Resort Advice - Beach Club or Poly?

Back2WDW

Original Poster
Planning a trip back to WDW for July...looking for some advice from the expert panel here. I heard both good things and bad things from a couple of people concerning the Beach Club vs. Poly..feel free to comment accordingly...pros/cons?

NYwdwfan

Both are great - however - for me if you have small kids and will be spending the bulk of the trip at MK and want to plan in breaks in the day, the Polynesian would probably be the best bet. If you have older kids/no kids and will be spending time exploring EPCOT, frequenting HS and hanging out in the Boardwalk area (which is so beautiful at night) you may prefer the convenience of being near 2 parks. The Beach Club also has the awesome pool, and you're going in July, so that's another factor! I guess it depends what you want to access with the most convenience.

Back2WDW

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great advice. Yes, traveling with a 6yr old and 2yr old so the convenience of the monorail to MK is definitely a plus. We can also jump on the monorail to EPCOT (my favorite park) or take the boat to MK..lots of options. I heard the pool at the Beach Club is must see. Have you stayed at the Polynesian before?

NYwdwfan

Thanks for all the great advice. Yes, traveling with a 6yr old and 2yr old so the convenience of the monorail to MK is definitely a plus. We can also jump on the monorail to EPCOT (my favorite park) or take the boat to MK..lots of options. I heard the pool at the Beach Club is must see. Have you stayed at the Polynesian before?

I've stayed there twice recently and once at Beach Club back in 2001. The convenience of the monorail is really nice with small kids (like the time my daughter, 4, threw a hissy fit and "went" on me and we needed to get back to the room for showers, FAST - and still made our Peter Pan fastpass). We were in one of the longhouses closest to the Transportation and Ticket Center so we could walk to the EPCOT monorail (or take either the express or resort monorails when leaving MK). I would recommend hitting one (or both) of the water parks - the kiddie areas are awesome and you wouldn't miss the BC pool. If going for Poly - request a newly renovated room - some of the older ones are, well, older.

Back2WDW

Original Poster
Thanks again. I'm still becoming accustomed to these boards and should have noticed your resort history at the bottom of your message. Good to know about the recently renovated rooms - I assume all of the houses are pretty similar in regards to decor? I probably could look up the resort maps, but what houses are closest to the main pool or lobby? The water parks I hear are great - last summer we finally made it to Typhoon Lagoon and my 6yr old didn't want to leave!

NYwdwfan

Thanks again. I'm still becoming accustomed to these boards and should have noticed your resort history at the bottom of your message. Good to know about the recently renovated rooms - I assume all of the houses are pretty similar in regards to decor? I probably could look up the resort maps, but what houses are closest to the main pool or lobby? The water parks I hear are great - last summer we finally made it to Typhoon Lagoon and my 6yr old didn't want to leave!

Honestly - I was just there and can't even remember correctly the name of the longhouse where I was (Tokelau? Toleakelo? Something like that...) I find them all confusing! I think they are all similar, but I am sure the room where we ust were was bigger - by about 4 feet in length - than the one in Tuvalo (??) a few years ago. Of course, that room was MK view and it was AMAZING to watch the fireworks from the balcony. Being near the pool can have pros and cons - it may be loud when you are looking for "quiet time". We were a building away from the main pool (too cold to go in it!) and right next to the quiet pool, and a building away from the Great Ceremonial House as well. From what I hear - the buildings near Luau Cove can be loud too (although what are the chance you're in your room during that time).

DisneyJoe

Planning a trip back to WDW for July...looking for some advice from the expert panel here. I heard both good things and bad things from a couple of people concerning the Beach Club vs. Poly..feel free to comment accordingly...pros/cons?

2 notes:

- Poly does not have a hot tub, no balconies on 2nd floor rooms

- Beach Club - many of the rooms have small or standing room only balconies, only some have a full balcony.. ALL Yacht Club rooms have full balconies.

NYwdwfan

2 notes:

- Poly does not have a hot tub, no balconies on 2nd floor rooms

- Beach Club - many of the rooms have small or standing room only balconies, only some have a full balcony.. ALL Yacht Club rooms have full balconies.

Not all Polynesian 2nd floor rooms don't have balconies - only the older longhouses. I had one at Tokelau (or something like that) last month.

Back2WDW

Original Poster
I guess I will need to brush up on my Hawaiian with all these names. I've also heard those same concerns about requesting rooms closer to the pools. We've been pretty lucky in the past with regards to proximity to the restaurants/pools - not much of a walk. The MK views sound nice - we were lucky enough last year to catch the boat back to the Wilderness Lodge while the fireworks were going off - it was great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom