Reputation Readers...Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I bought a magnet from the Resistance carts after riding MF falcon and the cast member said 'I hear you had a pretty rough ride on the Falcon.' which completely caught me by surprise. It was a really nice bit of interaction.

That’s super cool! What coast?

Surferboy567

Original Poster
East... I think they got the info from my Magic Band as the cast member said it as I was paying (using the band). Not sure how they would do this at DL?

They could be using the Play Disney app it can send a Bluetooth signal to the readers. Were you using it throughout the land?

cjkeating

They could be using the Play Disney app it can send a Bluetooth signal to the readers. Were you using it throughout the land?

I didn't use the Play Disney App so it must have been Magic Band.

Not sure if Bluetooth would be location accurate enough especially in a crowded shop with multiple signals within 10 feet of the register? Is this feature active at Disneyland as I first heard of it after DHS had opened?

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I didn't use the Play Disney App so it must have been Magic Band.

Not sure if Bluetooth would be location accurate enough especially in a crowded shop with multiple signals within 10 feet of the register? Is this feature active at Disneyland as I first heard of it after DHS had opened?

Yes the play Disney app and The Star Wars datapad have been active since launch. The app does other stuff too besides only galaxy edge releated things it also gives you “achievements” for riding certain rides. As for the location related data I’m sure it is accurate enough. I haven’t been to WDW version yet...but as far as I know the only way you have reputation is though that app (possibly the credits got transferred to the magicband somehow) but beyond that I’m not sure how’d they know.

KevinPage

I rarely use the play app and didn’t tinker with datapad but when I Judy checked it knows I was on the ride and I have a bunch of credits

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I rarely use the play app and didn’t tinker with datapad but when I Judy checked it knows I was on the ride and I have a bunch of credits

As long as it has permissions the app could do whatever it wants even if rarely used. I actually like this also...if they finally do use this systems those credits could come in handy!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't get why people even want this or care about this. The cast member is just really saying a generic statement. "oh i heard you did good. bright suns" or "oh i heard you did bad. watch out for bounty hunters. bright suns" its pointless and really does not add anything to the land and they only say it after you buy something. I would be like "yeah that's great, can i have my Porg magnet now that i just gave you money for so i can be on my way?"

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I don't get why people even want this or care about this. The cast member is just really saying a generic statement. "oh i heard you did good. bright suns" or "oh i heard you did bad. watch out for bounty hunters. bright suns" its pointless and really does not add anything to the land and they only say it after you buy something. I would be like "yeah that's great, can i have my Porg magnet now that i just gave you money for so i can be on my way?"

This is why you could opt in and out. For a lot of us (including myself, most of the people in the galaxy edge discord, and lots of individuals on this forums plus friends I know personally would love this). A lot of people call Galaxy Edge “lifeless” that’s becuase they aren’t willing to give themselves to the story and enjoy it. Sure their are other reasons but sometimes that is also a contributing factor. I personally love Batuu, the point is if you want a generic theme park land you won’t find it at Galaxy’s Edge. You (in theory) could just opt out.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Crashed the Falcon in WDW several times with the hope of exploring how that would play out in the land, but didn't find that it led to anything, even with my MagicBand or Play Disney app. Wondering if this concept was abandoned.
Maybe the CMs have been told to refrain from making fun of people who can't seem to get the hang of flying the Falcon...

BoarderPhreak

I don't disagree; it's "cheap entertainment" to try and add some interaction within the land. But when it catches you off guard like it did for cjkeating it's kind of cool, albeit in a rather limited way. If they were to really expand on the execution it would be fun.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

This is another of those Disney magic things that will work better for kids than cynical adults

999th Happy Haunt

You must be fun at parties

Janir

I believe that, but that is why there is a simple solution: it needs to be "opt in". If someone uses their "data pad" and plays and clicks on some sort of opt in, then CMs know to harass (um, interact in character with) those guests only.
Easy enough, if you login to the datapad, your game. If you turn it off, you get left alone. Kinda assumed that's how they would do it in the first place.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

This is why you could opt in and out. For a lot of us (including myself, most of the people in the galaxy edge discord, and lots of individuals on this forums plus friends I know personally would love this). A lot of people call Galaxy Edge “lifeless” that’s becuase they aren’t willing to give themselves to the story and enjoy it. Sure their are other reasons but sometimes that is also a contributing factor. I personally love Batuu, the point is if you want a generic theme park land you won’t find it at Galaxy’s Edge. You (in theory) could just opt out.
Galaxy's Edge is the definition of generic theme park land

Surferboy567

Original Poster

According to the Galaxy’s Edge Discord the Rep readers are indeed working and active.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom