Renting an ECV through a preferred vendor

2kidzmommie

So now my dh just tore is ACL, and now Superman is sidelined for a while. Our trip is coming up in Sept and he doesn't believe he will be "better than ever" before we leave. Anyone have any experience with renting with the preferred vendors? The good, the bad and/or the ugly? How far out do we need to reserve one? TIA

melmood2000

My father uses Walker Mobilty, our last trip he wanted to try and walk, and after the first day he was in so much pain from his back that he called Walker Mobility that evening. They had a scooter delieverd right to our resort the next morning. Very helpfull and prompt service.

Upvote 0

WLBound

We just reserved one for my husband through Buena Vista Scooter for this September. In addition to the scooter, we added on the canopy because he is sun-sensitive due to some of his meds so you might want to keep that in mind if they put your husband on any that have the same side effect. Even with sunscreen on he burns in half an hour or less (and that is up in the Northeast where the sun isn't quite as strong).

Upvote 0

WLBound

We have used Apple for at least our last 4 trips and have gotten good service. Of course my husband thinks the battery should last from early morning til late night and it doesn't always work that way. We found places where we can charge this vehicle so we can get back to the room at night.

Do you remember where the charging spots were? That would be good to know since we have some long days planned and this is a concern of mine. I haven't been able to find that info out anywhere.

Upvote 0

2kidzmommie

Original Poster
We just reserved one for my husband through Buena Vista Scooter for this September. In addition to the scooter, we added on the canopy because he is sun-sensitive due to some of his meds so you might want to keep that in mind if they put your husband on any that have the same side effect. Even with sunscreen on he burns in half an hour or less (and that is up in the Northeast where the sun isn't quite as strong).
I see you are up the road from us, we are in Fleetwood. Do they recommend booking early?

Upvote 0

WLBound

I see you are up the road from us, we are in Fleetwood. Do they recommend booking early?

Hello neighbor! I've come across a couple others from the Lehigh Valley area but it's always nice to find another. I checked with my husband because he's the one who made the res. They didn't say anything to him about problems with availability. Our TA at AAA told us they are a preferred vendor for WDW so my guess is they have a pretty good number of units but it wouldn't hurt to get a res soon since September seems to be pretty popular with the Free Dining. Hope it all goes well for you on your trip!

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

Our last trip my Dad used Buena Vista Scooters. They were great. They are one of the Disney approved vendors wich means they can leave the scooter at your Disney hotels bell desk and it will be waiting on you when you get there, and you can also leave it at the bell desk on the last day for them to pick up. If you use a non approved vendor you must set up a meeting time and place with them to recieve and return your scooter. Also if something should go wrong with the scooter at a park they have park access so the can bring a new scooter to you whever you are in the park, the non approved you must push the scooter from wherever you are when it breaks to outside of the park exit to get a new one. My friend had his mom's scooter from buena vista break down once and it was only 25 minutes from the time they called until they arrived with the new scooter, in Norway where she had broken down.

Upvote 0

MOXOMUMD

I can surely sympathize! After breaking my ankle last year and having setbacks I need to have surgery around my ACL right AFTER we come back from vacation. I had to rent a scooter because after three or four hours of walking my foot won't flex like it's supposed to but I refuse to cancel my trip. We have rented plenty of times last year, and will be again, from Walker Mobility. They are not preferred, which doesn't mean they aren't a good company, tney don't pa
y the fee to Disney to keep their rented scooters at the resort baggage area. They will work with you as to when you want the scooter delivered, usually within the first hour you arrive at the resort and will pick it up within one hour of your DME ride when leaving. If you hav
e a problem in the park (with Walker) they will come to you wherever you are. The more days you rent the cheaper it is. (Mine is costing $20 a day so worth having them deliver it.)

I would highly recommend reserving one early with whichever company you choose to go with. As to where to recharge, the best and only places we have done this is when eating at QS restaurants where you park the scooter and it's getting it's juice while you dine. Just don't forget to take your charger! Here is where I always find a plug:

AK--Pizzafari and Restaurantosaurus

MK--Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill's

EP--Sunshine Seasons and Liberty Inn

HS--Backlot Express and ABC Commissary

I would also recommend stopping by Guest Services and they can give you a booklet with helpful info such as where the reserved areas for Illuminations and MSEP are. These areas do fill fast just so you know. I hope this puts your mind at ease and hubby heals quickly. :) I can't wait to NOT need to rent a scooter again! :D

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

We always used Walker but they no longer can do a drop off without you being there, so now we use Apple. The scooter is at baggage claim when we arrive and we return it there. You can reserve well in advance in case of a price hike. Canceling is not a problem if you have to do that. Also they don't charge you till the day before delivery. They are much cheaper than Disney and you have the scooter at the resort and also ride the bus and take it to DTD.

Upvote 0

WLBound

I can surely sympathize! After breaking my ankle last year and having setbacks I need to have surgery around my ACL right AFTER we come back from vacation. I had to rent a scooter because after three or four hours of walking my foot won't flex like it's supposed to but I refuse to cancel my trip. We have rented plenty of times last year, and will be again, from Walker Mobility. They are not preferred, which doesn't mean they aren't a good company, tney don't pa
y the fee to Disney to keep their rented scooters at the resort baggage area. They will work with you as to when you want the scooter delivered, usually within the first hour you arrive at the resort and will pick it up within one hour of your DME ride when leaving. If you hav
e a problem in the park (with Walker) they will come to you wherever you are. The more days you rent the cheaper it is. (Mine is costing $20 a day so worth having them deliver it.)

I would highly recommend reserving one early with whichever company you choose to go with. As to where to recharge, the best and only places we have done this is when eating at QS restaurants where you park the scooter and it's getting it's juice while you dine. Just don't forget to take your charger! Here is where I always find a plug:

AK--Pizzafari and Restaurantosaurus

MK--Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill's

EP--Sunshine Seasons and Liberty Inn

HS--Backlot Express and ABC Commissary

I would also recommend stopping by Guest Services and they can give you a booklet with helpful info such as where the reserved areas for Illuminations and MSEP are. These areas do fill fast just so you know. I hope this puts your mind at ease and hubby heals quickly. :) I can't wait to NOT need to rent a scooter again! :D

Thanks for posting the charging areas! A dead battery sure doesn't make for a magical day.

Upvote 0

MOXOMUMD

Thanks for posting the charging areas! A dead battery sure doesn't make for a magical day.
You are welcome. They're not listed as "official" anywhere. They are all just regular sockets in the wall that the janitorial staff use at closing time but the restaurant does not mind you using. I found most of these by asking the dining area CMs and they were happy to help. Depending on which resort you are staying at, there are places to plug your scooter in near the pool (near bathrooms/laundry) if you want to charge while swimming.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

We always used Walker but they no longer can do a drop off without you being there, so now we use Apple. The scooter is at baggage claim when we arrive and we return it there. You can reserve well in advance in case of a price hike. Canceling is not a problem if you have to do that. Also they don't charge you till the day before delivery. They are much cheaper than Disney and you have the scooter at the resort and also ride the bus and take it to DTD.

Also,Apple will bring you a new fully charged battery free of charge if the worst happens and your battery dies even if it is your fault the battery died

Upvote 0

obrienIII

My immediate and extended family always use Walker Mobility. Never had any problems, and have never had a battery need charging during the day. We just plug it in at night, and it's good to go the next day. I also add the canopy sun shade because my Mom is very light complected.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom