RENTAL COMPANIES FOR DVC POINTS

Charjen

I'm currently working with a company to rent DVC Points for next year. From my understanding all companies had the same access to members renting their points. Am I correct, or did I misunderstand that. The current company I am working with sees availability for my room/resort request, but currently does not have any DVC members renting their points regarding my specific requests. Should I submit a request with a separate company to see if they have anyone renting points regarding my dates and resort, or would they have the same access and knowledge as the current company I am working with??

Thanks in advance! Also, I AM SUPER NEW AT THE DVC POINT RENTAL!

nickys

Premium Member
DVC owners have to register with a company (known as a broker) to rent their points out.

So different brokers will have different owners registered with them..

What will be the same is the actual availability of DVC rooms. The rooms are booked by the owners, not the brokers.

If broker A tells you the room is available but they don’t have an owner with the right points, then broker B may have an owner with the right points to be able to book.

But if broker A tells you there is no available rooms at your chosen resort for the dates you want, then the only way broker B could get you what you want is if they have an owner who has already booked a room and wants to offload it - which is highly unlikely.

Upvote 0

Charjen

Original Poster
DVC owners have to register with a company (known as a broker) to rent their points out.

So different brokers will have different owners registered with them..

What will be the same is the actual availability of DVC rooms. The rooms are booked by the owners, not the brokers.

If broker A tells you the room is available but they don’t have an owner with the right points, then broker B may have an owner with the right points to be able to book.

But if broker A tells you there is no available rooms at your chosen resort for the dates you want, then the only way broker B could get you what you want is if they have an owner who has already booked a room and wants to offload it - which is highly unlikely.
THANK YOU!!
So in your opinion, would you submit a request through another company and see who gets an owner first? Then cancel with the other one?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
THANK YOU!!
So in your opinion, would you submit a request through another company and see who gets an owner first? Then cancel with the other one?

You need to be careful.

I’ve rented my points through David’s. They send out an email to several owners saying “Chargen wants a Bay Lake 1-bed for these dates, it will use x no. of points”. The first person to say they can book it gets given the details and then books the room.

Not sure how the other brokers work, You could find both brokers are successful in booking your requested room.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I did this with David's once: after I found out they didn't immediately have a member with the points to satisfy my reservation request (and that the resort/room category I wanted had dwindling inventory), I asked them to waitlist me, and ALSO informed them I was making the same reservation request with DVC Rental Store, and would take the first reservation I could get with either company. Then I watched my e-mail like a hawk. A few weeks later, David's sent me a "congratulations, we got you your reservation" e-mail. I immediately called (as in, within 60 seconds of seeing the e-mail, I was dialing the number for DVC Rental Store, which I kept next to the phone) and canceled my request with DVC Rental Store.

As @nickys warned, had I not been checking my e-mail frequently or been unable to act immediately when I received word they'd secured my reservation, there was a possibility that I might have ended up with two reservations -- one through each broker, at which point I COULD have ended up "on the hook" for both, since generally, payment is due, in full, immediately upon the securing of a reservation. If you're thinking of doing this, I'd suggest calling both brokers ahead of time to find out exactly what their policies are if you somehow ended up getting simultaneous reservations with both. (*Note: I've called David's and DVC Rental Store multiple times in the past. Their employees are friendly, knowledgeable and eager to answer your questions, so don't hesitate to contact them if you still have concerns after checking out their websites! You'll get ahold of a real, live, English-speaking, on-site employee -- not someone in a call center thousands of miles away.) Given that a DVC reservation is usually a non-refundable, immediate-payment-required deal, having 2 requests at once may not ultimately be worth the risk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeanCounterBob

I have used DVC Rental Store and it was a breeze to rent out 2 trips for families looking to go. I really learned how to utilize my membership because of this site too. They sent checks within 2 days of the bookings as well. They start out with paying 75% and then the other 25% comes once they check in. I did have to do some work though on renting them. I was under the impression they would get in touch with me about openings. They don't, what they do is update their listings page. Since my home is AKL I could only rent out for guests wanted 0-7 months out. When it all came down to it I was able to to my first rental less than two weeks after joining. The second was took a few months; but that was due to it being 25 points or something. Small stays like that do not really pop up

Upvote 0

mololy

I just rented points using DVC Rental Store for the first time. It took about a week for them to find a member with the points I needed. This confused me at first, since the first communication said that their was openings but were still looking for a member to book the reservation and I had initially thought that they would not message me until a member had secured the reservation.

If the communication you received was a definitive "we do not have anyone renting these points" then I'd say to try another company. Otherwise I think wait at least a week or two to see if anything comes up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom