Requesting 1st floor at Polynesian w/ kids

verybusymom40

Hi Everybody, looking for a little advice. We're staying at the Poly in January, and I've booked a Magic Kingdom view room. I have a 4 year old and I was wondering if it was nice to be on the first floor with a patio and just be able to head to the beach area that way, instead of down the hall and using the elevator. I love Tikiman's website, and I've looked it over plenty. I'm not going to put in a specific request on my reservation till I get this figured out. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kris:)

lwalker8

I grew up in a large family and there were always small kids... It was a great advantage to be on the first floor. It allowed us to walk right out to the pool/beach, and made for less worrying about little ones climbing over high ledges. When we requested the first floor ahead of time we recieved it 3/4 times.:wave:

Upvote 0

verybusymom40

Original Poster
Thanks! That's just what I was wondering about. Did your family happen to have a favorite longhouse? This will be our first time at the Poly. We make it down to Florida once every 4-5 years, and I think this will be the last "family" trip with the college age son, so I'm hoping to make it extra nice for everybody.
P.S. The college aged kid's not the one I'm worried about climbing over stuff. It's the 4 year old little gymnast. She's such a little monkey.

Upvote 0

vmkaddict

We prefer Tahiti......it's very close to the TTC, but a bit of a hike to the GCH. I've always peferred the 3rd floor, even with kids. The view is much better from high up, IMHO. I dont think you can go wrong which ever floor you stay on. Have great time.:wave:

Upvote 0

lwalker8

I have only stayed in Tokelau, which is similar to Tahiti (close to TTC/EPCOT monorail), but it is not as far from the Ceremonial House/Pools.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/polymap.htm
- This site has a good site map of Poly. that will allow you a pretty good overview of how the buildings there are situated. And don't forget to check out the fireworks from sunset point(the big hill behind the Tokelau building. It's a great place to sit on a nice night and see the fireworks from the quiet of your resort.:wave: ....and Ohana's is awesome too!!!

Upvote 0

KeithVH

Another vote for 3rd floor Tahiti if you're not gonna do Hawaii. Yeah, first floor is nice at times but can also be noisier in a few instances. And messy with the ducks.

Upvote 0

lwalker8

Another vote for 3rd floor Tahiti if you're not gonna do Hawaii. Yeah, first floor is nice at times but can also be noisier in a few instances. And messy with the ducks.

haha...we always somehow have ended up with birds in our room. Ducks aren't that bad. Its the black ones you've got to watch out for!:lookaroun

Upvote 0

shari71

Last year we stayed at Tokelau and it was the best location and we had first floor. I don't know what to tell you about getting your request in. I have requested twice now when I have made reservations and didn't get them. Their explaination is that the reservation system is separate from the hotel system. My daughter has asthma and cannot be in a smoking room. They like to "clean" them at times and call them non-smoking. In the end they cleared it up, but it is a hassle when you take the time to note it when you make the reservations. Some recommend faxing the hotel a few days before you head down, but then I also heard that that just irritates the staff and doesn't help. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Teenchy

I would also agree with Tokelau, you can sometimes get a good view of the lagoon with out the waterview price$$.

IMHO I think you should have a better than average chance of getting the bottom floor. I would think more people request to be higher for better views and the noise factor. But maybe thats just me????

No better advice than Tikimans website. Soak it all up and you will make the most of your stay. I know that Tokelau is currently be re-furb. Check Tikimans site to get the most up to date info.

Upvote 0

Krupknick

Just returned from a two week stay at the Polynesian at the House Of The Mouse Last week I had a first floor MK view room in Aotearoa rm # 1221 New room good view .....................:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

tikiman

I always ask for a ground floor room. The view of the lagoon and castle are great from there. Some say that there are ground floor rooms blocked by bushes but I have seen more upper level rooms blocked by palm tree tops and with the ground level room you can walk out and have an even better view from the beach. When people are getting ready in the morning I just walk out the door and walk around. If I were on an upper floor I doubt I would go to the elevator, go down, out the main doors and to the beach.

Upvote 0

verybusymom40

Original Poster
That's it exactly. Opening up the slider and walking outside on the spur of the moment. Thanks Tikiman. Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

The Captain

First off I hate when people use the word "poly" this is an offensive term to Polynesians. Second off try to afoid 2nd story rooms in the old long house, no balcony due to polynesian supersition. So in the older long houses try to get 1st or 3rd floor rooms.

Upvote 0

TestTrack

First off I hate when people use the word "poly" this is an offensive term to Polynesians. Second off try to afoid 2nd story rooms in the old long house, no balcony due to polynesian supersition. So in the older long houses try to get 1st or 3rd floor rooms.

or perhaps its an abbreviated way of saying The Polynesian as in the resort...having nothing to do with Polynesian people.

Honestly people get offended WAYYYY to easily nowadays

Upvote 0
or perhaps its an abbreviated way of saying The Polynesian as in the resort...having nothing to do with Polynesian people.

Honestly people get offended WAYYYY to easily nowadays

I agree.

But to get back on topic...reading this thread totally makes me want to stay at the Polynesian. I want ducks in my room!!!! I'm planning our next trip and even though I've always stayed at French Quarter, I've been thinking it's time to go for either Grand Floridian or Polynesian. Considering the ages of our party, I think the Poly is the way to go.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

My only trouble with ground floor rooms is it was very hard for me to keep track of the kids, since they then have 2 ways to escape :lol: :lookaroun If this isn't a problem for you, though, ground floor is the best!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

tikiman

Actually I study Polynesian culture and I have not only looked into both the claim that “poly” is derogatory but the crazy myth of the curse of the menehuna being why they did not make balconies on the second floors of the longhouses. I won’t go into all the details I did on another forum but both are false and made up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom