Rent a car OR Disney transportation ?

TnkrBelPixiDust

I would say to definatly use the Disney transportation... it's really convient. I've done both and would have to say that Disney transportation is the way to go. If I go off property (which I only have once) then I just give Mears a call! Hope this helped! :sohappy:

Mr Smee

We rent a car only because we resort hop for dinner. Sometimes the busses will add as much as 45 minutes to an hour traveling from resort to resort. With our 2 year old its sometimes better to get in a car and go.

Number_6

I've been down to Disney tons of times and I always use Disney Transportation. Next week when I go down will be the first time I get a rental car when I get there. I'm going to be looking at houses though, so that's the reason I'm getting it. But when I go to the parks, I'm just going to take Disney Transport. Besides, when I usually go now, I have my family with me and my son would never forgive me if we didn't use the Disney Buses and Monorails. :lol:

Heyyall

I'd definitely say Disney Transportation. Every year, we use the Disney Transport everyday of our two week stay, and we think it works perfectly. Of course, it may depend on the resort you're staying at. Coronado Spring's transport is never crowded, even at closing time, and we never waited an unreasonable amount of time for a bus. However, I do know that the All-Star's bus system can get VERY crowded, and sometimes it might pay to get a rental car. It does depend on the resort, as some have better transportation than others, but I think that the Disney Transportation works just fine. Also, I really think that it adds a little magic, and its more relaxing not having to drive everywhere, and taking a bus. I find it to be more "disney". :wave:

tigger1968

We always fly in to Orlando and take a cab or Mears, depending on the size of our group. I love the fact that I don't need to carry keys for a week, and just have to catch a bus to go where I want to go. For us, it's part of the vacation experience. We actually had a car on our first trip down years ago. We stayed at CBR, and the car never moved the whole time we were there. We've talked about renting one if we decided to leave the property, but we never can find a good reason to leave!

Chux

We've never had a problem with the disney bus. You don't ever have to worry about parking, gas, or directions. More often than not the busses are 10 or so minutes apart.

MotoDisney

I've always rented a car and have on several occasions almost relied on disney tranportation. We have a little girl and with the stroller and waiting or getting on a bus with her is not a walk in the park. When your little one is tired or even yourself sometimes you just want to be able to get in and go. The air conditioner is great and you're always gauranteed a seat. I believe Mears if 29 roundtrip X 3 or 4 people is approx. 90 - 120 dollars. I am usually able to rent a full size car from National or Enterpries for roughly 150 with taxes included. for the extra 30 to 60 dollars It's been well worth it to come and go as I please. We often visit other resorts for dinner and venture down to International Drive or the outlets. Other times it's come in handy is:

Double Ear infection for daughter and had to go to Emergency Room

Wife lost contact had to go to get replacement

Grocery Shopping trips at own time and pace desired

Ran out of Film go to Walmart one evening cheaper than on site

There are several reasons to rent cars or not to. I believe they all have advantages but it just seems like everytime we go there is at least one point in the trip where we say good thing we had a car. If I were single or just the two of us would probably not rent a car but with a little one you never know what you'll need next.

No matter what at least you still get to experience the magic.

In Wonderland

DH and I rarely rent a car wherever we vacation. We typically rely on walking and public transporation (or taxis) when we fly to our destination. Disney was no different for us. We used a towncar service to get to the resort and relied on Disney transportation the rest of the trip. We stayed at the Beach Club and transportation was great. Also, our trip was in May, so crowds were not a big issue yet. I can see that in the more crowded times a car might be a nice thing, especially if the buses from your resort are very crowded.

wannab@dis

We drive down to Disney, so we have our car with us. We use it to resort hop and sometimes drive to MK. Other than that, it usually just takes up space! :)

A little off topic, but maybe someone can help... what's the average taxi fair for getting around Disney? And the most expensive... from one corner (All Stars) to the other (DTD).

drjny

Use both!!!

We like to use both when we go to the "world". :) For the direct trips to the park the busses are better for getting to the front of the park and avoiding having to use the trams. But for transfering between resorts, a rental car is much better since it's easier than taking two busses going to and coming from the resort. The car also comes in handy to going off property like Uno's, Goodings, or Pirate's Cove miniature golf.

This past trip last week it was the first trip we did not have a rental car and what a pain it was to get from Old Key West to the resort next door, Saratoga Spring Resort. We took a bus to Epcot, and then a bus to the market place to get back. What a pain and time consumer. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom