Renting an ECV

DimpledDevil18

My family and I are so far planning on our next Disney trip in Aug of 2020. We have a ways to go, (we haven't even booked yet) but we are getting the itch and are beginning to make initial plans. Our last trip was in 2016 and during that trip we wound up renting my Mom a wheel chair after maybe half a day in the parks when we realized she wasn't going to be able to handle the walking anymore due to her having knee surgery a few months prior. It worked out great and my Mom actually prefers being in a wheel chair when we go to places that require a lot of walking.

Since our last trip in the addition to the bad knees she also suffered a heart attack last year. She is doing great now and has lost quite a bit of weight since, but she still gets tired after walking long distances and being on our feet too long. She's decided that for this trip she'd like to rent an ECV so that none of us have to push her.

I know that it is cheaper to rent an ECV from an outside company and that they will deliver it your resort. Our only concern is navigating to and from the parks with it. I know that the ECVs can be loaded relatively easily on the buses and this seems like the easiest option. We were talking about not renting a car this time around, but my Dad doesn't like having to be at the mercy of the Disney bus system all the time. He likes the freedom of having a car to get around. Have any of you guys rented ECV's from outside companies? Did you take the bus with them or transport them in your own vehicle? Is it even possible to do so? Or are we just better off renting them in the parks even though its more expensive? If we do rent a car it would be a mini van with fold down seats and there will most likely only be 4 of us going.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My daughter tore the meniscus in one of her knees 3 weeks before our trip to Universal. We rented from one of the outside companies. As we live only 4 hours north of the Orlando area, we always drive. We had a meeting with the Disney wedding planners scheduled during our trip to Uni. The ECV we rented broke down into 3 pieces - base, seat, battery - so it could fit in the back of my SUV. It was heavy to lift, but my SIL is strong and the two of us had no problem getting it in and out of my vehicle. When the ECV is delivered, ask the employee how to take it apart. But make sure you rent something larger than a sedan as you won't be able to close the trunk otherwise. Any of the small SUVs, like the Ford Edge, will be fine.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Before I bought my own, we used Buena Vista Scooters on a number of occasions...they were great, price was fair and yes, they delivered it right to the resort. The ECV that you rent can NOT be "broken down" and put in the trunk of a car. The Disney bus system will be able to handle it with no problems. One piece of advice I DO give all ECV renters is, BEFORE making your first trip onto the bus and into a park, have mom take 15 - 20 minutes at the resort to drive it around and get a feel for it. Even if she owned one, every brand is different and reacts differently as well. Let her practice turning, stopping, backing up, etc. That time she spends on the first day will be the BEST 15-20 minutes you will spend all vacation!! It will make her (and the family's stress level) go WAY down, because she will feel more comfortable. Ask them if they have a cover you can rent in case it rains, and ALWAYS bring the charger cord with you!! If she's using it a lot, (which she will), you can always plug it it for a little recharge while on a ride or at a restaurant...just ask a CM, they have always been GREAT allowing me to recharge. One last thing...don't forget to plug it in the MINUTE you get back to the resort at night...there's nothing worse than to forget to plug in at night, only to find you're at 25% in the morning when you're ready to leave. Follow that advice, and you guys will have an AWESOME, MAGICAL trip!! Good luck!!

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We rented a wheelchair in the parks for my wife due to some issues with a previous foot surgery.

We noticed quite often that the parks ran out of ECVs and were using wait lists. Noticed this on numerous occasions.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

We rented a wheelchair in the parks for my wife due to some issues with a previous foot surgery.

We noticed quite often that the parks ran out of ECVs and were using wait lists. Noticed this on numerous occasions.
Yes, plus they're big, clunky and you can't leave the park with them. That's another reason why the outside company's rentals are so much better.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
The ECV we rented broke down into 3 pieces - base, seat, battery - so it could fit in the back of my SUV. It was heavy to lift, but my SIL is strong and the two of us had no problem getting it in and out of my vehicle. When the ECV is delivered, ask the employee how to take it apart. But make sure you rent something larger than a sedan as you won't be able to close the trunk otherwise. Any of the small SUVs, like the Ford Edge, will be fine.

That's awesome! We will defintely have to see if we can request one of those. Between my brother and my Dad they should be able to lift it in and out of the car. Where did you rent from? If we do rent a car it'll be a mini van since that is what my Mom is used to driving at home anyway.

That was something else I was worried about. My family and I just spent the weekend at Hershey Park in PA and we arrived mid day on Sat and not only was the park packed, but there was not one ECV or wheelchair available for rent. Luckily just as we were about to put our names on the waiting list a gentleman came by in a wheelchair who was leaving the park. We made do with it, but the terrain in that park is quite hilly, so it made pushing her difficult. The next day we rushed like maniacs to get there at park opening to ensure she got an ECV. If we rent from an outside company at least we know we have it for the length of our stay

Thanks for all the advice! Still not sure if we are going to rent a car or not. I don't feel the need to, but my Dad doesn't want to waste time waiting on buses. We have plenty of time to decide.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's awesome! We will defintely have to see if we can request one of those. Between my brother and my Dad they should be able to lift it in and out of the car. Where did you rent from? If we do rent a car it'll be a mini van since that is what my Mom is used to driving at home anyway.

Either Walker or Mobility. I can't remember.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Don't forget about Minnie Vans as another option if you don't want to rent a car. I believe they can store scooters in the back.

Upvote 0

bee

I rented a scooter from ScooterBug last year when I had a serious abdominal injury and it made my vacation sooooo much better than renting a wheelchair or renting an EVC from the parks themselves. I definitely recommend renting from an outside company because then you won't have to worry about her walking between your room and the bus stop, the bus and the park entrance, etc.

I can't speak to using the bus personally because I stayed at the Swan and only went to Epcot so I didn't need the bus, but I'm sure you will be fine taking the bus.

Also, make sure she brings her cane for transferring from queues to ride vehicles, walking from ECV parking areas to restaurant tables, etc.

Upvote 0

Bronson55

Apple scooter ( a approved Disney vendor) rents a scooter that has a 250lb weight limit that easily breaks down to be transported in the trunk of a car. Go go sport transportable.
images.jpg
scooter, gogo4wheel.jpg

Upvote 0

Bronson55

Gold Mobility also rents the go go sport, and the person who delivered it showed me how to break it down. I've had excellent service from them.
It may be important to consider the following when renting while staying on property. Not having to wait on a delivery and pickup is a major perk. Just bring to bell captain or front desk and walk away.. Also having scooter there waiting for you upon arrival.
ENDED
Disney has selected specific wheelchair/ECV/scooter rental companies as “featured” vendors. This means these companies are the ONLY companies allowed to drop off rentals at the front desk/bell stand of a Disney resort for them to be held for guests. Guests using these companies are also allowed to return their rentals to their resort’s front desk when they check out. Vendors that are not on the featured list will have to arrange specific meeting times with their customers and deliver the rental in person. Likewise, when the rental is completed, the guest must make arrangements to deliver the scooter to the company. Disney will no longer provide a courtesy hold/storage for vendors not on the featured list. The current list is:
  • Buena Vista Scooter Rentals
  • Best Price Scooters and Strollers
  • Apple Scooter
  • ScooterBug
These vendors will continue to leave/pick up rental scooters with Disney resorts’ Bell Services.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom