Trip Report Report back from first family vacation

This was our first vacation as a family with kids ages (8,6,6,6). My wife and I had been to WDW several times before. We stayed at AOA with a 7 day pass in late January 2018.
Parks
Magic Kingdom - 3 days
Animal Kingdom - 2 days
Epcot - 1 day
Hollywood Studio - 1 day
Restaurants
Reservations Kept
California Grill, Chef Mickey, TREX, 1900 Park Fare, Boathouse, Be Our Guest

Reservations Cancelled
Ohana, Flying Fish Café, Kona Cafe, Le Cellier

Overall the trip was great. But I will break down the great, the good, & the bad.

Great
Pandora ride was amazing. Soarin use to be my favorite ride until this one. Definately the best ride at WDW.
Fireworks show "Happily Ever After". This was definately the most incredible part of our disney trip, I'm still rewatching this on youtube daily.
California Grill - Great restaurant in every possible way (Food, Service, Atmosphere)
1900 Park Fare - Character breakfast was delightful.
Service was incredible at both hotels and in the parks. We had several incidents (Lost/Sick child) that we needed help and they were there for us immediately.

Good
Food/atmosphere was good at Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey. Nothing overwhelmingly great though.
DoleWhip and Beignets. Both very tasty but I wouldn't put them in the "To Die For Category".

Bad
I was disappointed with boathouse. The food was expected to be as good as capital grill/mortons but fell short. My fault for ordering steak instead of seafood?
TREX was underwhelming. The kids weren't that impressed with atmosphere either. Overall thought this place was a bust.
The amount of walking and crowds everywhere was alot to put up with for 8 days. Despite warnings of many, we didn't get into good enough physical shape to handle 10 miles of walking per day.
With younger kids, it was often too much to go back out for dinner reservations after a day at the park. We had to cancel alot of reservations because of this.
I thought alot of the quick service was cafeteria level food. It works for a few meals but after 8 days we were done with greasy food.

We enjoyed our trip but might wait a few more years when the kids are older so the parents can relax a little more when the kids are more independent.

Do you agree or disagree with this assessment?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom