Rental car vs Disney Transportation to the Parks

dweitzel0

My wife and I have rented a car for the time we will be at WDW, but I have also heard that the busses to and from the hotels are great. We are staying at the Music Resort, any suggestions as to whether we should drive or take the buss to the different parks?

trdisneyfan

Unless they're giving you free parking to bring your rented car into one of the main lots (Epcot, Transportation & Ticket Center, etc) it'll save you money just to use the resort's free transportation. Just use your car to do anything else, such as get food/supplies from nearby shops (a good way to save money and preserve sanity by not doing every meal on Disney property).

The busses work pretty efficiently, along with the other forms of transportation at the resort - boats, monorail, etc.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Since you are staying at Music, you won't have to pay for parking on WDW property, unless you pay for valet service at one of the deluxe resorts. Just make sure your parking permit is in the dash as you drive through the toll plaza.

Are you renting a car just so you can drive around WDW?

I'd save the money and only rent for days that you are going off property. Not use that money for a car that you won't use.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Since I never go off WDW property I don't even bother with a rental car. I'll either take Mears or a car service to POR and then it's all WDW transportation. I feel they do a great job (thanks guys) and have never encountered an inconvience that was so bad that i've even thought about a car. Yes, ocassionaly you may wait a bit longer than you would like for a bus, but overall as I just mentioned, they do a great job.

Plus my job requires me to drive around all day, when I get to WDW the only driving I want to do is the Indy Speedway !!!!

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

I agree.

I have never rented a car. I always stay on Disney property, and NEVER have any difficulties with their transportation. Well, a couple of minor incidents, but that was simply because of the resort we were staying at.

I've stayed at the All Stars MANY times, and as most will tell you, they probably have the best service for buses on Disney property. You never have a wait of more than 10-15 minutes top for a bus.

Also, it can be a pain in the neck to park, walkt to the main gate, walk back, then fight traffic getting out. If you're spending all your time on Disney property, it's an expense (and inconvenience) that you can most certainly spare.

Upvote 0

bhg469

when i stayed there the transportation was less than i expected. I would take the car to the park if you know you will be there till it closes or you will be on a bus that is packed to the gills

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

Honestly, alot depends on when you are going.

There's no doubt that the buses for certain resorts can be overcrowded.

Honestly though, staying at the All Stars, you generally don't run into bus problems. The best thing about staying at the Music Resort is that if there are seperate buses for each All Star Resort, you could take any one of them, get off at any of them, and have a very short walk to the music, as it is right in the middle.

Upvote 0

bhg469

your right actually when i stayed there i was only 18 i dont know if that is why but they put is in back and we ended up gatting off at all star sports because the walk to our room was much shorter than getting off at our own stop

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The other issue around driving yourself is navigation. The roadways are not marked very well for navigation, so you can spend a lot of time going in circles or getting to your destination by way of Datona... :confused:
You will notice that busses seldom/never follow the sign routes to a given destination.

While busses are busses, the monorails and boats are a fun part of the Disney experience (at least for me). The only times I have ever rented a car was when I was down for business or a conference. For vacation, we have a car take us to and from the airport and don't think for a second about driving in between!

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

I agree.

Disney Transporation (even the buses) is all part of the Disney experience.

Well no doubt, you can find your way around, it can be a bit taxing on your patience with traffic getting in and out of the parks. Buses are allowed down roads that cars are not, therefore you can generally arrive at your destination quicker.

When I'm on vacation, I don't wanna worry about any driving at all. That's what's so great about Disney.

Upvote 0

cindrelly31

Options

When we went for our honeymoon we stayed off-property a few days to go to Daytona Beach and see a shuttle take off. :lookaroun (Very cool!!)

When we got to Disney we turned in the car and used Disney transport the rest of the time and took a shuttle back to the airport.
---
When we went last year we had a rental car because we made the long trip from MI, through the west side of TN, back to SE Alabama, to WDW. :lookaroun :lookaroun We were glad we had the rental car to go to the waterparks because the bus service from OKW to the H2O parks was not that great. :zipit:
---
I have heard wonderful reviews of the bus service to and from the All-Stars (all of them). Like others have mentioned, if you have the rental car and are staying only at WDW, don't waste the $$. If you are doing anything off-property, use it until you get to WDW then turn it in.

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

You are exactly right.

We stayed at Old Key West for 5 nights last week and I was very disappointed with the bus service.

However, the All Stars rock as far as bus service go.

We were only at Pop Century for 1 night. They run alot of buses, but since there is only 1 bus stop for such a big hotel with so many people staying at it, lines get VERY long there.

Upvote 0

MotoDisney

We always rent a car. It never fails we need something like last trip my little girl got an ear infection and had to go to the emergency room. I also like being able to leave the park and not have to wait for a bus to go back to the resort. Formula is realy easy I've got an intermediate car for next week unlimited mileage for 121.00 with tax a Saturday to Saturday. Shuttle service roundtrip for 3 people @ 29.00 is 87.00 so it's cheaper but add in a taxi ride if you need to go off property and you're a bit closer. The one reason to rent a car is to be able to leave and go off property for dinner if you wish or even if you want to go to other resorts for dinner. From the movies to another resort you may have to catch 2 busses and take upwards of an hour. Your car 15 minutes.

Lastly I really believe it's a personal preference. Millions of people go without renting cars and love using the transportation system others want a little bit more flexability.

Have a great trip on whatever you decide either way you probably can't go wrong.

Moto

Upvote 0

kelleykevin

We always rent

I agree that it is a personal preference.

My wife and I always rent. We stay at POFQ and it is a two minute drive to downtown disney, which is very nice and saves a lot of time. And since we stay on property, parking at the parks is no charge. We take the car when staying at MGM or Animal Kingdom. If we are going to the Magic Kingdom or Epcot, we usually let the bus take us.

Having a car works out for getting to the resort and back to the airport a lot faster, in my opinion.

Riding the buses is part of the experience, and we do that when going to MK, but, having a car is a nice change sometimes.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

I like using WDW transportation, especailly to the parks. Since you don't have to park or wait in line it is much nicer, also it drops you off closer to the front of the park. We have stayed many times and didn't have a car. We normally use town car service with a store stop for food.

Last trip we flew into Orlando and rented a car to go to Vero Beach. We stopped at the charter outlet, that place is great. Now I want a car next time so we can do that again. However, only if I get a good price. I think I would just take a taxi from DTD otherwise.

Going from resort to resort or water parks if I had a car I would use it. AK seems to have poor bus transport and I might take the car there.

I would have to agree that I wasn't impressed with the bus service at OKW, never had much of a problem at any other resort.

We also agree that it is nice not to have to worry about the stress of driving and parking while on vacation.

Upvote 0

waltdisny

I know I'm in the minority here, but I much prefer to have my own car. I just find the busses to be a hassle, especially when I'm tired and lugging the kids along.

I also like to be able to go to Goodings Market and buy drinks and snacks for the room at reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

waltdisny said:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I much prefer to have my own car. I just find the busses to be a hassle, especially when I'm tired and lugging the kids along.

I also like to be able to go to Goodings Market and buy drinks and snacks for the room at reasonable prices.

Enjoy!
Goodings does not have reasonable prices.

Upvote 0

wolf29

We always rent a car, but do at times take advantage of Disney transportation. We stay at FW cabins and most often shop at the nearby Winn-Dixie. We have never had a problem with Disney transportation, just find it a little more convenient to have our own car with two young children.

Upvote 0

swimmom

When I'm at WDW I'm on a vacation that I never have to get behind the wheel of a car and I love it! We always allow plenty of time to get to where we are going and never get stressed out if there is a delay in the transportation.

For me not have to drive anywhere is part of the Magic!

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

We drive down to WDW so we have our car, we use it to go to mini golf...that's it. WDW transportation is definately part of our vacation experience.

On a side note to the poster who said they like to have a car in case of an illness. I became ill at WDW a few years ago and found out that there is a clinic on property that will send a car to pick you up at a resort and take you to the dr. and then bring you back when you have been treated. They also took me to a pharmacy. Very nice.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom