Requesting help with identifying some Disney World photos from 1983

krs1979junk

Original Poster
Hello.

I just joined your forum. I have a lot of Disney World photos from various years and I'm attempting to sort them out with neat descriptions etc and when possible put them in some type of order. I've spent many hours with this project and I got most of them done but there are a few I can't figure out so I was hoping some expert in here might be able to help me out.

I'll post 11 photos from my first trip to Disney World which was in the year 1983. The first five photos are from Magic Kingdom and I believe the rest are all from Epcot. If you think it's fun to help out with this have more Disney World photos from 1991, 1995 and 1996 to post later on. Anyway here are my questions about these photos:

Pic 1 - I think the picture of these crates (that reads Herb Malone and Eddy Pug) was taken from the Liberty Square Riverboat. I can't find these crates in any Liberty Square Riverboat videos on YouTube. Where exactly were they located and approximately where during the boat ride? I've got surrounding photos of Harper's Mill, Potter's Windmill, Settler's Cabin, the Alligator Swamp shack and the Indian Encampment. Where would these crates fit in amongst all those I just mentioned?

Pic 2 through 5 - I think all of these were shots from the Walt Disney World Railroad. Am I correct and if so in which order do they go?

pic6 - In which Epcot pavilion was this photo taken? What is it of and which exhibit is it from?

pic7 - Photo of a glass cabinet with some type of small scale model of solar cells. What exactly is this and where in Epcot was this photo taken?

pic8 - I assume this is somewhere from World Showcase and it looks like Germany to me but I can't find this view on Google Maps Streets, I've looked all over. Does anyone know where it's from? Does it still look the same or has it changed up and that's why I can't find it on Google Maps?

pic9 - I don't know if this is from Epcot for sure but maybe someone else can confirm if it is, and if so where at in Epcot?

pic10 - Can someone locate the coordinates on Google Maps where this shot of The Land pavilion was taken? I've been wandering all over Epcot on Google Maps and I can't figure out where this shot was taken from.

pic11 - What is this band called and where are they performing in the photo?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 243
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 235
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 232
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 230
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 234
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 245
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 234
  • pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 228
  • pic9.jpg
    pic9.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 237
  • pic10.jpg
    pic10.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 245

krs1979junk

Original Poster
I found one more. It's of a Hansel and Gretel marionette performance which I assumed would be around the Germany pavilion but I guess it's not because I can see the France showcase Eiffel Tower in the background. Anyone know where exactly this photo is taken?

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 271

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

krs1979junk

Original Poster
Just a quick glance off the top of my head:

7. Innovations communicore
8. Great Britan Epcot , spcifically Rose and Crown to the left. Each side represents a different era.

10. https://www.google.com/maps/place/28°22'25.2"N+81°33'04.2"W/@28.3736592,-81.5517105,273m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xea245263cb7597bd!2sEpcot!8m2!3d28.374694!4d-81.549404!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d28.3736584!4d-81.5511618
11 Epcot world showcase lagoon
Thank you so much.
About #7, would that have been in the CommuniCore East or West building? Because this was before it became Innoventions. Do you know which exhibit that is of too perhaps?

krs1979junk

Original Poster
#9: Seems to be the original flowerbed that is now the Box Hedge in front of Plume et Palette of the France Showcase.

Thank you so much. I found a better pic of it (not taken by me) that shows the surroundings:
https://www.retrowdw.com/wp-content...ter-&-Magic-Kingdom/fleur-de-lis-April_83.jpg
I don't know how drastically that area might have changed. It looks quite empty in the link above.
Does the area still look like Plume et Palette in France Showcase? Do you think the marionette performance https://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachments/90-jpg.515839/ is from the same area? The pictures were in sequence in my stack of photo but that doesn't necessarily mean they are in order as much of it has been completely mixed up, but a few have happened to be in correct order. I thought the area in my marionette photo and the link above of the flower bed kinda resembled each other maybe.

DBF John

Thank you so much. I found a better pic of it (not taken by me) that shows the surroundings:
https://www.retrowdw.com/wp-content/gallery/brians-collection/April-1983-EPCOT-Center-&-Magic-Kingdom/fleur-de-lis-April_83.jpg
I don't know how drastically that area might have changed. It looks quite empty in the link above.
Does the area still look like Plume et Palette in France Showcase? Do you think the marionette performance https://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachments/90-jpg.515839/ is from the same area? The pictures were in sequence in my stack of photo but that doesn't necessarily mean they are in order as much of it has been completely mixed up, but a few have happened to be in correct order. I thought the area in my marionette photo and the link above of the flower bed kinda resembled each other maybe.
Yeah I found the Retro pic also, its what led me to identify the area, if you look at the right edge, the stone wall gave me the hint, and I matched it up on Google Street View, the far back ground is the masking berm before International Gateway was build, and verified with some early aerial pics. The general look around the planter has been changed over the years, the marionette wagon as best I can tell was set-up in front of what was the undeveloped Morocco plot, hence the Tower in the background, there is also a hint of berm, also verified by aerial pics of pre open time period, I also found an aerial of The Land from the early years with a line of people waiting to get into JIYI which lines up perfect with your pic.

Last edited:

krs1979junk

Original Poster
Yeah I found the Retro pic also, its what led me to identify the area, if you look at the right edge, the stone wall gave me the hint, and I matched it up on Google Street View, the far back ground is the masking berm before International Gateway was build, and verified with some early aerial pics. The general look around the planter has been changed over the years, the marionette wagon as best I can tell was set-up in front of what was the undeveloped Morocco plot, hence the Tower in the background, there is also a hint of berm, also verified by aerial pics of pre open time period, I also found an aerial of The Land from the early years with a line of people waiting to get into JIYI which lines up perfect with your pic.

Thank you so much for your help!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom