Replacement for Virgin Megastore at DTD?

JeepGuy77

Original Poster
Disney announced this week the new concept for the Disney Store. The first opening in Times Square in New York City. What's interesting is the new store will be located in the former Virgin Megastore in Times Square. The new store concept will be similar to the Apple Stores. This could be why there are sumors circulating about an Apple Store replacing the Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World.

Disney Store Innovates Times Square Retail With All-New Magical Shopping Experience Opening Fall 2010
State-of-the-Art Store Design Inspired by Walt Disney's Legacy of Innovation

PASADENA, Calif. – January 5, 2010 – Disney Store will transform an expansive retail space in the heart of New York's Times Square into a magical state-of-the-art, interactive retail destination set to open in fall 2010. The lease signed with Vornado Realty Trust, negotiated by RCS Real Estate Advisors, and brokered by SRS Real Estate Partners secured the location at 1540 Broadway, between 45th and 46th Street. Inspired by Walt Disney's legacy of creativity and innovation, the new Disney Store will celebrate Disney's long-standing history with the city that never sleeps.

Since the debut of Walt Disney's audio-animatronic figures at the New York World's Fair in 1964, Disney designers, architects, and engineers have utilized technology to bring new immersive experiences to the city. Continuing the legacy, Disney Store will incorporate technologically advanced displays including an interactive Disney Princess castle to serve as one of many magical centerpieces at the new Times Square location. An all-new children's theater will feature the latest Disney entertainment, classic animation, and continue Disney's rich tradition of storytelling.

"Bringing Disney Store to the center of Times Square is a monumental achievement, and we have created a retail experience that complements the energy and innovation that Times Square inspires," said Jim Fielding, president of Disney Stores Worldwide. "We're focused on reinvigorating retail and providing a unique shopping destination to millions of families from all over the world who travel to New York for a magical experience."

"Disney's bold move to restore 42nd Street's greatest landmark theater in the 1990s was THE turning point in Times Square's recent history. We are thrilled that Disney is bringing its creative energies yet again to Times Square with this new Disney Store. An iconic brand is coming again to America's most iconic place," said Tim Tompkins, president of Times Square Alliance.

Renovations will begin soon at the Times Square location, designed to showcase a wide assortment of products inspired by iconic Disney characters and key entertainment properties. The newly-designed Disney Store will facilitate interactive play and imagination, host children's activities, special events, and celebrity appearances. Over the next five years Disney Store plans to strategically balance its retail portfolio, enter new markets, and transform more than 300 locations across the US and Europe to feature the new design.

To find a Disney Store, guests can visit www.DisneyStore.com/storelocator or call (866) 902-2798. For more information, please visit www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/press/us. Guests can also sign up for email alerts at www.DisneyStore.com/Updates, become a fan on Facebook www.facebook.com/DisneyStore or follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/DisneyStore to stay connected to your favorite destination.

About Disney Store North America
The Disney Store retail chain is owned and operated in the United States by Disney Store USA, LLC and in Canada by Disney Store Canada Inc. Disney Store is an affiliate of Disney Consumer Products, the business segment that extends the Disney brand to merchandise. Disney Store carries high-quality products, including exclusive product lines that support and promote Disney's key entertainment initiatives and characters. In 1987, Disney Store opened its first store in Glendale, California and, in doing so, originated the themed retail business model. There are currently more than 200 Disney Store locations in North America, each offering a magical shopping experience that can only be delivered by Disney, one of the world's largest and most successful entertainment companies.

kelsar

I used to go to that Virgin Megastore all the time. There are two floors for retail, and on the next level down is a four-screen movie theater. This could lead to some very interesting designs...

uklad79

"The store will be located at 1540 Broadway, between 45th and 46th Streets, the former home of Virgin Records, and right next to the incoming Forever 21 flagship. Disney reportedly will use a portion of the first, second and third floors for a total of almost 25,000 sq. ft., according to Crain’s New York."

So they are not taking the whole Virgin store as the Forever 21 deal is still on. I am supprised they are closing the World Of Disney before this opens. That store only lasted 5 years and must have cost a small fortune.

Victor

It would seem a bit silly to open a Disney Store in Disney World, I mean the whole place is one big Disney store. I work for the Disney Store and we haven't heard of anything being planned for DTD. I also always found the rumors of Apple taking over to be somewhat strange too. Most visitors to DTD are tourists and are not looking to buy a new computer.

It is sad that World of Disney will be gone, but all the Disney Stores (the Times Square store being the first) are about to receive some big time TLC. While they may be run by Disney Consumer Products, it will feel like Theme Parks and Resorts is behind it.

paul436

I cannot wait for this store to open! Living in NYC, visits to the Disney Store on 5th Avenue would give me the Disney fix I needed. I foresee frequent visits to the new store.

Victor

Anyone else find it ironic that even though the store is named Imagination Park, it won't be operated by Parks and Resorts this time?

There has been no serious talk of rebranding, renaming, or opening up new stores as 'Imagination Park'. This was just an idea floated around last year that has not been mentioned (at least within our stores) since. I guess we will see what happens...

MarkTwain

There has been no serious talk of rebranding, renaming, or opening up new stores as 'Imagination Park'. This was just an idea floated around last year that has not been mentioned (at least within our stores) since. I guess we will see what happens...

Hmm, I suppose I misconstrued rumor as fact. I'm kind of glad that name is being reconsidered, to be honest; I thought referring to what is essentially a store as a park was kind of misleading.

WorldSpirit

I am confused. Will the World of Disney Store still be in DTD? Since the title of this post is "Replacement for Virgin Megastore at DTD?" does this mean that both New York and DTD locations will change, even though the article is about New York?

thewhitequeen

I was so disappointed that they closed the World of Disney Store in Times Square but it now looks to have been the right decision. Looking forward to seeing the new design.

MarkTwain

I am confused. Will the World of Disney Store still be in DTD? Since the title of this post is "Replacement for Virgin Megastore at DTD?" does this mean that both New York and DTD locations will change, even though the article is about New York?

I think the OP is suggesting this new store concept (rumored to be called "Imagination Park") as a replacement for the Virgin Superstore in the West Side, to be in addition to the already existing (and not going anywhere) World of Disney.

MacUK

Don't forget Steve Jobs is the biggest single shareholder of Disney and talk on the Mac Forums is he has a few ideas for the Disney Stores, mainly to do with interaction etc.
For instance, sounds, smells and I can see the Multi-Touch tech of the iPhone being used heavily!

ScorpionX

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I would much rather see a Barnes & Noble Megastore than another Disney Store. They already have World of Disney in the Marketplace and all of the parks. Why would you do it? That's like putting two Taco Bells next to each other.
:mad::veryconfu:

jt04

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, I would much rather see a Barnes & Noble Megastore than another Disney Store. They already have World of Disney in the Marketplace and all of the parks. Why would you do it? That's like putting two Taco Bells next to each other.
>:-( ?

If they did create a new Disney Store I would think the old one would close. Just a guess though. The old store would make a good Pixar Store however. Spitting Stitch would have to go.

JeepGuy77

Original Poster
It would seem a bit silly to open a Disney Store in Disney World, I mean the whole place is one big Disney store.

This is true but I find this also silly:

Why are there Disney Stores in Orlando at all? Wouldn't it make people shop at Downtown Disney?

Why are there 2 Planet Hollywood stores at Downtown Disney on the West Side? Why is there one at the Studios?

Why does One Upon a Toy sell alot of the same merchandise that World of Disney Sells? Why does Mickey's Groove exist when you can buy the same merchandise at World of Disney or Tren-D?

Why do we have two Rainforest Cafes on property? 3 if you count T-Rex.

Why does Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Animal Kingdom sell Star Wars merchandise?

Why is there merchandise with Cinderella Castle on it at Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and the Studios?

Testtrack321

The new store concept will be similar to the Apple Stores.

No.

This could be why there are sumors circulating about an Apple Store replacing the Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World.

Rumors, yes, but I can NEVER see Apple opening a store there. The only thing that Apple shows hits of moving to are their retail locations (sometimes up to a year before opening there are applications online for unbuilt stores), and none have popped up for DTD. The moment I hear something like that I'll believe it, but not some crazy "He's CEO of Apple and on the Disney board!" comments.

MacUK

...but not some crazy "He's CEO of Apple and on the Disney board!" comments.

My comment about SJ was to do with Disney Stores NOT Apple Stores. I agree that Apple would not open a store at DTD.

Now a dedicated iPod kiosk somewhere at DTD would do a brisk trade.LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom