Rented DVC points..free upgrade?

DMDJ232

We will be staying at the "World" June 2nd - June 16th at AKL Lodge Jambo with a Standard View Deluxe Studio. We booked it using DVC rented points. (Paul from dvcrentalstore.com did a GREAT joband would def recommend him to anyone considering renting points). My question is, what are the odds of getting a free upgrade to perhaps a Savanah View room at check-in? I forgot to mention that we will be celebrating my girlfriends bday during our stay and would that have an impact on the upgrade as well? THANK YOU!!

Rob562

We will be staying at the "World" June 2nd - June 16th at AKL Lodge Jambo with a Standard View Deluxe Studio. We booked it using DVC rented points. (Paul from dvcrentalstore.com did a GREAT joband would def recommend him to anyone considering renting points). My question is, what are the odds of getting a free upgrade to perhaps a Savanah View room at check-in? I forgot to mention that we will be celebrating my girlfriends bday during our stay and would that have an impact on the upgrade as well? THANK YOU!!

DVC upgrades are much less likely than a regular reservation, since the "vacation club/timeshare" aspect makes the financial model different for villa units.

Doesn't mean that it *can't* happen, just that it's rare when it does.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Wesleyjohn

I'm a DVC member. During a slow time we were upgraded once at AKL. If there is any of the DVC resorts that you have a chance, it's there in my opinion. When I'm trying to book an extra day or something AK is the first place they ask my to stay due to availability. Due to the length of your stay it'll pry be tough.

What's the worst they can do - say "no"

Also, the short time we were there it was either bad luck or something. View is good but there was like 1 zebra and then somehthing else like 400-500 yards out. I wanna see animals if I were to get that view. Just saying. Good Luck

Upvote 0

jimjjr

We have stayed 3 different times at ak using our points. Each time, our "value" accommodation has turned out to have partial, if not total, savannah view. If you stay in ostrich trail (front left wing), ask for an even numbered room. Chances are it will be savannah view. We have seen lots of animals there.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

It CAN happen but as people have said it is much less likely than if you're in a regular room. The only time we really ever did the free upgrades to savannah views are when the resort is really empty and even then, most of the time we were doing it in the "regular hotel" part and not DVC. It doesn't hurt to ask of course but the CM is most likely going to go straight to the manager for approval and it probably won't happen. Of course it's always worth a shot, just wanted to be realistic with you. Either way you're going to have a great room. DAKL is awesome (although I may be slightly biased). =)

Upvote 0

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
DVC upgrades are much less likely than a regular reservation, since the "vacation club/timeshare" aspect makes the financial model different for villa units.

Doesn't mean that it *can't* happen, just that it's rare when it does.

-Rob

Out of 20+ DVC stays in the past 4/5 years it has only occurred to us once. We stayed for a week and they had us bouncing rooms. The desk member said it was unacceptable and had a manager fix us up.

Upvote 0

luv

You most likely won't get an upgrade. The birthday won't help. Almost everyone there is celebrating something.

The AKL is doing less upgrades than it once did, and you have the DVC thing, too.

If a good view is something you reeeeaally want, book one!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Lynne M

Upgrades on DVC point stays generally happen only when there's a maintenance issue that takes the unit you would have been assigned to out of service, AND there are no other units of that type available.

If a member asks for an upgrade at check-in, and one is available, the points can be taken out of the members account to cover the difference. Since you're renting, you won't have that option, and you can't pay the difference in cash.

If you really want a savannah view, contact the owner and see if they can get the reservation changed. It's unlikely, at this late date, and you will have to compensate the owner for the difference, but it's possible something may be available, either at Jambo or Kidani.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom