Rumor Reservation Changes?

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
"As you begin to plan your trip to visit Disneyland Resort for the Disney100 anniversary, please know that theme park reservation availability for Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park is currently paused for dates beyond Jan. 8, 2023, and will resume for guests in the coming weeks. "

Of course it is.

Because what kind of loser plans a $5,000 family vacation more than 90 days in advance? 🧐

This is interesting... Is there something deeper going on here? Maybe a change to the reservation system?

Californian Elitist

Why would that necessitate pausing the reservation system after 1/8 ? Is the thought that they don’t know what capacity level they want to allow? They can always start low and add more over time.
I’m assuming it has to do with capacity and crowd control, yes. There are going to be a lot of fans trying to get reservations for January 27th, no doubt. So maybe they’re trying to curtail that until the holidays pass? Not exactly sure.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then why wouldn't that start 1/27?
Possible that its to increase the "FOMO" factor for the holiday season. "Reserve your trip today and attend the Parks now before the 100th Anniversary crowds come in January!"

Or possible they will be putting stricter reservation guidelines in-place during the 100th Anniversary which requires a software update, so they need to pause all future reservations so they have a cut over point.

Or any number of reasons beyond that that have nothing to do with changes to the reservation system. One thing I wouldn't read into this is that the reservation is going away, as that is very unlikely to happen. I give it a less than 5% chance of that happening, not saying its impossible but its very less than likely to happen.

el_super

This is interesting... Is there something deeper going on here? Maybe a change to the reservation system?

They are probably expecting a slowdown in attendance come January and are still trying to calculate park hours/capacity before opening it up. Lots of moving parts here including several attraction closures coming up all the way up to the price of gas.

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
They are probably expecting a slowdown in attendance come January and are still trying to calculate park hours/capacity before opening it up. Lots of moving parts here including several attraction closures coming up all the way up to the price of gas.

This makes sense... it's weird they are halting reservations when few are made this far in advance for Disneyland anyways.

drizgirl

Possible that its to increase the "FOMO" factor for the holiday season. "Reserve your trip today and attend the Parks now before the 100th Anniversary crowds come in January!"

Or possible they will be putting stricter reservation guidelines in-place during the 100th Anniversary which requires a software update, so they need to pause all future reservations so they have a cut over point.

Or any number of reasons beyond that that have nothing to do with changes to the reservation system. One thing I wouldn't read into this is that the reservation is going away, as that is very unlikely to happen. I give it a less than 5% chance of that happening, not saying its impossible but its very less than likely to happen.
Disney is certainly manipulative. But that would be a step too far for me to believe it.

And after seeing what they did for WDW's 50th, I don't buy that they have that much planned for the company's 100th.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney is certainly manipulative. But that would be a step too far for me to believe it.

And after seeing what they did for WDW's 50th, I don't buy that they have that much planned for the company's 100th.
Beyond what is announced I wouldn't think they have much more planned either. That doesn't mean there won't be crowds because of it. In fact given DLR is at the center of this celebration I can guess based on past celebrations its going to be crowded for at least the first half of the year.

Now is that purely the reason why they aren't allowing reservations beyond January 8th, dunno its all speculation at this point. But its not hard to imagine that the 100th celebration is at least part of the reason why reservations temporarily have been halted beyond that date.

el_super

This makes sense... it's weird they are halting reservations when few are made this far in advance for Disneyland anyways.

Yeah exactly.... but to Disney this was always the benefit of having the reservation system. They don't have to post park hours/block out dates/entertainment schedules and planned capacity months in advance. As long as someone cannot get a reservation, there isn't any expectation of what is being offered at that time.

TP2000

I've been busy lately and am out of the loop. Like 98% of Southern Californians, I don't know what is happening at Disneyland in January. So I just Googled "Disney100" and it sent me to the Parks Blog to learn what opens on January 27th...

January 27th:
  • Castle decorations, including a magnificent cabochon and two moat fountains.
  • Redone World of Color water show; the 6th version of World of Color since 2010.
  • Redone Fireworks show.
And those three things are enough to halt any ability to get a park reservation after January 8th? I don't care how big that cabochon is, that just makes no sense.

Later in 2023, described nebulously as "Spring" (could be March, could be June) they are bringing back the Magic Happens parade and opening Mickey's Railway ride in a remodeled Toontown. That last one, Mickey's Runaway Railway, will be a big deal obviously. But there is no known date, or even a month, when that will happen.

This Disney100 thing is a nice little offering. But it's nothing like the 60th, much less the 50th. It's a happy coincidence for Anaheim that huge Covid delays pushed Mickey's Railway into calendar year 2023, and thus they can bundle this stuff together as a marketing ploy for "Disney100".

But shutting down park reservations 90 days out because of a cabochon and a new version of World of Color opening three weeks later? That makes no sense. 🤔

socaljoeyb

Original Poster
I've been busy lately and am out of the loop. Like 98% of Southern Californians, I don't know what is happening at Disneyland in January. So I just Googled "Disney100" and it sent me to the Parks Blog to learn what opens on January 27th...

January 27th:
  • Castle decorations, including a magnificent cabochon and two moat fountains.
  • Redone World of Color water show; the 6th version of World of Color since 2010.
  • Redone Fireworks show.
And those three things are enough to halt any ability to get a park reservation after January 8th? I don't care how big that cabochon is, that just makes no sense.

Later in 2023, described nebulously as "Spring" (could be March, could be June) they are bringing back the Magic Happens parade and opening Mickey's Railway ride in a remodeled Toontown. That last one, Mickey's Runaway Railway, will be a big deal obviously. But there is no known date, or even a month, when that will happen.

This Disney100 thing is a nice little offering. But it's nothing like the 60th, much less the 50th. It's a happy coincidence for Anaheim that huge Covid delays pushed Mickey's Railway into calendar year 2023, and thus they can bundle this stuff together as a marketing ploy for "Disney100".

But shutting down park reservations 90 days out because of a cabochon and a new version of World of Color opening three weeks later? That makes no sense. 🤔

Runaway Railway is opening on the 27th as well... but closing out reservations is still very odd. 90+ days out is when your HNW vacationers are planning their trips.

TP2000

Runaway Railway is opening on the 27th as well... but closing out reservations is still very odd. 90+ days out is when your HNW vacationers are planning their trips.

Oh my gosh, you're right. I only skimmed the Parks Blog post and should have read the rest of this sentence...

"While Mickey’s Toontown is slated to reopen for guests in spring 2023, we are pleased to announce that the new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction will open early as we kick off the Disney100 anniversary celebration on Jan. 27!"

So Toontown won't be open yet, but they're going to set up walls and/or crowd barriers to keep people just going to/from the new ride itself? Why? That sounds like something dreamed up in a comfy conference room that will be a logistical nightmare when attempted in the actual dead-end corner of a theme park.

The mind boggles on how/why these decisions are made. o_O

CaptinEO

The first week of January is always the last week of Holiday crowds. Maybe they are making adjustments of some sort. Lets hope it's to get rid of reservations permanently.

I have a feeling keys are going to be no more. They are mostly dead by this point anyways as their numbers can only shrink, not grow.

TP2000

The first week of January is always the last week of Holiday crowds. Maybe they are making adjustments of some sort. Lets hope it's to get rid of reservations permanently.

Maybe? But reservations are unavailable beginning Monday, January 9th. That's a full week after New Year's weekend, and the local schools are all back that Monday. LA Unified School District (with a measly 640,000 students) is off from December 16th and returns on January 9th. Most OC districts are off until the 9th too.

Nevermind that Christmas break is now 23 days long for kids in a state with one of the highest illiteracy rates in the nation... but at some point the kids have to go back to school after the holidays. :rolleyes:

What's odd here is that Disneyland reservations are unavailable beginning the day SoCal schools and businesses return to normal.

CaptinEO

Maybe? But reservations are unavailable beginning Monday, January 9th. That's a full week after New Year's weekend, and the local schools are all back that Monday. LA Unified School District (with a measly 640,000 students) is off from December 16th and returns on January 9th. Most OC districts are off until the 9th too.

Nevermind that Christmas break is now 23 days long for kids in a state with one of the highest illiteracy rates in the nation... but at some point the kids have to go back to school after the holidays. :rolleyes:

What's odd here is that Disneyland reservations are unavailable beginning the day SoCal schools and businesses return to normal.
Probably the right time to do it if they were to get rid of reservations, vs having it during the holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom