and walk right to your car and sit down without waiting for an overcrowded bus (we go in June). We have little kids and find it easier and not as stressful to go back to our car after a long day, calmly fold up our stroller, and best of all, we are all guaranteed a seat.

Variable

We always thought the buses were great, never got in our car once on a vacation. However, a few years ago we started driving to the parks and now love it. We drive to every park except Magic Kingdom. We are always at the parks for rope drop, therefore we always have a great parking spot that is close. It is also nice to leave at the end of the day and walk right to your car and sit down without waiting for an overcrowded bus (we go in June). We have little kids and find it easier and not as stressful to go back to our car after a long day, calmly fold up our stroller, and best of all, we are all guaranteed a seat.

Welcome to,the light! ;):)

(and before anyone gets their nose out of joint, while I prefer to drive I have stated that the bus can be quite viable in some situations)

Raineman

Original Poster
I think the main reason that my family and I use the buses exclusively, especially early in our visit, has alot to do with the 21 hour drive that is required from our home here in Canada to WDW. After spending that much time in the car, it is quite a relief to not have to get back into that car until it's time for the long trek back home (our last trip was longer than it should have been, as we got caught in a mess of a detour due to a rockslide on I-75 in Tennessee, making a 10 minute stretch of the highway turn into 4 1/2 hours.) If we were flying into Orlando and renting a car, I would probly have no problem driving to the parks.

jloucks

I think the main reason that my family and I use the buses exclusively, especially early in our visit, has alot to do with the 21 hour drive that is required from our home here in Canada to WDW. After spending that much time in the car, it is quite a relief to not have to get back into that car until it's time for the long trek back home (our last trip was longer than it should have been, as we got caught in a mess of a detour due to a rockslide on I-75 in Tennessee, making a 10 minute stretch of the highway turn into 4 1/2 hours.) If we were flying into Orlando and renting a car, I would probly have no problem driving to the parks.
I'm with you. I drive 10 hours a week, every week, every month, every year. The last thing I want to do on vacation is hop in a car if there is a reasonable similar alternative. Buses are definitely a close enough alternative that I'm sold! In the rare incident that I'm in a semi-emergency, there are tons of taxis all over the place. My trip in November I am treating myself/family to 1-2 taxi rides back to the hotel after park close. ...but only if there are long lines at the bus stop.

But people that seldom drive, or can't get enough of it, maybe busses are less attractive. They are similar options after all.

Variable

I'm with you. I drive 10 hours a week, every week, every month, every year. The last thing I want to do on vacation is hop in a car if there is a reasonable similar alternative. Buses are definitely a close enough alternative that I'm sold! In the rare incident that I'm in a semi-emergency, there are tons of taxis all over the place. My trip in November I am treating myself/family to 1-2 taxi rides back to the hotel after park close. ...but only if there are long lines at the bus stop.

But people that seldom drive, or can't get enough of it, maybe busses are less attractive. They are similar options after all.

You guys just can't resist these wild as_ generalizations can you? lol

"people who seldom drive" "can't get enough of it"

10 hours a week? To me, that's "seldom" and on the border of "barely"

Give your reasons, that's great - but quit miss-characterizing others who disagree.

steviej

when my wife and I started dating, we spent our first NYE together in WDW with her folks. My parents rented a car every single trip from when I was a little kid. So I'm used to it.

They've always used WDW transportation. I begged them to rent a car, they said no, even when I offered to pay for it.

I timed how long we waited for buses over the span of what I believe was an 8 day trip, 3 1/2 hours!

The next trip, I was finally able to get them to agree to a car rental. Now, they can't imagine doing WDW without a car

Innkeeper's Club

Since I stay at the Boardwalk Inn it gives me the options of walking or taking the boats to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, so that's a no brainer.

Going to the Magic Kingdom I always take the Disney Buses because it's so much easier than parking at the TTC, getting on the tram and who knows when there will be Monorail closures. For example last December we wanted to visit the Grand Floridian during the afternoon, however we had to park at the TTC. It turns out on that specific day the Express Monorail to the Magic Kingdom was not opening until 6:30 PM. While we did not need to use that specific one everyone else going to the Magic Kingdom had to either take the Resort Monorail which means it got even more crowded with it stopping at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian or taking the Boat which takes a lot longer.

The only park we drive to is the Animal Kingdom because the Boardwalk shares stops with the Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin. So with five resorts on one bus route is not worth the longer wait.

jloucks

You guys just can't resist these wild as_ generalizations can you? lol

"people who seldom drive" "can't get enough of it"

10 hours a week? To me, that's "seldom" and on the border of "barely"

Give your reasons, that's great - but quit miss-characterizing others who disagree.

What? Seriously? The word "or" (that you left out of your quote) is very meaningful in my statement. It makes optional or true the statement that follows it. I don't know why you quoted "barely". I never defined seldom for others.

It is a fact, if you're weary of driving, you have viable options. If you are not weary of driving ("can't get enough of it") you certainly can drive. How is that a generalization? it is a fact.

Can't get enough = like driving
Like driving = drive
Not like driving = bus

Variable

What? Seriously? The word "or" (that you left out of your quote) is very meaningful in my statement. It makes optional or true the statement that follows it. I don't know why you quoted "barely". I never defined seldom for others.

It is a fact, if you're weary of driving, you have viable options. If you are not weary of driving ("can't get enough of it") you certainly can drive. How is that a generalization? it is a fact.

Like driving = drive
Not like driving = bus

lol, uh huh

jloucks

lol, uh huh
wtf1.gif

Raineman

Original Poster

Like driving = drive
Not like driving = bus
You gotta love it when you voice an opinion or a fact on here-not a "generalization"-and someone jumps all over you. I'm with you-10 hours of driving a week, which is what I spend myself driving to and from work-is more than the average person spends on the road, and would make most people weary of driving any more than they have to. But hey, who are you and I to argue with someone that's been on this board for a whole 2 weeks? :banghead:

Goofyernmost

You gotta love it when you voice an opinion or a fact on here-not a "generalization"-and someone jumps all over you. I'm with you-10 hours of driving a week, which is what I spend myself driving to and from work-is more than the average person spends on the road, and would make most people weary of driving any more than they have to. But hey, who are you and I to argue with someone that's been on this board for a whole 2 weeks? :banghead:
I suppose it depends on the person. I drove a municipal bus for a number of years, 40 hours plus per week and never got tired of it. Others do, but, I think that to them driving was a job, where I loved to drive. When I was younger you could not put enough road between me and my destination. The trip was always more fun then the actual arrival. There is the control factor as well. Some of us (well, at least me) feel much more relaxed when I am in charge of movement on or off vacation. I still am in spite of being retired. Put simply, I don't trust others to make the right moves when on the highway. Foolish? Sure, but I am what I am.

Cowboy Steve

The short answer: I (and my family), like the bus service, and it's convenience outweighs the drawbacks.

The long answer: I can remember on our trips prior to 2010 we always used to rent a car at MCO... and just leave it sit in the resort parking lot all week. There was a time when there was a charge for using the Magical Express bus service. I want to say it was something like $40 or $50 per person. For our (then) party of 5, that was $200 or $250. At that time I had a good friend that worked for a car rental company, so we used his family discount and could rent a nice midsized car for the entire week for around $100. No brainer even with the cost of tolls, fuel, etc. Once on the property, the car would (usually) stay parked. We either didn't use a dining plan, or there wasn't one offered. So on our way in to the resort from MCO we would hit the Walmart (usually in Kissammee) for a cheap $3 styrofoam cooler and some basics for breakfast (cereal, donuts, milk, juice, etc). We would use the resort buses to the parks though.

Now skip forward to our recent trips. DME is included in most, if not all, packages that involve air travel. And even with a discount, I'd be hard pressed to rent a car for the week for $100 lol. So we have no real reason to rent a car. We don't have to deal with our luggage, and we get a nice relaxing ride to the resort. No hassle standing in line at the car rental counter then finding the car, no waiting on luggage, no dealing with traffic and tolls to the property, no fuel stops. I personally don't mind the resort bus service. In general our experiences have been routine and rarely bad. I have to agree with a previous poster - I like the 'down' time on the trip back to the resort at the end of a long day. Helps me shut down for a good night's rest. And I'm getting a little long in the tooth... so convenience is the order of the day when on vacation! So what if it takes and extra 10/15/20 mins over driving. We don't travel with any children, so that makes the decision a little easier lol.

If we lived close enough to warrant driving our own vehicle to Disney, it might be a different story. At least for visiting other resorts as that can be a pain by bus service. Thank goodness there is Uber now... lol! Can't wait to use Uber for our ADR at Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Villas. Will cut down our travel time for dinner about 2 hours!

Now for a commentary on Disney World's management team opting to include the DME with resort packages - I find this brilliant. Having worked in the amusement park industry, I can truly appreciate the impact of that decision. Here is why I think it was a brilliant move:

1. It keeps people on the property. This is the big one! Instead of shopping or dining off property, most people will opt to shop/eat at Disney and not hassle with a cab (though that attitude might change now with Uber). That alone offsets the cost of offering the DME for free (or at least removing the option for having to pay for it). With the Resort bus service, there really isn't a need for a vehicle of your own.
2. Reduced traffic on the property. As they add more and more resorts & vacation club properties, anything they can do to reduce traffic helps.
3. Reduced wear and tear on the infrastructure. Sure, not a reason by itself, but it does have an impact. I would conservatively guess it easily reduced road traffic on the property by 25%. How much better would the streets in your hometown fare if there was a 25% reduction in traffic? The cost of upkeep and repairs? The 2 times we stayed at POFQ, the parking lots were never 1/2 full. Yet the resort was at 80% capacity. 10 or so years ago the resort lots were full of rentals lol.

Just my thoughts. Hadn't rambled in a while, so felt the urge lol

Last edited:

Variable

lol yeah, my time here is sum total of my life experience. good on the quoting

I have no issue with your reasoning. The guy that followed you decided to characterize those of us that drive in what I considered negative way.

I perfectly understand why many of you don't want to drive. Bu then you have to go and insinuate why I and others do we "seldom drive" so its like a thrill for us or something lol Then I read that 10 hours a week this person considers a lot of driving. Ok. To ME that's seldom.

But you all go ahead. Kick back and take the bus! I've ridden the bus many times and the boat. Now, I prefer to drive.

Last edited:

Variable

I prefer taking the bus for MK and skipping the tram and ferry/monorail waits. I'll prefer the bus for Epcot also just because we tend to have a few drinks when we have dinner and try to not drive just to be safe. I preferred driving for AK and DHS despite having really good luck with the DHS buses. Disney Springs I'd use Uber after our last trip, but if the new bus lanes have improved things I'll give the bus another chance.

That being said, I tend to just not rent a car if I'm staying on property. Also my Disney experiences are nowhere near my worst experiences when it comes to public buses.

If you've got a fairly quick/mostly direct route to MK it can be very nice. If you're at the end of the run around around one of the resorts, or stopping at others along the way, it just sucks. Especially when you just want to get back to the room at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom