Removal of movies on Disney Plus - a harbinger of things to come?

mharrington

Original Poster
You keep making appeals to slippery slopes that aren't going to happen.

You don't know if they will or won't happen. No one does. I really would like to be proven wrong, but I just don't know. If they had outright stated that it would affect only children's accounts and nothing else, that's fine, but they didn't, so I have to assume it's open-ended. Once again, I would like to be proven wrong. Maybe some proof would be nice.

ppete1975

Its childrens accounts... which means they want kids to watch them with their parents so the parents can explain any questions they have. (In theory), or explain how some things arent pc anymore. I promise you Dumbo is going nowhere, the ride isnt going anywhere, the movie (could be edited) isnt going anywhere.. even with the live action one being made. Peter pan.. safe... aristocats more safe today than 10 years ago. Why? merchandise. The cats from aristocats is now bringing in money and are very popular (more than the movie the merchandise).. and dont compare it to splash mountain.. the merch was never that popular and the ride can be rethemed and get great publicity for being "woke", its not a coincidence what movie is replacing it, tinkerbell... huge money maker... peter pans ride.. huge line (and cant easily be reimagined). They might be edited, the rides might have scenes tweaked but they are safe.

Swiss family robinson... more murky due to no merchandising, and although its iconic the tree is just a walk on. The small movies nobody talks about those are the ones that might disappear, and some of the shorts might go away.

brb1006

Its childrens accounts... which means they want kids to watch them with their parents so the parents can explain any questions they have. (In theory), or explain how some things arent pc anymore. I promise you Dumbo is going nowhere, the ride isnt going anywhere, the movie (could be edited) isnt going anywhere.. even with the live action one being made. Peter pan.. safe... aristocats more safe today than 10 years ago. Why? merchandise. The cats from aristocats is now bringing in money and are very popular (more than the movie the merchandise).. and dont compare it to splash mountain.. the merch was never that popular and the ride can be rethemed and get great publicity for being "woke", its not a coincidence what movie is replacing it, tinkerbell... huge money maker... peter pans ride.. huge line (and cant easily be reimagined). They might be edited, the rides might have scenes tweaked but they are safe.

Swiss family robinson... more murky due to no merchandising, and although its iconic the tree is just a walk on. The small movies nobody talks about those are the ones that might disappear, and some of the shorts might go away.
Marie to be specific, since Disney has tried to make animated content starring her twice in the past.

Last edited:

brb1006

Tried but never got anything out, or, they got something done and I don't know about it?
It's the "Tried but never got anything"

Since the mid 1990s, Marie from The Aristocats has started to become a very popular character from the film (especially in Brazil, Japan, and Asia). Disney quickly took notice of this and started creating tons of merchandise featuring her beginning in the late 90s and early 2000s. She even became the solo representation of the movie besides Thomas o'Malley (she even replaced him alongside Scat Cat and the Alley Cats in recent years). During that period, the 1961 animated film 101 Dalmatians was gaining a resurge in popularity with the public after the 1996 live-action adaptation and the 1997 TV Series. Somebody at Disney wanted to make "The Aristocats" became its own franchise similar to 101 Dalmatians (judging by Marie's cameo appearance in Flubber via clip from Weebo and a brief clip showing the kittens from the 1996 101 Dalmatians movie). As a result, Disney attempted to make two animated projects focused on Marie.

Disney's first attempt was around 2003, when Disney was working on an animated series called "The Aristocats: the animated series" (similar to "101 Dalmatians The Series") that was planned to air on Toon Disney (now Disney XD). It never got made with only three pieces of concept art surfacing online. Similar to "101 Dalmatians: the series" the kittens were given more cartoonish design, aged up, and were anthropomorphic.
Qqu2kpw.png

eF6Obur.gif

9LOSGoC.jpg

More information can be read here.

Their second attempt was a sequel to The Aristocats where Marie and the kittens were teenagers and involved the cats traveling on a cruise around the world. It planned to have Marie given her own love interest and was the main protagonist. They even casted Tara Strong to voice Marie, while Cree Summer was casted as Toulouse. The sequel alongside the animated series was quickly canned after John Lasseter became the head of Disney's Animation division and acquiring Pixar.

Since both animated works never made it past the drawing board. Disney stuck to books where Marie was the main protagonist and took place after the events of the original movie (such as "Disney Marie" by Kitty Richards, and the 2012 book "The Aristocats: The Runaway Kittens" (known in Sweden as "Marie på rymmen", "Marie on the run" which is only available in Sweden, United Kingdom, and Australia and was part of "Disney Wonderful World Of Reading" collection published by Hachette Partworks.)
xJSclS2.jpg

qp4VdFO.jpg

Now that we're in the era of Disney+, maybe Disney might someday revisit "The Aristocats" as an animated series, but with some changes but keeping Marie as the main protagonist. Heck, the animated series could revisit the plot from the cancelled sequel where it involved a jewel thief.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

This action of banning (censoring) children's show will cause them to be wildly popular with the kids.
It might have an adverse reaction, LOL. AFterall, all kids like to watch what they can't.
It only makes them more attractive to kids. And guess what, they can actually see them, laugh, have a good time watching the shows, and make up their own minds what is right or wrong. What a concept!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Torpedo'ing Splash Mountain is pretty far down the slippery slope as far as I'm concerned.
1. We were talking about banning movies, like SotS, which is highly unlikely to happen since Disney is 'solving' that issue with parental control and warning labels.

2. See #1 regarding specifically, SotS.

But I'm sure they don't have pirates. At least, not Asian pirates.
I'll echo what others have said. What's wrong with having Asian pirates? If that was the problem, then At World's End would be "offensive" as well. Any ethnicity can play pirates. Fact.
If I were betting, I'd say the issue lies with the treatment of animals in Swiss Family Robinson. The elephant scene early on comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll echo what others have said. What's wrong with having Asian pirates? If that was the problem, then At World's End would be "offensive" as well. Any ethnicity can play pirates. Fact.
If I were betting, I'd say the issue lies with the treatment of animals in Swiss Family Robinson. The elephant scene early on comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.
From Disney...

1612444981932.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom