Rental Car Question

mecarroll

Original Poster
This is my first post but I've been reading a lot as I am planning my honeymoon that will take place in early Dec '06. I've already booked the package through Disney and it includes a Alamo rental car for the week. After reading SO many bad reports on the long lines at Alamo, I'm a little nervous. I don't want to spend the first part of my Disney Honeymoon waiting in line forever. I like the fact that Alamo will let you pick your own car (so I see from other postings). I checked other companies and the only rate that comes close to the $210 rate I got with Disney is Avis at about $240 (including taxes).

Should I fork out the extra $30 and not get to pick my own car or should I just wait in the line. Will lines really be that long mid-day on a Sunday in Decemeber?

Thanks for all of your help!

MagicPorcupine

Car Rental

On my first trip to WDW in 2000, I had an annoying experience with Alamo. The "free" rental included in the vacation package ended up costing me an extra $300 or so. This was because we were a fairly large party of 7 people. Although I had pointed this out when booking I was assured the free rental vehicle would be big enough. When we arrived (our flight was late and we arrived after midnight and we were all tired and frustrated) we had to wait nearly half an hour before we reached the front of the line. Then we discovered the "large" rental car was nowhere near big enough and we had to upgrade to an adequate vehicle at extra cost. There were also extra insurance costs to pay. Added to that the fact that we only used the car twice during the week (to go to Seaworld and Universal) as we were staying in a Disney resort, the "free" car rental certainly was poor value for money! :(
I learnt my lesson and next time used public transport - much cheaper AND in the end turned out to be more convenient.
The good news is that the rest of the vacation went really well and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We've been back since, and we're also looking forward to our next trip to WDW on July 31st this year - not many weeks to go YAY!:sohappy:
So....make sure you will REALLY need to use the rental car, beware of added insurance costs or upgrades, and beware of long waits to collect the car (and dropping it off at the end of the vacation - make sure you leave plenty of time for this). As I said, my experience was with Alamo - other companies might be better, or Alamo might have been having an off day.
Have a great trip.

We just used Alamo on our recent vacation (May 19th-26th) and were very pleased. We paid under $200 for the entire week for a compact (There were only 2 people). We flew in at 3:00 in the afternoon and there was no line at all. However, we did fly into Orlando Sanford Not MCO, that could make a difference. The only "complaint" I would have is to watch when you pick up your car. They try to sneak in extra insurance that is not necessary, especially if you are over 25 (if you have full coverage on your own vehicle at home, most insurance companies will also cover a rental car). Hope this helps :animwink:

dnswalker

We have booked with Alamo for our visit July 31 - Aug 10 and found out that we could check in online and hopefully not have to stand in any lines. There are some restrictions for checking in online like only one driver, but that isn't to big of a deal for us. Hopefully this will be as easy as they make it sound. :lookaroun

miles1

dnswalker said:
We have booked with Alamo for our visit July 31 - Aug 10 and found out that we could check in online and hopefully not have to stand in any lines. There are some restrictions for checking in online like only one driver, but that isn't to big of a deal for us. Hopefully this will be as easy as they make it sound. :lookaroun

From my experience, it would be a good idea to buy new brake pads and a child safety seat online for the car before you pick it up.

miles1

Yes, although it was some time ago (Sept. 2001). This was the absolute last time I used Alamo, or accepted it as part of a travel package. The child seat we were given (reserved in advance) looked to be at least 10 years old and was totally unsafe. On top of that, by the time I got to the on ramp for the highway, the brakes on the car were grinding terribly, and by the sound of it had been doing so for quite some time. The agent at the Alamo desk (only one of two on duty) didn't see any problem with either situation and nearly refused to do anything about it.

I've used National ever since and have been very pleased.

togasports

Also, a good local company is Eagle Rent A Car. I have had great experience with them, and they also rent for those 18+. The only downside, is they are not at the airport. You have to take a shuttle to them.

RickEff

My advice is to use Disney's Magical Express....

Check in...

Board a bus to Downtown Disney and enjoy lunch at House of Blues or someplace else nice...

Get on the bus to the Dolphin, and pick up your car from there. On the last day, reverse the process. I can't stand the airport pickup at ANY car rental place in Orlando. The time on the bus will be a lot more pleasant than in line at the airport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom