Reservations for Mid-December?

pooh-san

Original Poster
Just curious ... Planning to visit the parks in mid-December (of 2012). Except for the Character Meals, is it really necessary to make early reservations during that season? Are things booked far in advance during slow seasons, too?

Cendure

Yes you definitely need to make dining reservations in advance. Epcot will have the Candlelight Processional Performances running at this time (3 performances/day). Many people book the Candlelight Processional dining packages which include lunch or dinner and a ticket to the show. I think the only Epcot restaurants that do not participate are Akershus and the Bistro above Chefs de France. There are lunch and dinner packages available for these performances so the restaurants will be packed. Even though the packages do not take up all the restaurant seating, it makes it very tight to just get a regular reservation. Also MK has the Christmas party happening so on some nights MK will close at 7:00 pm. Many people will eat at the surrounding resorts. We have traveled at this time of year on several occasions and have seen alot of people turned away if they don't have reservations. We've seen the podium CM's tell walk-ups not to bother waiting because there was no availability at all. At the Grand Floridian Cafe of all places, they were telling people to order room service because there was no availability. It seems that no matter what time of year you are going you really should make those reservations if you want a guaranteed sit down. So I would definitely recommend making reservations. Have a great time on your trip it's a fabulous time of year to be there.

lighteningqueen

Nothing slow for that month anymore.We have gone anywhere from the 1st thru the 18th and long lines, can't get into restaurants, we tried to change from yucky Boma to something else... all booked Please get them you can always cancel or change around. Book them to have something to eat at if you are doing TS.

lighteningqueen

There is no slow season but in my opinion I would NEVER go in Summer too too hot for us.. Dec has been good weather but crowds are high and lines are 60-80 minutes long.. This has been our experience the last 3 years we have gone.. the same times early December..

pooh-san

Original Poster
This is quite a surprise, I'm glad I asked! Most of the information I've read said the first few weeks of December and then again the first couple weeks in January are the best times to go. 60-80 min. wait? I'll be traveling with a 3 year old & a 1.5 year old ...

RonAnnArbor

I go every single year during the second week in December, and have for the past 20 years or so....

I guarantee you that it has NEVER been a "dead" period -- it has always had moderate crowds (say 3/10 to 5/10, higher on weekends)...which means you have lines everywhere. It is much more manageable than other periods though, and the Christmas decorations and events make it a wonderful time to go. Depending on the day, you could find yourself in a nice quiet park (especially DAK and DHS) while other days, and completely following no logic you find the park as lively and busy as peak times.

Don't let it put you off going -- it's one of the most magical times of year. And with kids your age, you won't be standing in any of those 60 - 90 minutes lines (Toy Story Mania, Soarin', Space Mountain)...

10 - 20 minute waits for most attractions (Except for Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan's Flight) will be the norm for most family oriented attractions.

You absolutely MUST make your dining reservations as early as possible. They are reservable now already up to Dec 16th...each day the next day becomes available...every single restaurant will be booked. That is true even on the lowest-attended days. I have been there with crowd levels of 1/10 and every restaurant was booked....

EvilQueen-T

we've gone each year either for about 5-7 days either the week right after thanksgiving or for a week ending at the second weekend of december and just like this year we've found even at our 180 day mark there are some places hard to get. this year i got online at 6 am 180 + our 7 day stay time out and got what we wanted but one place still didn't get near the time we wanted. they don't even call that time of year value season anymore they call it "fall" season and charge just a little bit more for the resort at least. i miss the "slow winter" too.

HouCuseChickie

We went Dec 7-13th this past year and while we found very few attractions with long lines and the parks rarely felt crowded, we did find that dining was booked pretty solid. i.e. I was very thankful that I took all the warnings and booked at 180.

MagicMegan

Just curious ... Planning to visit the parks in mid-December (of 2012). Except for the Character Meals, is it really necessary to make early reservations during that season? Are things booked far in advance during slow seasons, too?

Yes, with how things are now and how many people go and get the dining plan, then for sure!!

My advice...

Look at what parks are open what hours each day, especially extra magic hours.

I sometimes try to get dinner rezzies in parks with night EMHs.

Yes, definitely make your reservations. I just made my own reservations and I've been making ADRs for clients for the first part of December. Availability has been weird lately. It's impossible to get Ohana unless you book it at 180 days. Very little availability for Chef Mickey but Cinderella's Royal Table had tons of availability for an entire week, even for breakfast, which is harder to get. Via Napoli has been really hard to get for dinner, with later seatings being easier to get than say, 5:30 or 6:00.

One issue is that Disney isn't "loading" all the seats for some restaurants. There's been a problem with Via Napoli for months now, as well as La Hacienda and the Downtown Disney restaurants, so check back later if you're looking for those locations.

marcriss

Rose & Crown was booked for 12/10, the entire day, 180 days out, at 6am.

Apparently the Processional packages are supposed to be lunch this year (according to the CM I spoke too).

Aside from R&C we got pretty much everything we wanted. LE Cellier wasn't when we wanted it, but we got it.

But you need to book now, before any free dining offers come out for that time period. The closer you get to xmas, the worse it will get. First week is Pop Warner which fills a lot of places.

Rose & Crown was booked for 12/10, the entire day, 180 days out, at 6am.

Apparently the Processional packages are supposed to be lunch this year (according to the CM I spoke too).

Aside from R&C we got pretty much everything we wanted. LE Cellier wasn't when we wanted it, but we got it.

But you need to book now, before any free dining offers come out for that time period. The closer you get to xmas, the worse it will get. First week is Pop Warner which fills a lot of places.

Honestly, I would call back about Rose & Crown. A lot of the tables aren't loaded on the first day but if you call back a few days later, they are. I had a client who really wanted Tutto Italia (I warned her it wasn't that good) and it wasn't available. I kept calling and sure enough, a few days later all the tables were loaded and she got what she wanted. I've noticed this the most with Epcot restaurants and Downtown Disney.

Anyone making dining reservations should know that they're having major issues right now. It's been like this for weeks.

PJean710

I find free dining promotions really drive crowds. right now december of this year doesnt have freedining so the crowds should be pretty good. touringplans is predicting 2's most of the week. now if free dining is offered then all bets are off and those 2's become 5's. and 6's

marcriss

Honestly, I would call back about Rose & Crown. A lot of the tables aren't loaded on the first day but if you call back a few days later, they are. I had a client who really wanted Tutto Italia (I warned her it wasn't that good) and it wasn't available. I kept calling and sure enough, a few days later all the tables were loaded and she got what she wanted. I've noticed this the most with Epcot restaurants and Downtown Disney.

Anyone making dining reservations should know that they're having major issues right now. It's been like this for weeks.

Thanks, I 've been checking but I'll keep doing it. Our tradition is to eat at the R&C our first and last night, so I'm hoping that it'll open up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom