Resort key cards for food?

kbmb

Just curious...I know you can have your Disney resort key card be a charge card for shopping.....does this also include charging food?

Can I use it anywhere in the park to buy food?

Thanks!

DVCgirl49

As of last I went, yes you may use it to charge for any of the restaurants/shops/etc thruout WDW with the exception of the food carts and the Swan/Dolphin.

Upvote 0

crazygirley

The room keys will work like a credit card, if you wish. You give them a credit card number at the desk upon check-in, and they charge whatever you buy with the room key to that credit card. Children can even charge with the rooms keys. You can purchase food, too.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by ~Minnie*Mouse~
We always stay on grounds for this reason everything it billed on one bill. We buy food & souveniors. They do it incritements of $500.00 off your credit card.

Increments of $500.00????? Good LORD, that is a lot of $$$$$!!!!

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Originally posted by crazygirley
The room keys will work like a credit card, if you wish. You give them a credit card number at the desk upon check-in, and they charge whatever you buy with the room key to that credit card. Children can even charge with the rooms keys. You can purchase food, too.

Regarding the children charging issue. When you check in, they will ask you if everyone can charge or if you want only certain cards available for charging purposes. We've always let our kids charge and they've been pretty responsible about it. The first time my 9 yr old neice used the card the CM at a store on Main Street, I was standing behind her and the CM looked at me and I gave her a nod. My neice didn't see this. The CM rang up the purchase, made a big deal about verifying her signature and asked how to correctly pronouce her last name. Then she said, "Thank you very much Miss -----. Have a magical day." This CM made my neice's day. "Auntie Nancy, wasn't that cool how she talked to me?"

Upvote 0

Bagheera

You can use it at any location that allows you to use a credit card. That pretty much includes everything but ODV (outdoor vending) carts and strolling vendors.

Upvote 0

Barnie

$500 increments?

I don't understand. Surely they wouldn't charge your card $500 if you bought $400 worth of food and gifts. Can anyone clarify? It sound very convenient though.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

They only charge to your credit card what you charge. At some point on your trip if you've charged quite a bit on your room key, you might get a call from the hotel guest services about reaching the predetermined limit. For example, my brother bought a $500 picture from the Art of Disney store at DD around day 4 of our our trip and charged to the room key card. After doing this, the limit was maxed. We had 8 people we were buying food etc for. Guest Services called to say he had reached the predetermined limit. He then OK'd the charge being put through to his card. It's really a way to keep track of your spending. If you start haphazardly charging food and souvenirs to the room and not paying close attention to your receipts, the sticker shock when you get home can be huge.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Re: $500 increments?

Originally posted by Barnie
I don't understand. Surely they wouldn't charge your card $500 if you bought $400 worth of food and gifts. Can anyone clarify? It sound very convenient though.

No, they put $500 limits on charging. Once you hit that limit, they will do the same. They can authorize $500 on you card without actually charging to it. This the same as most stores do. An authorization reserves the $500, but if it is never used, it will be released from your card.

The room keys are just used in proxy of you real CC, so they don't want you to go charging every little item and go over your real cards limit, which they do not know how much you have otb on you CC. So they do it in $500 chunks. If you need to go over the $500 amount on a purchace, say one of the pictures in the art store, just break out the real CC instead or authorize another $500.

The room cards are just for convenience, nothing more than that. You could just bring that card, and leave your wallent in the room safe and still be fine all day (except for food carts). :slurp:

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Originally posted by kbmb
Just curious...I know you can have your Disney resort key card be a charge card for shopping.....does this also include charging food?

Can I use it anywhere in the park to buy food?

Thanks!
ANywhere that can accept credit cards I believe. The problem is that they need to swipe the card, which is why the small stalls can't take them.

Last year we used our keys for practically everything, including all our meals.

The only problem comes when you reach your limit ($1000.00) and they have to re-authorise again. They can do it from whereever you are but I found that it would take about 5 minutes for them to get it sorted.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by Nansafan
Regarding the children charging issue. When you check in, they will ask you if everyone can charge or if you want only certain cards available for charging purposes. We've always let our kids charge and they've been pretty responsible about it.

My kids were doing the same thing in the PotC gift shop.

Whether you realize it or not, most kids understand how a charge card works (well...they understand that the card is swiped and you sign the paper).

The CM said that a little girl, about 8, brought about $70 worth of stuff to the counter. The CM asked where her parents were--the kid didn't know. She said she had to ring it up, but wasn't feeling too good about it.

Upvote 0

kev9035

Room Keys

I find the cards to be a great convenience. The less you have to deal with, the better.

I have only had one 'bad' experience using it.

An earlier post had mentioned that cast members are sometimes weary about children charging items, and it's very true. Inside the TOT shop one afternoon this past December, with my younger sister, the cast member refused to add a $14.00 item to her card.

I was standing right behind her, and the cast member didnot want to adknowledge that I was allowing her to buy the item. I finally paid cash for the item to avoid a scene. I was very disapointed with the cast member because she didn't want anything to do with me untill money appeared.

There was no 'Disney magic' living inside that store.

Upvote 0

DVCgirl49

I believe you can also put a limit on how much can be spent using a particular card. For example if you are giving a child a card with charging priveliges you can tell the CM at check in that you want that card to have a $100 limit (or whatever you deem is appropriate). My parents did this years ago when we would go. I would guess you can still do this @ check in, just let the CM know before they do all the paperwork.

Upvote 0

Bagheera

I'm not sure what the criteria is. I've been over $1500 without a charge-through to my card. Maybe it's because I'm DVC and not staying at a regular resort on cash?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom