Resort Closures?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have just picked up the latest brochure from the Disney travel co UK, it gives a few interesting hints.
1. There is no longer a section for Port Orleans French Quarter.
2. The Villas at the Disney Institute have also dissapeared (but I think i read they were becoming timeshare).
3. There is no longer any reference to the boats to DTD from the Riverside.
4. No mention of River country still on map but no mention in guide.
5. There are two other villa complexes marked on map (I cant remember there name but there near DTD) they are no longer included in the brochure either.

Is this the shape of things to come?

One other thing following a thread from these boards I enquired about a Villa at the wilderness Villa, £4256 per adult or a grand total of £12k for us and kids which equates to 4 weeks at the Riverside.

Pan

I can't tell you much about the Villas, but PO-FQ has been closed since about November. It may reopen as attendance returns when the economy picks up but there also is a pretty strong rumour that it is to be purchased by the Government and be used the Shades of Green for Federal/military employees only. It is true that the boats are not running to DTD, but I suspect this is only temporary, and once PO-FQ opens in some capacity it will be back.

We had reservations at PO-FQ and were disappointed when we heard that it was closing. But, PO-Riverside was great. I think I like it even more than the FQ.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I don't know where u heard that rumor about the military, but please let me clariffy before this gets out of hand...(sorry but FQ is like my favorite resort!!)

French Quarter was closed when Tourism slumped, because it is a small resort with less rooms that any moderate on property (1000 compared to the 2000+ at the other 3 resorts). Shades of green would not be purchasing this resort, because they are expanding their own now. According to Disney Frech Quarter will open no later than October.

Some of the Villas at the Institute are closing, and becoming DVC timeshares. They will actually have a theme to the resort now too!!

The boats from Riverside to DTD have been stopped since the resort is now kind of empty. With half of Riverside closed and French Quarter shut down, there is really no reason for the boats. But when FQ opens again expect the boats to be running. (And the Magnolia Bend rooms are opening in May I think)

River Country is still acknowleged as a theme park in WDW. Even though it won't be opening as scheduled. Rumor has it that it will be closed for the entire 2002 season for a big cleaning (and since tourism has slumped).

The Timeshares you saw are Old Key West probably and I DON'T KNOW!!! There are no other Time Shares near DTD. There are the Boardwalk Villas and Wilderness Lodge villas and they aren't near DTD.

If it is possible can you scan the map on the computer so I can see it. Thanks!!!

Hope this helps!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pan

I heard that rumour about the FQ on several websites, plus our towncar driver told me that is what he heard was going to happen. Only rumour though. I hope it doesn't happen either. It's a great resort.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Pan
I heard that rumour about the FQ on several websites, plus our towncar driver told me that is what he heard was going to happen. Only rumour though. I hope it doesn't happen either. It's a great resort.

It isn't so no one worry!!!!!!

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

Shades of Green wanted to borrow French Quarter during there rehab. That way they could still operate and not have to lay off their staff. However an aggreement between them and Disney could not be reached, so there for French Quarter will remain closed until October 2002.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by wdwfan22
Shades of Green wanted to borrow French Quarter during there rehab. That way they could still operate and not have to lay off their staff. However an aggreement between them and Disney could not be reached, so there for French Quarter will remain closed until October 2002.

I knew Disney Wouldn't give it up.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

Your right Disney didn't give up. The only thing that upsets me about the whole thing is that they are using the Contemporary as a replacement for Shades of Green. So it makes it difficult to get into that resort at certain times. Oh well.

Upvote 0

goofy1

We were scheduled to stay at Disney Institute in the tree house villas. Then found out we were being moved. We were upset at first. Telling the kids we were not staying there was not fun and not knowing were we would be staying. Disney took care of us though, moved us to Old Key West. Lot more expensive resort!
It all worked out. Can not wait. Going March 22-29. YIPPEEE! Almost here!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by goofy1
We were scheduled to stay at Disney Institute in the tree house villas. Then found out we were being moved. We were upset at first. Telling the kids we were not staying there was not fun and not knowing were we would be staying. Disney took care of us though, moved us to Old Key West. Lot more expensive resort!
It all worked out. Can not wait. Going March 22-29. YIPPEEE! Almost here

That was a nice upgrade. I really like the theming of OKW. At first it feels like youa re home, with the Den in the lobby. Then the outdoor feel of the Keys is great. You'll like it there, HAVE FUN.

Upvote 0

goaler

You will love OKW. We have stayed there three times, and it feels just like home. The golf course is beautiful and be sure to try the Florida Snapper at Olivia's. I'm not much of a fish eater (beef, the other red meat) but this dish was fantastic.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom