Renting DVC Points

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
Hello everyone -

Can anyone tell me about renting DVC points from members?
Has anyone done it? How did you go about doing it? I know there's some risk involved because it's an agreement between you and the DVC member (and not Disney directly).

Thanks.

edit: woohoo Post #100!

Pioneer Hall

I almost rented points once, it was a friend of a friend so I wasn't very concerned about losing my money. I ended up not needing the points though and the woman was very nice about refunding my money since I gave her very advanced notice.

There are a number of other forums that are more DVC related that have rental boards. That is a good place to start if you are looking for points, but as you said nothing is a guarantee when you are dealing with an individual. There are also rental brokers out there that can help facilitate a rental with someone which makes the transacation much safer. David's DVC rental (www.dvcrequest.com) is a forum sponsor and one of the most popular agents that take care of this. The major difference in renting yourself or through someone is price. Most private transactions go for about $10 a point, while a broker is usually in the area of $13. It really is a matter of preference if the extra money is worth the peace of mind by going through a broker. If you do decide to go private, your best bet is to check references of a person and use a contract and paypal to take care of the transaction.

nolatron

Hello everyone -

Can anyone tell me about renting DVC points from members?
Has anyone done it? How did you go about doing it? I know there's some risk involved because it's an agreement between you and the DVC member (and not Disney directly).

Thanks.

edit: woohoo Post #100!

I've rented points 3 times in the past for a 1BR suite at the Boardwalk villas.

At its' simplest, the process would be something like this:

First thing you'll need to know is how many points you'll need to rent. Use this calculator to check different DVC resorts and room types to see point values for your travel dates. Sun-Thurs rates are the lowest, along with the typical "Disney season" rates. (ie: value season will be the least amount of points).

You'll probably wanna pick 2 or 3 resorts cause if you're within a couple months of your trip, availability can be slim sometimes. So giving a DVC member 2 or 3 places to check is always good cause the DVC member has to phone DVC Member services to check for rooms.

Once you have your points, look for a renter here (will need to register I think). Pretty much just find someone renting how ever many points you need at a price you'd like (I never go for anything over $10/point) and send 'em an email with your request. (ie: 1BR standard view at BWV for such and such dates).

You can ask for references, contact info, etc... from a renter too. Most are happy to provide it. Some renters will even conference call you in when they call member services so you can book it all right there on the spot. Some even have a rental contract they sign with you to help assure they won't screw you over, as well as to cover themselves from getting screwed over by the rentee (eg: Room damages/charges/etc... that get billed directly to them)

Once the DVC member checks availability, they'll let you know whats availabel and if you say book it, they do and then send you the reservation number once they get.

For payments most will accept paypal. That's how I paid the 3 times I rented.

First time I rented I was a little nervous about it, but now it's no big deal. While the Rental sites mentioned are nice for peace of mind, you can get a better $/point rate by doing a little more legwork yourself and finding an individual point renter at the above forum.

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
I almost rented points once, it was a friend of a friend so I wasn't very concerned about losing my money. I ended up not needing the points though and the woman was very nice about refunding my money since I gave her very advanced notice.

There are a number of other forums that are more DVC related that have rental boards. That is a good place to start if you are looking for points, but as you said nothing is a guarantee when you are dealing with an individual. There are also rental brokers out there that can help facilitate a rental with someone which makes the transacation much safer. David's DVC rental (www.dvcrequest.com) is a forum sponsor and one of the most popular agents that take care of this. The major difference in renting yourself or through someone is price. Most private transactions go for about $10 a point, while a broker is usually in the area of $13. It really is a matter of preference if the extra money is worth the peace of mind by going through a broker. If you do decide to go private, your best bet is to check references of a person and use a contract and paypal to take care of the transaction.

I've rented points 3 times in the past for a 1BR suite at the Boarwalk villas.

At it's simplest, the process would be something like this:

First thing you'll need to know is how many points you'll need to rent. Use this calculator to check different DVC resorts and room types to see point values for your travel dates. Sun-Thurs rates are the lowest, along with the typical "Disney season" rates. (ie: value season will be the least amount of points).

You'll probably wanna pick 2 or 3 resorts cause if you're within a couple months of your trip, availability can be slim sometimes. So giving a DVC member 2 or 3 places to check is always good cause the DVC member has to phone DVC Member services to check for rooms.

Once you have your points, look for a renter here (will need to register I think). Pretty much just find someone renting how ever many points you need at a price you'd like (I never go for anything over $10/point) and send 'em an email with your request. (ie: 1BR at BWV for such and such dates).

You can ask for references, contact info, etc... from a renter too.

The DVC member will check availability, and book it if you agree to it. Most will accept payment via paypal. That's how I paid the 3 times.

Thank you both for your replies. So I think I have a lot of the information I need, now I just need to actually do it.

I've been looking at dvcrequest.com and dvcrentalstore.com and wasn't sure if there are any major differences between the two. I was hoping that going through either of these would be at least a little more secure than finding someone on my own.

Thanks again!

Pioneer Hall

Thank you both for your replies. So I think I have a lot of the information I need, now I just need to actually do it.

I've been looking at dvcrequest.com and dvcrentalstore.com and wasn't sure if there are any major differences between the two. I was hoping that going through either of these would be at least a little more secure than finding someone on my own.

Thanks again!

Not sure if there are any big differences. I know that dvcrequest is very popular and has a great reputation. I have definitely seen more people using David when it comes to their rentals.

dizzney

As an owner, I have rented out extra points of ours using David and he's very easy to deal with from the other side also. Those of us with points also need assurances, and there have been a few ugly stories where owners have been charged with additional costs due to damage or charges incurred byt eh retner, and using David as a go-between is more comfortable for us too. I recommend him highly

BoardwalkGlenn

Original Poster
As an owner, I have rented out extra points of ours using David and he's very easy to deal with from the other side also. Those of us with points also need assurances, and there have been a few ugly stories where owners have been charged with additional costs due to damage or charges incurred byt eh retner, and using David as a go-between is more comfortable for us too. I recommend him highly

Sounds like David's site is the way to go! Thanks for the input.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom