Resort Dilemma: Need Honesty

surfsupdon

Family of 4 vacationing 12/26--1/4 two parents, me and my sis both upper teens

We have reservations at both Caribbean Beach and WDW Dolphin currently. We have stayed 11 times previous at CB (as you can tell form my numerous prior posts of how we LOVE it there and everyone should try it) and have stayed at the Dolphin once before. We are going at Christmastime, (Holiday Rates!!) so rooms at CB are 260/night while rooms at the Dolphin with the teacher discount are 129/night. Obviously my parents will be saving beaucoup money at Dolphin, but none of us know what we want to do yet. We all want and prefer CB, but we have been there plenty of times before; we prefer the Disney Resort feel to the hotel feel of Dolphin. Granted the Dolphin has walkways to Epcot and MGM, and they have a weightroom, but we would miss staying at CB.

You think we should suck it up and stay at Dolphin with their whimsical freakish themeing, or pay it up and go for CB for the sentimentality and beautiful themeing, but worse location?

Its a win win either way, dont get me wrong, but I need a good kick in the butt! Thanks all!!:xmas:

tigsmom

I'm all for saving money, BUT

if you really want to stay on site and are tired of the CB why don't you try a different resort? I've only stayed at the Contemp, Poly and Wilderness...which is our favorite. There are so many different themed resorts in all price ranges. Why don't you talk to your folks...price out a trip on the Disney site and pick. Or just keep what you have and enjoy the magic of Disney! Either way you come out a winner!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Personally, I don't like changing resorts in mid-vacation. Packing and unpacking seems like time that I would rather spend at the Parks or the Pool. So given the choices, I would go with Dolphin at the better rate. You still get Disney Transportation (including the short boat ride to Studios) and, as you said, you can easily walk to Epcot or MGM for that matter.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Original Poster
We are NOT switching Resorts halfway through. It is an either or situation. Should I stay at Dolphin for cheap or CB for lots??

We were at Dolphin before and you cant really tell it isnt Disney, so that isnt an issue.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well I would have to vote for saving the $1,000+. Your staying for what amounts to roughly 10 days and a price difference of $130 a night so I would personally rather have that extra grand for inside the parks,but we don't spend a whole lot of time in our room..more at the parks, shops etc., You can always hop around and look at the different decorations at the other resorts and still save that money.

or you could put that money saved away for your next visit to wdw!;)

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Hi,
This does not seem like a difficult decision to me. What it comes down to is money. If you can afford to pay the difference between the CB and Dolphin, and you love the CB that much, choose CB. It is your vacation to enjoy and you should stay at the place that makes you happiest. You mentioned how many times you have stayed at this one place. Ever thought of trying other Disney resorts? The Wilderness Lodge is my favorite, followed closely by the Poly and the GF. In your situation the CB is an easy choice if money is no object. Who's gonna miss $1000.00+ anyway?

On the other hand, if money does make a difference, the Dolphin is a good place in a great location. Think of all the people staying in a $25.00 bargain room outside the world who only dream of staying in the Dolphin. How happy they would be to be able to stay there!

If it were my choice and money were no object, I would stay at the Dolphin anyway ($129.00 is a great rate there) and donate the difference to Give Kids the World, The United Way, The Red Cross, or your favorite charity. I am not trying to sound preachy here. Bottom line, have a wonderful trip no matter where you stay. You asked for a kick in the butt, you don't need that, you just need put a little thought into what will make everyone happy, location wise and money wise.
Ricky

Upvote 0

Terp02

I've never stayed at the Dolphin and have stayed at the Carribean twice.

Here's my take on the situation:
It all comes down to what is top priority: money, convience, or being totally engulfed in Disney Magic?

If it's money then definitely stay at the Dolphin. You really can't beat that price especially for being inside WDW. I know that it's not a Disney resort, but how much time do you actually spend at the hotel anyway?

If it's convience then it's a tossup. With the Carribean you have full on Disney transportation and it's pretty centrally located. At the Dolphin, you can walk to Epcot, take a boat to MGM or Epcot, and you're right next to the Boardwalk.

If you want to be surrounded by Disney Magic, then obviously go with a Disney resort. I personally would not choose the Carribean. I think Port Orleans - Riverside is much nicer and is the same price as the Carribean.

I mean I haven't been there in over 2.5 years so I don't know if there has been any major changes, but this is from my experience.

Upvote 0

Herbie53

Premium Member
If you stay at the Dolphin you'll be very close to the Boardwalk, so you can walk over there if you feel like you're missing out on the Disney resort experience. You would be saving a lot of money, and that can have an impact on how relaxed you feel on your trip, especially your parents.

Last year my family stayed at the AKL. It was the first year in a long time that we did not stay at Port Orleans/Dixie Landings. On one of our days off from the parks we went over to P.O., had lunch and walked around a bit. Perhaps you could do that with Carribean Beach.

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

We've stayed at Dixie Landing and The Contemporary both for three weeks and both cost a small fortune.We're staying at the Grovesnor Resort in D/D Christmas and New Year 2004.Staying on-site at Christmas for three weeks was just astronomical.Our hearts were set on ten days The Poly and ten days The Grand.

As for you staying in the Dolphin,I know it's not officially a Disney Resort but both the Swan & Dolphin are hotels we'll stay at in the future.Like someone already mentioned you can walk to the Boardwalk for the Disney ambience.I say Dolphin.

Upvote 0
Here's what I'd do...

I'd stay at the Dolphin and with all the money saved, I'd do a special "Christmas" dinner for my family. Maybe Victoria and Alberts even? I'd probably even do Christmas presents. Maybe give each person a wad of cash and each one picks a name, then everyone gets a few hours to go shopping for their "Secret Santa".

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time! It's so magical that time of year!

Upvote 0

billybaruch1

I've not stayed at either one. I've never even visited either one. I just like giving advice. :wave:

I posted about a similar "dilemma" of mine. It was whether to spend $1,620 for the AKL or $750 for the ASMovies. Quite a stark contrast. For various reasons I could not book a moderate, which I naturally gravitate towards.

Your question seems easy to me. I would have "buyer's remorse" if I were to choose the CBR. That's because I would have been there 11 times before and had paid so much less before. If the Dolphin's "freakish" theming does not override your CBR sentiment, earn some money!* Otherwise, pay the piper.

Bill

*A $1,000 saved is a $1,000 earned. :animwink:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

While S&D can be a bit well tacky, it is a deluxe resort and had all the deluxe accomdations. I haven't stayed there, but did at Y&B twice and love the area. It has soo much to offer (The other resorts near by) and I have heard great things about their new "heavenly beds". I belive the rooms are larger. The bus transporation is just as good, if not better since you one have 2 stops (on like the 5 or 6 around CB.)

Go for S&B, try CB or another mod resort later. (Personally CB is my least fav Mod resort, I have tried them all). I would never dream of paying that price for CB, it just isn't worth it at any time. 129 a night for S&D is a great deal, if we weren't already DVC members we would get that deal for our next trip. (hubby is a teacher.)

Upvote 0

Stefffe

well my family has an October visit planned...and we have booked into Riverside...although we have never stayed there...in past visits we have always wanted to :) so we came to the decision that our daughters first trip would be based out of that resort...and hearing all your wonderful comments puts my mind at ease a bit...

however.....if we were offered an upgrade to AKL.... (for a difference of about $100 over the course of the stay)...would any of you choose to go to AKL?...or stay in Riverside at PO. and .....if you could think like a 6 yr old when you answer this...i would be quite thankful :) :) :)

thanks in advance

WDW bound in October....

~stefffe~

Upvote 0

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by Stefffe
well my family has an October visit planned...and we have booked into Riverside...although we have never stayed there...in past visits we have always wanted to :) so we came to the decision that our daughters first trip would be based out of that resort...and hearing all your wonderful comments puts my mind at ease a bit...

however.....if we were offered an upgrade to AKL.... (for a difference of about $100 over the course of the stay)...would any of you choose to go to AKL?...or stay in Riverside at PO. and .....if you could think like a 6 yr old when you answer this...i would be quite thankful :) :) :)

thanks in advance

WDW bound in October....

~stefffe~

Riverside is wonderful, an old favorite. However, AKL is my new favorite! :D The lodge is amazing, and I have to imagine that a 6 year old would be that much more thrilled by it. If 4 adults can get as excited as my family did about seeing animals outside our hotel room, then I have to imagine a 6 year old would go insane (in a good way :animwink: ). Even if you don't get a savannah view room, the theming and atmosphere are top notch, plus there are very good public viewing areas. There's an African story teller, guides to tell you about the animals, and many other opportunities to find out what the lodge is all about. I can't imagine you would be disappointed with an upgrade to the AKL.

In my own opinion, Riverside is the best of the moderate resorts, so you're really picking between two of my favorites. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Upvote 0

LivefortheMouse

well in my oppinion i would never stay at dolphin just because of the fact that though its in disney property its really owned by sheraton. I love disney resorts. specially carribean beach which mind u is beautiful during christmas. have fun.

Upvote 0

Stefffe

the only fault that i have found with PO is that there is no child care on that particular property....and since we had planned to have atleast one night to ourselves...i was leaning a little toward the AKL because they have the child care right there. we have always wanted to stay at PO...so this is a tough choice :veryconfu :veryconfu

but i know whatever choice we make....it will be a wonderful time for my little one:wave: :wave: :wave:

WDW bound in October...

~stefffe~

Upvote 0

roysta123

I am going to the Dolphin in Februrary and I can't wait! It is the only resort area I haven't stayed at yet. Being able to walk to Epcot and MGM in less than 10 minutes is awesome. At CB you have to take a bus everywhere, which takes a lot of time. At the Dolphin, you can even get to the Magic Kingdom by walking to Epcot and then taking the monorail. The Dolphin seems to be right in the center of Disney World and you can get everywhere very quickly plus you get a much bigger room and possibly even a view of MGM or Epcot and you are saving a ton of money. If I had to choose, I would not even think about going to the Caribbean Beach for that much money when the room is like the size of an All Star and the location is horrible.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Go to the Dolphin.
Money talks.
There's a lot you can do with $1000.
Give the heavenly beds a try--this is a good excuse to do that.
I think they are queen instead of double beds--more room to move.
You've been to CBR many times before. Time for something different. You always have the option of CBR next time.

And, BTW--Caribbean Beach is the largest of the moderates floor space-wise. At 340 sq ft, their rooms are the same size as Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.
The rooms at All Stars are 260 sq ft. (POR-FQ are 315, Coronado is 314)

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Original Poster
We have stayed at both CB and Dolphin during Christmastime so have seen the decorations. Both are beautiful. My mom and I are okay with Dolphin, my dad and sister are gung-ho for Caribbean Beach. Honestly, for Dolphin being a 4star deluxe, the rooms were nothing at all special!!!! CB rooms are much more preferable!!

We've stayed at Dixie Landings too, POR, and it was a great place, glad we tried. And we went back to CB next year. So we know we'll be going back to Disney within a year or 2, so I think we can def stay at Dolphin again and pass on CB only to return during an un-peak rate time. I mean, a "moderate" for 250/night!!

Thank you all for your great input, and if you have anymore, let me know, b/c i will be coaxing my dad for Dolphin I think. Though money does talk, we needs more reason than that.:xmas:

Youre all the best
-Don

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom